Mosul on Netflix

mjkerner

I hope the movie is as good as the trailer. 

While we're on the subject of movies w Russian gear, anyone know of the movie from the late 80s called The Beast? Starring a T55, about a russian tank crew in Afghanistan in 1981.  It's now available on Amazon Prime for free.  I haven't seen since I first saw it a hundred years ago.  Really holds up well.  Lots of action inside & outside the tank.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:00 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

This does look good.  @Sgt.Squarehead you might find this interesting. 

Cheers fella, appreciate the heads up.....I'd like to take another look at some Mosul scenarios one day (especially if we ever get persistent map damage), but I already have too many things going on right now.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:44 AM, danfrodo said:

I hope the movie is as good as the trailer. 

While we're on the subject of movies w Russian gear, anyone know of the movie from the late 80s called The Beast? Starring a T55, about a russian tank crew in Afghanistan in 1981.  It's now available on Amazon Prime for free.  I haven't seen since I first saw it a hundred years ago.  Really holds up well.  Lots of action inside & outside the tank.

'The Beast' is actually a Tiran-5 (it was a T-55 once, but then Israelis):

Tiran-5-latrun-1.jpg

https://tanknutdave.com/israeli-tiran-tank-series/

Well, Mosul is now available on Netflix (is US at least).  But sigother unit refused to watch it with me today so had to instead watch The Crown (which is brilliant btw).  Poor Charles though.  When I was in the UK it would have been unthinkable to openly depict any member of the Royal Family so negatively.  Can't help but wonder if the hatchet job is officially designed to put pressure on poor Charles to let the more popular William succeed to the Crown.

Watched it last night. I thought it was great! It didn’t disappoint in either storyline, action scenes, or gear detail. Probably some quibbles, and will look for them in the re-watch tonight. But this movie goes on the “Will watch repeatedly over the years until my eyes bleed” list.

@mjkerner Ok, i'm sold. On my to watch list.

Changing slightly subject, I've recently watched on youtube "The white Tiger". A uncommon mix of war and supernatural events on the russian front.

Personnally I've found it pretty interesting.

Edited by Sandokan
Misspelling

6 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

"The white Tiger"

Saw this a while back.  it's "interesting"... nice to see realistic-looking T-34's and maybe the Tiger itself.  But not a great movie, poor structure - no satisfying resolution.  The end is weird.  IIRC it was Hitler being interviews by a demon or somesuch with the subtext that fascist attempts to destroy Russia are on the rise again etc.  (Hope I have remembered that correctly, or this post will appear very weird.)

37 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Wow.....Looks like they are (kind of) giving CTS some proper respect!  B)

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/david-witty-paper_final_web.pdf

https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/uploads/Documents/pubs/PolicyFocus157-Witty-2.pdf

But why call them 'Nineveh Swat' FFS?  :rolleyes:

So, now you've seen the film:

5rwLGCr.jpg

Any takers?  :P

PS - @Combatintman  I'd be particularly interested to hear your opinion of this film.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

22 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Never looked that closely as to what that scenario was about.  Will def give it a spin now!

Dude.....It was you that originally asked for it!  Seriously!  @Combatintman please back me up here!  :D

Anyhow, I just posted the ported CM:SF2 version here:

Reckon I might still make an updated version in due course, but it won't be any time soon.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I've started the original twice; after the first start BFC upgraded to SF2. Then I started it again, and you just posted the newest tweaks. (Only had a half dozen turns in. I have a short attention span, lol, and I play a scenario for a few nights, then on to another, then back around to an unfinished one, etc., etc.) Third times a charm, Sarge!

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Dude.....It was you that originally asked for it!  Seriously!  @Combatintman please back me up here!  :D

Reckon I might still make an updated version in due course, but it won't be any time soon.

I can't remember where the details of where the Mosul thing started - it was a conversation we had in 2016 or early 2017.

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It was hard to know when your projects were completed.