The Curse of the the KIA Arty Spotter

More often than I care to admit, one of my spotters dies in the middle of calling in an artillery strike.  Is there any way to get back control of the arty using a different spotter or does the strike just have to run its course without a pair of eyes on the target?

I seem to recall that you can sometimes click on another spotter, select the firing unit from their artillery tab, then click the 'go to spotting unit' tab and find that the 'ceasefire' option is still there (Even though the unit itself isn't!  :o).....I'll try to get screenies/save if the opportunity arises.

31 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I seem to recall that you can sometimes click on another spotter, select the firing unit from their artillery tab, then click the 'go to spotting unit' tab and find that the 'ceasefire' option is still there (Even though the unit itself isn't!  :o).....I'll try to get screenies/save if the opportunity arises.

That would be nice

On 11/25/2020 at 2:34 AM, Probus said:

...does the strike just have to run its course without a pair of eyes on the target?

I've generally found - until the mission begins - that the battery is released within a few minutes.

That's how it works for WW2 Commonwealth. Mind you, I'm assuming the radio operator tells the battery commander that the forward observer is a casualty - I don't recall what happened the last time I lost the entire team, because it was a while ago.