Around the world and back - CMBS?

Greeting folks!

You ever get side tracked.  I mean like take the off ramp, and there is no over/under pass simply to get back on.

Well, I have been to Rome and got the Punic wars done in 2, hustled some 9-Ball, been 200M down trying to evade DDs, nuke subs looking for that 50Hz harmonic at 40nmi, laid some rails, and currently in 1861 fighting the opening battles of the ACW ...

But it is almost Christmas, and I was thinking to add to my collection.  Some people believe it is exercise and eating a healthy diet.  But the secret to a long life is having more titles in your collection than you can get to.  You won't die before you played them all.  This is why it is especially important to have games with random campaigns and scenario generators.

Well, I have all the CMx2 titles, but CMBS?

For you guys who know every WWII weapon from single shot crafted rifles to rapidly produced stamped steel MPs, what do you think of CMBS?  Is it a big learning curve?  Is the fun factor there?

It looks like CMBN is the most loved title and CMBS is not so active.  (from the Scenario Depot)

Is CMBS patched up to the 4.02 engine as the other games except for CMRT (I think waiting for Rubble)?

Does Battlefront do Christmas sales?

Would this make a good self gift and hold off dementia for another 5 years?

God bless and may you all be safe wherever that is.

Thank you!

It's patched up. And, imo, it's very fun.

There is probably a learning curve, as I had one coming from modern (CMSF) to WW2 (CMBN), I guess around 2012 or so.

Modern is much more lethal. Better optics, shorter call in times, more accurate weapons with more penetration and bigger booms. I guess if you manage to do the learning curve of CMBS, dementia will be fought of for another 10 years. 😉

CM:BS is scary deadly compared to the other titles (get spotted, expect artillery, soon).....On the bright side, once you've learned to survive CM:BS you will discover you've become a much better Blue commander in CM:SF2 (I had my first zero casualties CM:SF2 battle after an extended session of CM:BS, the Syrians just seemed so pathetically puny!).  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I play all titles, but CMBS is my favorite and the one I play most often in my spare time.

of course, modern is not everyone's cup of tea, but yes, there is a terror and fun factor in modern not present in WW2 titles.

The big reason I enjoy it though is because it seems the title most well suited to MP play. Russian and Ukrainian forces are similar in terms of organization, equipment and capabilities and make excellent opponents in PBEM matches.

Edited by Sgt Joch

BS is the best of the series. It's the most competitive CM. The Harshest. This game should be the only one you practice. 100% worth the money. 300-500% worth after you convert the maps from the other titles over (Super simple, takes no time at all. Every title except CMSF and CM:A work.).... 

By far the best CM and I own everything. 

My one gripe is the lack of vehicles and equipment. Although I believe this is the most neglected CM (Maps, scenarios, equipment). So I wouldnt be worried. More will come eventually.

Playing as Russians and Ukrainians is the best and will hone your skill

Edited by Artkin

You can just bring the maps over use them for QBs?

I have the full CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB, and CMSF already.

A few months ago I came out of the Roman empire.  I got tired of all the melee, I wanted to kill without having blood all over me.  Now, I am in my ACW period, but I am choking on the acrid smoke of black powder.

I think I will be ready to come back after the holidays.

55 minutes ago, markshot said:

A few months ago I came out of the Roman empire.  I got tired of all the melee, I wanted to kill without having blood all over me.  Now, I am in my ACW period, but I am choking on the acrid smoke of black powder.

Yes, most maps can be converted with the keeping of the AI plans. There is a downloadable QB map pack from CMRT.

4 hours ago, markshot said:

Well as you're coming out of the Roman Empire, I am going into it. :D I got Field of Glory Empires on sale a little while ago. It seems interesting, and it's cool that it integrates with FoG2.

About CMBS though, yes it is good and you should get it. It's very challenging and plays a lot differently than the other ones. I haven't played all the campaigns yet but the Russian campaign was a lot of fun. As others have said, the fighting can be very fast and deadly and you usually have to be much more stealthy and careful than in the other games, to avoid getting instakilled in one shot from 2000 meters away or something. 

At the same time though, it can be strangely not deadly when you have stuff like the vehicles with active protection systems. Usually it's suicide to lead an attack with vehicles in CM. Usually you need an infantry screen out front in order to scout for and protect the tanks. In CMBS though, I was able to brazenly charge forward with my APS vehicles, with my infantry jogging along behind. Then I would laugh as enemy missiles and RPGs would harmlessly explode in front of the vehicle. And then the enemy would get blown up real good. The modern warfare toys can be pretty fun.

FOG Empires is really fun.  Just have to get used to the 'decadance' concept.  Invest in culture.  I thought I was doing great then suddenly I've uprisings and civil war -- disasterous empire splitting unrecoverable civil war.  Most games like this are just resource grabs, but this is more subtle.  I picked up the Persian empire version also, but all my limited gaming time has been spent on CM for many months so haven't played it yet.  Have fun!

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I wouldn't agree it's the best of the games, mostly because of the lack of Factions/Vehicles etc.

Yeah I agree and disagree with you're saying. Lmao.

CMBN would be the best in that regard, that game is stuffed full of love. It runs worse than CMBS and CMFB for me, which sucks because it can't really handle some scenarios in real time (Operation Linnett.) :(

15 hours ago, Bozowans said:

At the same time though, it can be strangely not deadly when you have stuff like the vehicles with active protection systems. Usually it's suicide to lead an attack with vehicles in CM. Usually you need an infantry screen out front in order to scout for and protect the tanks. In CMBS though, I was able to brazenly charge forward with my APS vehicles, with my infantry jogging along behind. Then I would laugh as enemy missiles and RPGs would harmlessly explode in front of the vehicle. And then the enemy would get blown up real good. The modern warfare toys can be pretty fun.

As much CMBS as I've played I've definitely used the APS the absolute least. I guess it'll be cool when we start seeing it in action IRL. It's still cool as flip to have though

On 12/4/2020 at 5:01 PM, Artkin said:

BS is the best of the series. It's the most competitive CM. The Harshest. This game should be the only one you practice. 100% worth the money. 300-500% worth after you convert the maps from the other titles over (Super simple, takes no time at all. Every title except CMSF and CM:A work.).... 

By far the best CM and I own everything. 

My one gripe is the lack of vehicles and equipment. Although I believe this is the most neglected CM (Maps, scenarios, equipment). So I wouldnt be worried. More will come eventually.

Playing as Russians and Ukrainians is the best and will hone your skill

Would it be possible to post your converted maps into a map pack over at the CMMODS III ? Or is there another way to get these usful gems? (I'm running a CMBS campaign and can use all the maps I can get my hands on).

Edited by nathangun

1 hour ago, nathangun said:

Would it be possible to post your converted maps into a map pack over at the CMMODS III ? Or is there another way to get these usful gems? (I'm running a CMBS campaign and can use all the maps I can get my hands on).

I am able to, however it isnt OK for me to be distributing these. Some belong to diff titles. Pm me with a screenshot of proof that you own the series and then I'll zip up my files when I get home later. 

I used to hand these out, but its not right imo. Unless I get permission I will refrain from pushing their buttons. Hope you understand. 

I will send maps for the titles you own. 

Also, I have a thread in Combat Mission General Discussion titled "The official map conversion thread" or whatever. It has all the instructions in there to do it yourself in the meantime

1 minute ago, Artkin said:

I am able to, however it isnt OK for me to be distributing these. Some belong to diff titles. Pm me with a screenshot of proof that you own the series and then I'll zip up my files when I get home later. 

I used to hand these out, but its not right imo. Unless I get permission I will refrain from pushing their buttons. Hope you understand. 

Also, I have a thread in Combat Mission General Discussion titled "The official map conversion thread" or whatever. It has all the instructions in there to do it yourself in the meantime

it is a LOT of maps. I converted every single map over 2x2km from every single title and module. Adequate proof of purchase would be orders page on battlefront.com. Kindly censor any personal information, order numbers whatever if you want.

I just wish to be fair 

3 hours ago, Artkin said:

PM sent.