Empires / FOG2 & Games set in the Ancient World

markshot

Thank you markshot.  Those are actual in-game screenshots?  Very impressive.  I loved RTW1 (+EB) and read many reviews that claimed it was still better than RTW2.  But, RTW1 is dated now and I don't find it so much fun anymore (after playing it for a decade+). 

So, is it the consensus that the SOW games are the best successor to RTW1?

(Am always looking for other games to play when the regular CM burnout strikes.  Right now am struggling through 1943 in Grigsby's truly amazing WITP AE.)

Edited by Erwin

I played lots of RTW1/RS3.  I think RTW2/DEI is far better.

Yes, the 2013 released of RTW2 was a disaster and the worst launch CA ever had.  But by 2017, RTW2 was a decent game out of the box with compilation of patches as the Emperor Edition.  DEI gives you much more than vanilla.  Better combat with about 6 sub mods to tune it the way you like.  DEI has fixes for some combat bugs like phalanxes that can pass through one another.  And naval combat where you can ram, but ships never back up to ram again.  You get AOR recruiting with special provincial units.  DEI also puts caps on how many of some special units you can have. 

For the campaign, you get a sophisticated system of supply.  You get recruiting based on class; not just manpower.  So, if you want cavalry, then you need people in the upper classes.  If you want peltasts (slingers), then you want peasants.  There are also choices to make in terms of empire like:  will I romanize, ally, or occupy.  And will I militarize/fortify or chose trading.  These affect income, recruitment, and happiness.  To romanize is the slowest process.  If you ally, you are going to recruit the local units of the region.

The underlying Rome is a better game and the DEI mod has 5 years of awards and it actively being developed.  RTW1/MTW2 and mods are pretty stagnant.  Most people didn't wait 4 years for a better Rome 2, they just went on to Attila.  (Steam's workshop makes modding something that the computer illiterate can do.)

In my opinion, the best TW title out of the box is Shogun 2.  It is a piece of art.  But the problem is all the Japanese clans really are fielding the same units.  The map of Japan only offers limited possibilities ... it would be like Rome only being Italy.

So, if you want Rome TW go with RTW2/DEI.

If you want your Rome combat up to CM standards go with FOG2.

If you want Rome grand strategy without fighting out the battles go with Empires.

---

SOW is 2,000 years later and black power ACW and Napoleonics.  SOW-WL being the later title is more sophisticated, but SOW-GB is a lot of fun.  Besides realtime, the unique thing about SOW is that you play within the frame work of the AI.  You often are just a gear yourself.

You should know the scenarios are very well scripted.  But there is a sandbox mode which is purely AI.  From corps to brigade.

I play 1 brigade of 5 regiments in Pickett's charge to day.  Next post with be be screens.  (no touch up, but I circled one objective in the distance.)

---

Finally, you should consider Universal General Civil War with the Rebalance Mod.  A great game with battles and full campaign.  "Darth"; realname Nick Thados was a famous TW modder.  He got pissed with CA's attitude to him around Rome 2.  He decided to found his own game shop and produced a master piece.

https://www.ultimategeneral.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/Ultimate_General_Civil_War/