Mosul on Netflix

mjkerner

Just watched for the third time in 4 days. It just out did my previous record of watching Saving Private Ryan, Last of the Mohicans, Black Hawk Down, and Revenant 3 times in the first 5 or 6 days of release; but all those were in movie theaters. Anyway, can’t say enough good things about Mosul. (For the record, I have many, many quibbles with those other four.)

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Dude.....It was you that originally asked for it!  Seriously!  @Combatintman please back me up here!  :D

8 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I can't remember where the details of where the Mosul thing started - it was a conversation we had in 2016 or early 2017.

2017:

On 1/14/2017 at 12:50 PM, Erwin said:

I am amazed that no one has attempted a Mosul mission with Iraq Army vs Uncons (esp using your xnt Ramadi map).  Actually, any mission on your map would be great as it is one of the finest, maybe the finest CMSF map.

So that's what I did.  ;)

I watched the first episode of Fauda and have to admit that I have mixed feelings about this.

It is interesting to see how this israeli special unit works. Killing arabs without visible legal basis and often it is questionable if these are terrorists or not.
No wonder when the arabs are hating this behavior (if this reflects reality), respectively these people.
I only wonder if this serie critics this israeli behavior or trying to leitimate it?

13 hours ago, Erwin said:

...You did pay me well for that endorsement...   :P

You were actually endorsing the mighty @LongLeftFlank (PBOH).....Ramadi is his creation, not mine.  B)

But I discovered that the section just east of the eastern cemetery bore a very close resemblance to the Hayy el Karamah district in East Mosul.....So I made a few changes, added the known features based on Google maps (in 2017) and created the two Mosul Mini-Maps that you can find in my thread.  As it turns out this was a fortuitous coincidence as Hayy el Karamay was on the main axis of advance and the area was fought over repeatedly in 2016.  I essentially compressed a million little skirmishes into one raging fire-fight.

FWIW the maps/scenarios represent this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al+Karamah,+Mosul,+Iraq/@36.3433418,43.2179888,928m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x400796779662a445:0xaafe1e66814fd862!8m2!3d36.344537!4d43.2140664?hl=en-US

Hornets' Nest:

z8RrZRE.jpg

3xaWZf4.jpg

The Crusher:

6yp7b49.jpg

Zh089kx.jpg

Not quite right, but pretty close IMHO. 

PS - The sattelite imagery (and also Google's labelling) has improved significantly in the three years sice I made this.....I now know of the Shaimaa School which I had previously hypothesised was a TV station (apparently there's one in there somewhere, CTS had to clear it, as usual).  ;)

PPS - There's still something iffy about the imagery around the Ansar Mosque, that diagonal feature running from lower centre to right centre seems like an imagery artefact of some kind to me.

PPPS - As I've said elsewhere, were I doing a full CM:SF2 remake I would do things somewhat differently, TBH I probably will at some point.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You were actually endorsing the mighty @LongLeftFlank (PBOH).....Ramadi is his creation, not mine.  B)

But I discovered that the section just east of the eastern cemetery bore a very close resemblance to the Hayy el Karamah district in East Mosul.....So I made a few changes, added the known features based on Google maps (in 2017) and created the two Mosul Mini-Maps that you can find in my thread.  As it turns out this was a fortuitous coincidence as Hayy el Karamay was on the main axis of advance and the area was fought over repeatedly in 2016.  I essentially compressed a million little skirmishes into one raging fire-fight.

FWIW the maps/scenarios represent this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al+Karamah,+Mosul,+Iraq/@36.3433418,43.2179888,928m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x400796779662a445:0xaafe1e66814fd862!8m2!3d36.344537!4d43.2140664?hl=en-US

Hornets' Nest:

z8RrZRE.jpg

3xaWZf4.jpg

The Crusher:

6yp7b49.jpg

Zh089kx.jpg

Not quite right, but pretty close IMHO. 

PS - The sattelite imagery (and also Google's labelling) has improved significantly in the three years sice I made this.....I now know of the Shaimaa School which I had previously hypothesised was a TV station (apparently there's one in there somewhere, CTS had to clear it, as usual).  ;)

PPS - There's still something iffy about the imagery around the Ansar Mosque, that diagonal feature running from lower centre to right centre seems like an imagery artefact of some kind to me.

PPPS - As I've said elsewhere, were I doing a full CM:SF2 remake I would do things somewhat differently, TBH I probably will at some point.

Might be worth explaining some of the bits and pieces above ....

TV station could be this sucker ...

103365041_TVStation.jpg.42058b0e51f3ce8b1706164260177106.jpg

The piece about the lower centre to mid-centre around the Ansar Mosque - throw me a bone but the image below might cover some of it off:

1056504788_AnsarMosqueandTVStation.jpg.653a6392c61a1e1383f798e74e401a40.jpg

Can't say for sure which of the places highlighted with an antenna is the TV station but both are possibilities ... if only you knew someone who is an imagery analyst eh? 😉

19 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Might be worth explaining some of the bits and pieces above ....

TV station could be this sucker ...

103365041_TVStation.jpg.42058b0e51f3ce8b1706164260177106.jpg

The piece about the lower centre to mid-centre around the Ansar Mosque - throw me a bone but the image below might cover some of it off:

1056504788_AnsarMosqueandTVStation.jpg.653a6392c61a1e1383f798e74e401a40.jpg

Can't say for sure which of the places highlighted with an antenna is the TV station but both are possibilities ... if only you knew someone who is an imagery analyst eh? 😉

+1.  NICE!!  :)

Good eyes dude.  B)

The diagonal feature I was describing is fully shown in your second Image.....It looks like some of the compounds are sliced off, or as if two images have been composited incorectly.....However some of the features do seem to have shadows.  :unsure:

PS - In your second image a whole compound (hospital?) has completely vanished.....It should be to the east of the three small structures east of the putative TV station and immediately north west of the Ansar Mosque!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Good eyes dude.  B)

The diagonal feature I was describing is fully shown in your second Image.....It looks like some of the compounds are sliced off, or as if two images have been composited incorectly.....However some of the features do seem to have shadows.  :unsure:

PS - In your second image a whole compound (hospital?) has completely vanished.....It should be to the east of the three small structures east of the putative TV station and immediately north west of the Ansar Mosque!  :o

If this is the diagonal you're talking about ...

Diagonal.jpg.efce65cd63a8d3f0f4fb9d82a74e0988.jpg

They are compound walls.  If you flick back and forward through the historical imagery (another IMINT trick) you can see that the diagonal appears to varying degrees in all of them so that, combined with the fact that they project shadows, tells you that you are seeing a physical feature rather than something created by the images being stitched together.

The place is slightly different now

Recent.thumb.jpg.ea79497e56971f2d15c7c87fe79f6cb2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I read the New Yorker article after I watched it. It put the general situation with Nineveh SWAT in perspective. They weren’t CTS, nor did the movie say they were. I enjoyed it as a mostly pure war movie, though, and a very well done one, IMHO. No love story (well, except for the reunion at the end, no corny speeches, etc. And face it, how many war movies about fighting ISIS have been made?

Your mileage obviously varied!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I was hoping someone had given CTS the credit they are long overdue.....Just look at their record, most western units would be very proud of battle honours like theirs.

PS - I did enjoy the film, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting/hoping for.

a bit of positive news I thought you'd apprrciate

Four Years After It Was Heavily Damaged, Mosul’s Iconic al-Nuri Mosque Is Being Rebuilt (msn.com)