Some Minefield and Assault Tactics Findings

5 minutes ago, IanL said:

Well oops - I'm wrong. My engineer was definitely in harms way from the enemy too. Sorry every body. Thanks @Bulletpoint

No worries.. I know how difficult it can be to trace what actually happens sometimes.

I'm honestly puzzled why they didn't make the flamethrower do friendly fire though.

If it's to prevent the AI from firing on itself, well, that would happen extremely rarely. Anyone remember last time an attacking AI used a flamethrower against your guys? I don't think it ever happened to me.

And if it did, it would be easily attributable to the chaos of war.

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 3/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Anyone remember last time an attacking AI used a flamethrower against your guys? I don't think it ever happened to me.  

Fairly often when AI controlled flamethrowers are present in a scenario.  Especially vehicle flamethrowers.  I think AI controlled man portable flamethrowers often get killed before they can get in range (if they are even present in any numbers to begin with).  But the AI is not shy about using flamethrowers when in range.  Below is from CMRT Alarmeinheiten.  Those are AI controlled troops using flamethrowers.  

However, I do agree it would be more realistic if flamethrowers caused damage to whomever the flames hit.  Maybe someday. :) 

F3kHowrh.jpg 

Re0KsSEh.jpg

ZZtGEeph.jpg

11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:
On 3/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Anyone remember last time an attacking AI used a flamethrower against your guys? I don't think it ever happened to me.  

Fairly often when AI controlled flamethrowers are present in a scenario.  Especially vehicle flamethrowers.  I think AI controlled man portable flamethrowers often get killed before they can get in range (if they are even present in any numbers to begin with).  But the AI is not shy about using flamethrowers when in range.

I didn't mean to say the AI would hold back from using flamethrowers, simply that I never saw it happen. But then again I don't have CMRT, just CMFB where flamethrower vehicles are rare - and their range so short that they can barely hit the enemy to begin with, let alone cause any friendly casualties.

I still think it would be very rare for an AI tank to accidentally hit its own side with the flamethrower though. And not something that would be a problem for AI performance or scenario design, as I see it. So I hope they will decide to click that little checkbox that says Friendly Fire for this weapon.