Updating CMFI (and other titles)

Erwin

Noticed that my CMFI is only v1.2.

Am confused as to the order of installing updates since there are at least two updates available.  I also have R2V but I don't think I ever got around to installing it.

Should I simply d/l and reinstall the full game?  Does that include R2V or will I have to install that separately?  Do I have to install the latest game engine as well separately?

Which is the full install version?

Edited by Erwin

Downloading and installing the full game would probably be the easiest solution. It should be fully patched and will have all of the modules. You'll just need to activate anything you haven't previously activated on that computer in order to access it. You may want to back up any saved games, downloaded scenarios/campaigns and any mods.

Have done this so rarely have forgotten where to find the full installer.  The ones under "Patches" are only patches + updates, yes?

So... do I go to MY ORDERS and find the original purchase and d/l that even tho' it says "Engine 2"? 

R2V is included in the full installer, but Is Engine 4.x also in the full installer or do I have d/l that separately?

Thanks...

The original purchase (near the time of release for CMFI) would ONLY be version 2.x of the engine. I'm certain that the download link associated with a 'CMFI Upgrade 4.0' purchase would be the 'full installer' that would include R2V and the latest patches. For customers who purchased CMFI recently, their download links would be the full installer that would have the latest engine and modules.

I'm not certain, but there may be a 'full installer' associated with the 'CMFI 3.0 Upgrade' purchases, but that may NOT include anything like the 4.0 Upgrade and R2V. It would only be the base game, Engine 3.0 Upgrade and possibly the Gustav Line module.

Ok, so which file/folder should I d/l to get the latest version of CMFI with all modules?   Or do I have to d/l several?  In which case which ones should I d/l and install in what order?

(I guess am going to be asking the same question for the other titles.  I was hoping that CM2 has been out long enuff that there would be a SOP for installations that one can print out and follow.)

Assuming you have purchased the 'CMFI 4.0 Upgrade', go to that purchase (which could be a 'bundle' purchase of several 4.0 Upgrades) for the download. If you purchased a 'bundle', then open up the 'CM Fortress Italy 4 Installers' folder by clicking on it (NOT the checkmark, but on the folder to open it up). In here click on the 'Windows FULL CM Fortress Italy' folder and this will take you to the download link itself where you click the blue 'Download' button. This is a 6GB .rar compressed file that will need a program like 7Zip or WinRAR to open up and then run the installer.

Yes, if you have purchased the 4.0 Upgrade, you will want the 'FULL' installer for each title. Though I believe they are not all .rar compressed files. Occasionally some people have had problems extracting the files, so you will most likely want a program to do the decompression/extraction rather than the built-in capability of Windows (for .zip files).

Looked thru all my 21 orders I made over the past 13 years.  It's not exactly easy or intuitive to figure out which is the purchase link to use to get all the latest versions of the games.

If anyone else is wondering the same, this seems to be the purchase order link one needs to use to do installs for the latest versions of all titles (except of course for CMSF and CMA which require a whole other set of requirements natch).

Upgrade 4 lBig Bundle
CMAF-UPV4

Also, there are no helpful instructions.  So, one has to remember to NOT click on the "tick box", but on the folder icon itself which takes one to a game title subfolder.  Only then one should select the specific downloads on requires.  Otherwise one downloads a whole bunch of stuff one doesn't want or need.

When I was working with the military I used to visit many bases.  It was interesting that all road signs and directions were removed - presumably to confuse would-be terrorists etc. and make it difficult for unwelcome intruders to find anything.  Clearly the BF orders and download system was designed with similar intent.  <_<

In addition, while I have pretty fast broadband, it seems that two downloads at the same time seem to be a limit as when I tried a third at the same time, it stays in the "Preparing Download" mode until one of the other downloads is completed.

Edited by Erwin

I'm sure I'm not only one to do this but I copy the S/N to a text file along with a short description. It not only serves as backup but also as a means to better describe the purchase (not using BFC product speak).

Fortunately, and assuming all continues to go well - the future seems to be Steam which should gradually improve things over time as some of us convert over to it.

While I don't see Steam as offering anything over the current process, most value the potential ease of use.