If CM had a First Person mode ...

Combat Mission stimulates teamwork, FPS as a rule the hero takes all. I like camera 5-9 as maps and in modern warfare digital display. Camera position 1 like an FPS inside a vehicle or looking through the gunsight. Camera 2 third person shooter. More standing patrols prior the start of a game. In a Campaign establish a patrol program. Standing, raids ambushes, recon etc. 

Edited by chuckdyke

I think there are some ideas there that CM could use. Brass Brigade (like all first person war shooters I've seen) lacks the essential element of teamwork, and soldiers and vehicles behaving even remotely realistically, which makes the whole thing into a silly arcade game. But imagine conducting a CM game and then being able to replay turns and go down to that level of detail, and have vehicles explode into pieces, and soldiers react appropriately when hit by various weapons, such as HE shells, sniper's rifles, or HMGs. No need for cartoonish buckets of blood, or the GI in the Normandy game shooting 20 feet into the air when a German grenade explodes under him (which was fun, I must admit). But better animations at ground level (and even the ability to replay a whole game and follow one soldier or unit all the way through) would, IMHO, be a great addition to the next generation of CM.

On 12/7/2020 at 12:39 PM, Thomm said:

Just heard of a little game called 'Brass Brigade' for the first time (at the Grogheads forum). ...

I think it looks fun :) I actually like the chunky cartoonish graphics.

I reckon I'd get bored with it pretty quickly though. I played FPS for enough decades already.

7 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

I think there are some ideas there that CM could use. Brass Brigade (like all first person war shooters I've seen) lacks the essential element of teamwork, and soldiers and vehicles behaving even remotely realistically, 

Have you tried this good old game...?

Some teamplay to be found here with you as a squadleader. It's quite old but I really enjoyd it back in the days 😁

https://youtu.be/Xdp4ZnIr7JA

For bits of FPS fun I purchased ARMA 3 just half a year ago, mainly due to the WW2 mods. IFA3, Faces of War and Forgotten Fronts are worth mentioning. At least gives a taste of early war battles, like France 40 or Russia 41 when mixing or using mods in conjunction.

Edited by RockinHarry

So I went ahead and bought the game (for 8 Euros).

And it is a lot of fun!!!

I was wrong, though, with my initial comparison to Combat Mission.

The perfect description would be 'a FPS mode for Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far'.

At least as far as the 'Arnhem' map is concerned. Lots of nail-biting action to be found there!

Best regards,
Thomm

I would like to note Elvis kindly moved the real general forum closer to the top, as this is the CM general forum. 

However, I'm pretty sure this is a grandfathered in thread so I'll gladly contribute. :D

Red Orchestra was the BEST FPS for years. You were able to move your head, take damage more realistically than any game I have ever seen (Even today), it had stamina, and even vehicles. Then Darkest Hour came out. Ppl made units left and right. Migrated to arma 2 when their modding community got bigger. Sadly DH has been dead for a long time despite active developer support. It's a great game to this day

On 12/9/2020 at 4:51 PM, RockinHarry said:

For bits of FPS fun I purchased ARMA 3 just half a year ago, mainly due to the WW2 mods. IFA3, Faces of War and Forgotten Fronts are worth mentioning. At least gives a taste of early war battles, like France 40 or Russia 41 when mixing or using mods in conjunction.

Arma 2 had a mod Normandy 44 that had a map that mustbe been 200x200km centered around normandy. You were able to fly to britain. Cities had buildings but it was pretty obvious thingz were under construction still

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There were a few populated servers last time I checked.....That wasn't all that long ago, but it was before I got this PC.

I guess I havent checked lately myself. I know theyve updated it. Maybe that kicked things up. Project Reality had a similar situation... 

If you dont know what PR is - They convinced EA games to give them access to Battlefield 2s files I am p sure. They won Moddb mod of the year. Enough said.. they are legit. PR is the best team based shooter in town. 

Edited by Artkin

BTW, has anyone else looked at this (Talvisota):

ss_dca857d9a0d1f7062e77a6765b3ff795cb7b1

ss_e264fb5255a392ebee962d7f042387681e45f

ss_778736281c0f4ff8320dd12466fc9618add56

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1206240/Talvisota__Winter_War/

It's a mod for Rising Storm 2: Vietnam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/418460/Rising_Storm_2_Vietnam/

I've played the mod a couple of times and found it much more enjoyable than the game it was based on.  B)