We need more modders and scenarios makers

On 12/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yes please.....That would be perfect (I didn't want to mess with your scenario map, as I intend to play the battle).  B)

That would be ideal.....My intent is to convert it to CM:BS, for my 'Fragmentistan' concept.  :ph34r:

Blank master map of the area. Think I've removed all flavour objects.

Haven't played CMBS for awhile as I've been busy on this, but it is my favourite, so will be interesting to use the conversion, good luck.

Stavelot Master TheForger.btt

@theforgerReally looking forward to your end product here.  Sounds like you put a lot of time and thought into it.  Historical and well researched is my preferred combination.  I'm happy to playtest or review individual scenarios.

Many years ago I created a Malemedy West/Skorzeny map in CMBN and then updated it to CMFB.  It includes accurate TOE including names for the main leaders, tank comanders and even Francis Currey with his zook (CMH recipient in the battle).  Happy to share my map and the btt if it would help.  I almost had Fuser's help with the M10/Panther conversion but never quite made it.

Also, have given your Mission to Maas a spin a couple of times and really enjoy the more operational feel and decisions. Well done! I tweeked it a bit, added 251/21s as a few of the pioneer command vehicles instead of 251/17s as they had quite a few there.  Also thinking about making it tougher on the germans by adding some P47s and have McCowns battalion or a company intercept the main road as they did during the battle.

Really enjoyed the first half of Mission to Maas but felt it was too easy to send the majority of forces to the south and take the road west from there - thus avoiding the forests to the west of the first objective.  Maybe make that road and the bridges a little harder to traverse so it is a less attractive option?

Would be interested in your modified scenario so hope you post it.

2 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Someone's been a good commander and sent his men on an alternative route,

Having been a playtester for CM2 and other projects for many years it seems normal to always try something different to see how the designer may have predicted and handled that possibility (or if the scenario design breaks down).  

AI produced quick battles automatically creating land for the region and time period and structures etc would have prevented this boredom from the player seeing the same map over and over and over and forcing limited amount of scenario creators as the only method out of it  doesn't work good. Problem easily solved by a auto generated map would increase play ability.

Edited by user1000

On 12/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, Rastamon said:

@theforgerReally looking forward to your end product here.  Sounds like you put a lot of time and thought into it.  Historical and well researched is my preferred combination.  I'm happy to playtest or review individual scenarios.

Many years ago I created a Malemedy West/Skorzeny map in CMBN and then updated it to CMFB.  It includes accurate TOE including names for the main leaders, tank comanders and even Francis Currey with his zook (CMH recipient in the battle).  Happy to share my map and the btt if it would help.  I almost had Fuser's help with the M10/Panther conversion but never quite made it.

Also, have given your Mission to Maas a spin a couple of times and really enjoy the more operational feel and decisions. Well done! I tweeked it a bit, added 251/21s as a few of the pioneer command vehicles instead of 251/17s as they had quite a few there.  Also thinking about making it tougher on the germans by adding some P47s and have McCowns battalion or a company intercept the main road as they did during the battle.

@Rastamon Would be very interested in your research, thanks for the offer!

The area of South West of Malmedy has changed a lot since the war, probably more than most of the Peiper route. I spent sometime looking for Currey's House to model in the scenario. The closest I've found is from Jay Karamales / Reynolds YouTube video taken in 1993, 1 hour 23 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zETC2h4PqZo

Trying to look for an aerial photo I found reference to Nat Archives, Malmedy Map 3 US 30/5198 taken 24th December 1944. I found a resulting sketch map but finding the photo I think would help with map accuracy. A photo / detailed description of the PaperMill would help a lot too as the site has been redeveloped. 

At the moment my map is 1.5km (width) x 2km (depth). But I've not done any testing so it may change a little.

I've rotated the map NW. This has helped with the Warche Bridge and has left me with the ability to have 2 of the most significant roads on straight sections of in game road, helping to recreate line of sight. Ave du Pont de Warche, now runs completely straight, top to bottom of my in game map to Currey's House and final section of Route de Falize to the Underpass is at 45 degrees. I used the same technique for the Stavelot map earlier in this thread.

Regarding the overall TOE of the campaign, it excludes this specific battle, I've used Duel In The Mist 2, from page 205, so the KG Grenadiers/Pioneers transport has in this campaign a different look to the Mass scenario. 

I've renamed every tank in the campaign with number/commander, taken from Duel In The Mist 3, page 218 onwards. This excludes KG X which isn't documented in those books, so again taking advantage of your research would help, thank you.

Well, I took the plunge and started designing a small campaign (just starting with a single scenario and progressing from there). I'm using Battle for Normandy since that's the one I currently own (of the WWII ones). Once I experiment and get the design process down, as much as feasible, I'll probably get Final Blitzkrieg or Red Thunder and make a more detailed campaign.

Mostly finished first map attached. Really need to find some better screenshot software or learn how to better use what I got . . . 😕

CM Normandy 2020-12-26 21-10-44-23.jpg

So, looking at the Scenario Depot @thefewgoodmen.com for the Final Blitzkrieg module it seems to be seriously lacking in extra content (only 14 scenarios listed) (also a lot lower forum post count). Is this because it was the most recent module released (not counting the addon for other base modules)? At the moment, I'm torn between getting either Final Blitzkrieg or Red Thunder (or both 😁) but to be honest, late war East Front isn't something I really fancy so am leaning more towards FB. I'd just like to think that there's a decent size player base to justify me putting in the hours needed to design content.

47 minutes ago, Double Deuce said:

I'd just like to think that there's a decent size player base to justify me putting in the hours needed to design content.

There are those people here who convert maps from one CM-game to be used in the other CM-games. So if you make a scenario with an intetesting map for Final Blitzkrieg it's possible someone will convert your map so it can be opened in for example Red Thunder. And then they maybe use that map as a quick battle map or copy your AI-movements a bit to make a scenario for Red Thunder.