Requesting small changes in the AI interface

@BFCElvis

I am playing around AI since a lot of time now and I would like to design something cool in terms of AI responsiveness. I think few changes in the AI interface may change and ease a lot AI design and level up the AI of my scenario. So, here are few requests for you to implement. Few of them are not new.

First one: Increase the number of AI groups

Dividing units into small AI groups is the key to make good AI behavior. So I am requesting to pass the maximum number of AI groups from 16 to 32.

3r1Rq.jpg

Second one: Revamp the Terrain Objectives interface

I am requesting to pass the maximum number of Terrain objectives from 15 to 32.

ngn0m.jpg

The first button is indeed combining two functions (one for usual objective, one for trigger).

9rV8V.jpg

Thus you have to use two triggers if, for example, the occupation of one terrain objective is also a trigger to go to another objective.

I would request to change the interface as follow (see carefully the following screenshot) :
1. I am splitting the first button in two. First button still serves to say Occupy, Preserve, Destroy, Touch, Exit
3. A new button, the third one, is a choice between A.I. Trigger (friendly), A.I. Trigger (friendly armor), A.I. Trigger (enemy), A.I. Trigger (enemy armor)

Grm3n.jpg

This allows much more flexibility and avoids to use two objectives for the same above example.

Third one: Enhance the Unit Objectives interface

I am requesting to pass the maximum number of Unit objectives from 7 to 16.

eWq3j.jpg

And same than for the Terrain Objectives interface (see carefully the following screenshot), I am adding a third button that is a trigger possibility on an Unit objective.

XWP1g.jpg

This third button contains the same choice between A.I. Trigger (friendly), A.I. Trigger (friendly armor), A.I. Trigger (enemy), A.I. Trigger (enemy armor)

NWXQZ.jpg

With the first button untouched, I can design that if an enemy unit is spotted, I can trigger something else. An air attack for example... see next post.

dW8aa.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

Fourth one: Revamp the Support Targets interface

Today the Support Targets interface are pretty useless since it can only act at the beginning of a scenario for indirect fires. It contains only two button:
1. The target to hit
2. The type of mission (Destroy, Damage, Suppress, Smoke)

kaVwo.jpg

I am requesting to add few additional buttons in the interface (see carefully the following screenshot😞
1. The AI group that will perform the attack. We can then select off map artillery units and/or air units to perform a dedicated mission (if they are in the AI group of course)
2. The possibility to delay an attack by Exit between ...and OR better to select a trigger to wait for before calling the attack

VWmbv.jpg

And, a small note, if in the same AI group, I am selecting a FO team plus some off map units (artillery or air units), I am expecting the AI to move the FO team in a good spotting position.

Here it is for my list, I do not think I am asking for the moon in term of changes in the interface. And, I really think these small changes can really beef up the AI of my scenario but not only. Thanks @BFCElvis for your consideration.

These are all interesting changes. Some of the scenario makers in the crowd might want to chime in about it.

That said, it very unlikely that any kind of changes that you are suggesting will make it into the game anytime soon (even if HQ thinks they are worth adding). They are the kind of thing that would be in an engine Upgrade, not in a patch. A 5.0 Upgrade is not even in the works yet.....For that matter, if there is ever going to be a 5.0 Upgrade has not been decided yet. I know it's not what you want to hear. And it doesn't mean that these ideas don't make it into the next incarnation of Combat Mission.

(P.S. Did I ever tell you that I love your user name? I've been thinking about getting a vanity license plate for my car with some variation of it)

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

For that matter, if there is ever going to be a 5.0 Upgrade has not been decided yet. I know it's not what you want to hear. And it doesn't mean that these ideas don't make it into the next incarnation of Combat Mission.

Does the fact that maybe there will not be an 5.0 upgrade mean that the next incarnation of CM (CMx3) is being worked on?

Edited by BarendJanNL
English language

3 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

Does the fact that maybe there will not be an 5.0 upgrade mean that the next incarnation of CM (CMx3) is being worked on?

The Eagles are in 1st place still! I'm hoping they win the division with a 5-11-1 record. Go Birds! 🙂 

Could there be a 5.0 Upgrade? I don't have an official answer than there is not one currently being developed....but no one has ever told me that there never will be one. Unofficially, if I were a betting man (which I am), I would bet that there won't be one. But that is complete speculation on my part. There are enough balls in the air right now without adding that one.

16 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

For that matter, if there is ever going to be a 5.0 Upgrade has not been decided yet. I know it's not what you want to hear. And it doesn't mean that these ideas don't make it into the next incarnation of Combat Mission.

Hmm, interesting to read that "has not been decided yet". Limiting work on CMx2 to bug fixing and releasing modules would make sense, nearly 10 years after Battle for Normandy being released.

14 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Maybe. And I probably just spoke out of school. 🙂 Although I seem to remember Steve mentioning it as some point. 

Although I only read censored version, I think that Steve did hint at that the 'Eagle' will land at one point in the future. Didn't know it was already spreading its wings, but have distilled this somewhat speculative conclusion from the censored info.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2020 at 7:03 PM, BFCElvis said:

These are all interesting changes. Some of the scenario makers in the crowd might want to chime in about it.

That said, it very unlikely that any kind of changes that you are suggesting will make it into the game anytime soon (even if HQ thinks they are worth adding). They are the kind of thing that would be in an engine Upgrade, not in a patch. A 5.0 Upgrade is not even in the works yet.....For that matter, if there is ever going to be a 5.0 Upgrade has not been decided yet. I know it's not what you want to hear. And it doesn't mean that these ideas don't make it into the next incarnation of Combat Mission.

(P.S. Did I ever tell you that I love your user name? I've been thinking about getting a vanity license plate for my car with some variation of it)

Happy New Year 2021 to the Battlefront team and to you @BFCElvis!

With the recent announcement of the 5.0 Engine Upgrade, I really hope all of the above requests could be added to your wishlist for the next engine.

Thanks a lot

P.S: Is your car the right size for a license plate like this? 🤣

9 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Happy New Year 2021 to the Battlefront team and to you @BFCElvis!

With the recent announcement of the 5.0 Engine Upgrade, I really hope all of the above requests could be added to your wishlist for the next engine.

Thanks a lot

P.S: Is your car the right size for a license plate like this? 🤣

Since NCC1701 and NC1701D are long gone I am considering things like NCC I7OI or some kind of variation of that. Or NCC 1031 🙂 

7 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

I really hope all of the above requests could be added to your wishlist for the next engine.

Good thinking. Many of these are already suggestions that are previously logged as things that would be helpful, and make the single-player experience as "human" as possible- I'll add anything we may have missed to the list, as AI stuff is very (very) high on my own hopes for adds.