We need more modders and scenarios makers

Very few people (nobody?) are attempting from-scratch all-new vehicle textures. That's a degree of difficulty most people don't want to think about. It takes a certain maniacal dedication to attempt a bottom-up vehicle texture. I've been sitting on a project for (unnamed vehicle) that I can't bring myself to start because it frightens me. I'll do everything else that's asked of me but (unnamed vehicle) waits to be tackled.

I have some content but it's for my first campaign compilation, Rollbahn D.

I started building in March. It's based on KG Peiper.

The ambition is/was to produce an historical scenario for every 6 hours or so of the KG and associated units, their advance and eventual destruction, from the 16th to Xmas. 

So far in the "can" I have 

• Murky Merlscheid (Fallschirmjäger)
  • Leaving Lanzerath (Fallshirmjager)
  • Minen The Gap (Losheim/Scheid, Spitze)
  • Breakthrough (Bucholz/Honsfeld)
  • Bull-in-gen China Shop
  • Butchers Of Baugnez (thanks for the Cafe/Hotel/Signpost mods Kohlenklau!)
  • Storming Stavelot
  • Trois Is A Crowd
  • Jabos! (Cheneux)
  • Probe At Stavelot
  • Neufmoulin Rouge
  • Duel In The Mist (Stoumont)
  • Too Tight At Targnon
  • Ster Way To Heaven (Parfondry/Stavelot)

For the remaining 15x scenarios I will be using mostly maps already created... but realistically it is still going to be next autumn. 

I've made my own maps apart from Cheneux with some edits. Working on KG X and Y/Skorzeny's attack on Malmedy and the 82nd's first attempt on Cheneux (including using the captured Stummel) at the moment.

Considering releasing some or all as individual battles and maps?  Open to requests. Stick with it? Release  a map or 2? Release a battle or 2?

I've published 3x scenarios in the past with mixed reviews,  Mission to Mass V2, CMBS Korsun 2017 and Summer In The City. 

I enjoy the research/creative process, you think you know stuff, then you realise you don't quite know as much as you thought you did.

Bibliography:

The Devils Adjutant by Michael Reynolds

The Leibstandarte Map Book Part IV

The Leibstandarte IV Ralf Tiemann

Duel In The Mist Parts 1,2 and 3, Vosters, Weber, Haasler, Meyer, MacDougall

Jochen Peiper, Patrick Agte

A Time for Trumpets, Charles B MacDonald

Battle of the Bulge Then and Now, Jean Paul Pallud

Panzer Truppen 1943-45, Thomas Jentz

Tigers in the Ardennes, Walden

Ardennes the Secret War, Whiting

KG Peiper:The Race to the Meuse, Cooke, Evans

Battle of the Bulge: Thee 3rd Fallshirmjager Division in Action

The Longest Winter, Kershaw

A Tour of the Bulge Battlefields, Cavanagh

Smashing Hitlers Panzers, Zaloga

Ardennes 1944, Beevor

And last but not least Combat Mission Community Forums

17 minutes ago, theforger said:

I started building in March. It's based on KG Peiper.

The ambition is/was to produce an historical scenario for every 6 hours or so of the KG and associated units, their advance and eventual destruction, from the 16th to Xmas. 

• Bull-in-gen China Shop
  • Storming Stavelot
  • Trois Is A Crowd
  • Jabos! (Cheneux)
  • Probe At Stavelot
  • Neufmoulin Rouge
  • Too Tight At Targnon

For the remaining 15x scenarios I will be using mostly maps already created... but realistically it is still going to be next autumn. 

I've made my own maps apart from Cheneux with some edits. Working on KG X and Y/Skorzeny's attack on Malmedy and the 82nd's first attempt on Cheneux (including using the captured Stummel) at the moment.

Considering releasing some or all as individual battles and maps?  Open to requests. Stick with it? Release  a map or 2? Release a battle or 2?

I've published 3x scenarios in the past with mixed reviews,  Mission to Mass V2, CMBS Korsun 2017 and Summer In The City. 

I enjoy the research/creative process, you think you know stuff, then you realise you don't quite know as much as you thought you did.

Bibliography:

The Devils Adjutant by Michael Reynolds

The Leibstandarte Map Book Part IV

The Leibstandarte IV Ralf Tiemann

Duel In The Mist Parts 1,2 and 3, Vosters, Weber, Haasler, Meyer, MacDougall

Jochen Peiper, Patrick Agte

A Time for Trumpets, Charles B MacDonald

Battle of the Bulge Then and Now, Jean Paul Pallud

Panzer Truppen 1943-45, Thomas Jentz

Tigers in the Ardennes, Walden

Ardennes the Secret War, Whiting

KG Peiper:The Race to the Meuse, Cooke, Evans

Battle of the Bulge: Thee 3rd Fallshirmjager Division in Action

The Longest Winter, Kershaw

A Tour of the Bulge Battlefields, Cavanagh

Smashing Hitlers Panzers, Zaloga

Ardennes 1944, Beevor

And last but not least Combat Mission Community Forums

Releasing some scenarios would be great. Duel in the Mist sounds intriguing.

Find a person to play Hotseat is a problem, I found two in the area I live. To play AI is just an apprenticeship. Nothing but respect for the editors, but their efforts at best is a set piece attack or counterattack. To doctor battle plans is a thankless task. Mods look pretty I agree but for me as it comes in the game is good enough. I would even play the game if it only came with NATO symbols. 

3 hours ago, theforger said:
  • Storming Stavelot

7 Scenarios into the Rollbahn D campaign so the Germans are a little less healthy than in this standalone version but give it a run out. Only 1x AI plan at the moment in this version.

Storming Stavelot.btt 979.62 kB · 2 downloads

Did you make the map yourself? If so, well done! Looks like an interesting battle and thorough research. Briefing is short and clear, as I like them. I've changed the uniforms from Greatcoat to Winter, since I think that's more fitting for the Leibstandarte, but that's personal taste. Looking forward to playing this!

I will give it a go in the coming weeks. Certainly makes me very curious about the campaign! And more scenarios/maps would be very welcome.

Edited by Aragorn2002

10 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Find a person to play Hotseat is a problem, I found two in the area I live. To play AI is just an apprenticeship. Nothing but respect for the editors, but their efforts at best is a set piece attack or counterattack. To doctor battle plans is a thankless task. Mods look pretty I agree but for me as it comes in the game is good enough. I would even play the game if it only came with NATO symbols. 

Than Command Ops 2 is the game for you. Try it, it's a remarkable good game.The ideal companion to CM.

Edited by Aragorn2002

11 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Are you specifically wanting to play Hotseat, or is a non-AI opponent your goal. If you want a real life opponent, it is pretty easy to find someone to play PBEM and there are 2? apps that help automate the process. Granted it's a much slower pace, but you can find opponents on this forum or "The Few Good Men" or "The Blitz" web sites.

Apologies if you already know all this and just want a Hotseat match 🙂

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Did you make the map yourself? If so, well done! Looks like an interesting battle and thorough research. Briefing is short and clear, as I like them. I've changed the uniforms from Greatcoat to Winter, since I think that's more fitting for the Leibstandarte, but that's personal taste. Looking forward to playing this!

I will give it a go in the coming weeks. Certainly makes me very curious about the campaign! And more scenarios/maps would be very welcome.

The maps my own. It features 4 times in the campaign so it takes on progressively more damage and contains more wrecks. Used a lot of pre war postcards to try and get the look of the buildings as close as possible.

http://www.oldhickory30th.com

was a good resource too.

I'll take a look at the uniforms not really considered that.

15 minutes ago, theforger said:

The maps my own. It features 4 times in the campaign so it takes on progressively more damage and contains more wrecks. Used a lot of pre war postcards to try and get the look of the buildings as close as possible.

http://www.oldhickory30th.com

was a good resource too.

I'll take a look at the uniforms not really considered that.

My compliments. Great looking map, must have been a lot of work, but it's a beauty.

1 hour ago, theforger said:

That is indeed a magnificent map!  B)

Is there any chance I could grab a blank version please (one with no flavour objects would be ideal)?

It would be for distinctly 'alternative' use (with a little help from my friends, I hope).  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Thanks for me Hotseat is the ultimate, I don't have a clue about PBEM On Iron against the AI I rarely have a total victory so a long way to go yet. Had a tactical defeat yesterday with 'Edge of Darkness'. Funny enough thoroughly enjoyed that game. 

Ah. PBEM is easy once you get into it. Mac and PC compatible too. Basically you give your orders for a turn, so does your opponent, exchange files. You receive the file, run the minute, give orders, send file, continue until done. No way to cheat the way it's set up.  If you want to try one, ask for an opponent who would be good with playing a total newbie at PBEM. You'll find helpful people. 

If you want I'll start you off, as long as it's BN/CW/MG  or  FB.  PM me if you are interested. If not, that's fine. I may be a bit slow on the playing, because I'm busy beta testing Fire and Rubble too.

Dave

22 hours ago, theforger said:

• Bull-in-gen China Shop
  • Storming Stavelot
  • Trois Is A Crowd
  • Jabos! (Cheneux)
  • Probe At Stavelot
  • Neufmoulin Rouge
  • Too Tight At Targnon

For the remaining 15x scenarios I will be using mostly maps already created

That's a huge campaign. You mention 14 scenarios (battles) and then mention that there will be 15 more to add.

Those who wait for added content, like a dlc, for Final Blitz won't feel like there's nothing to do in this game while they're waiting.

7 hours ago, theforger said:

The master version extends 2kms (3.7 kms total) further west. Would you prefer that one?

Yes please.....That would be perfect (I didn't want to mess with your scenario map, as I intend to play the battle).  B)

7 hours ago, theforger said:

To be clear no forces, objects, briefing info, objectives, setup zones?

That would be ideal.....My intent is to convert it to CM:BS, for my 'Fragmentistan' concept.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 12/11/2020 at 11:45 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I did two scenarios, and then I stopped. My personal experience was that while scenario making can be fun, it's also a ton of work. And while some of that work comes from testing and balancing, a lot of the workload is also due the editor not being very user-friendly. If BFC wants more people to do scenarios, making the editor easier to use would help.

For example, adding basic functionality like an undo function would help lots. Or an ability to rename AI groups so you don't have to remember that group #3 are 1st platoon HQ, # 7 is AT guns, etc. And maybe change the system for selecting configurations of doors/windows/damage/textures for building walls.

But I'm not thinking they will invest in changing the editor this late in the game's lifecycle.

i second that, i try but lack the patience i guess in learning how to do the briefings properly...the maps and mission designs i could do, just the briefings etc.. 

21 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

how to do the briefings properly...the maps and mission designs i could do, just the briefings

You don't need to do the briefings like they're done in scenarios you get with the game. Use your fantasy a bit and make a briefing the way you'd like it to be done.

As long as the player understands what you want him to know about the scenario and mission of the troops involved that is good enough and you can add pictures which help the player to get the purpose of the battle.

Edited by BornGinger

17 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

i second that, i try but lack the patience i guess in learning how to do the briefings properly...the maps and mission designs i could do, just the briefings etc.. 

My reply is along the lines of @BornGinger's - so long as the player has the information they need, you don't need to stress too much about the briefing.  The mechanics are a doddle as well.

I have come back to the Combat Mission series after a 'really' long break but don't have either Final Blitzkrieg or Red Thunder yet (honestly I tend to prefer early war stuff). In previous attempts to design stuff for Battle for Normandy I always ended up feeling overwhelmed and dropping those projects. I have several ideas and would really like to pick up the design torch again and try to carry at least one scenario/mini campaign through to the end. I would like them to be well produced, have a high quality feel and immersive (probably my OCD). Where is the best place to start for learning design tips and such (hopefully with pictures cause that's how I learn best)???

12 minutes ago, Double Deuce said:

I have come back to the Combat Mission series after a 'really' long break but don't have either Final Blitzkrieg or Red Thunder yet (honestly I tend to prefer early war stuff). In previous attempts to design stuff for Battle for Normandy I always ended up feeling overwhelmed and dropping those projects. I have several ideas and would really like to pick up the design torch again and try to carry at least one scenario/mini campaign through to the end. I would like them to be well produced, have a high quality feel and immersive (probably my OCD). Where is the best place to start for learning design tips and such (hopefully with pictures cause that's how I learn best)???

For CMSF-1 but the principles hold true ...

MAKING OP NEPTUNE SPEAR – A SCENARIO DESIGN TUTORIAL (CONTAINS SPOILERS) - CMSF Scenario and Mod Design Forum - Battlefront.com Community

Knock yourself out mate - heaps of pictures ...