Odd Netflix offering

Erwin

Got excited to see advertised "The Liberator" - a WW2 story about "The Thunderbirds" 500 day  fight from Sicily to Germany.

However, it's animated(!)

"The Liberator is an American adult animated war drama miniseries created and written by Jeb Stuart. It is based on the book The Liberator: One World War II Soldier's 500-Day Odyssey by Alex Kershaw. Directed by Greg Jonkajtys, the miniseries was released on November 11, 2020, release on Netflix."

On 11/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, Erwin said:

Got excited to see advertised "The Liberator" - a WW2 story about "The Thunderbirds" 500 day  fight from Sicily to Germany.

"The Liberator is an American adult animated war drama miniseries created and written by Jeb Stuart. It is based on the book The Liberator: One World War II Soldier's 500-Day Odyssey by Alex Kershaw. Directed by Greg Jonkajtys, the miniseries was released on November 11, 2020, release on Netflix."

I did not watch it yet, but it looks like a comic book movie (or better:Series).

After 3 weeks, I am still no Netflix fan...

Well... have loved finding lots of gems (movies + TV series) on Netflix especially from outside the US.  Now that most art houses that used to show foreign pics are gone, Netflix is the only option -  also for older movies and shows.  Have been binge-watching "Supernatural" - all 15 seasons(!) for months.  May be done by Xmas.

"The Supernatural series has 327 episodes in total. Each episode is approximately 45 minutes long. Multiplying that with the number of current episodes above, that would be 14,175 minutes, or 236 hours and 15 minutes, or a solid 10 days."

Edited by Erwin

On 11/13/2020 at 8:56 PM, Erwin said:

Well... have loved finding lots of gems (movies + TV series) on Netflix especially from outside the US.  Now that most art houses that used to show foreign pics are gone, Netflix is the only option -  also for older movies and shows.  

Hm, that‘s interesting. Stupid question: How do you find that stuff?

If I search, I find only a small number of series and movies. Say, 50 each. But that’s difficult to judge, because I never found complete lists. Breaking that down to what is of interested for me, I end up with a handful each.

Have googled what's good on Netflix as there are many review sites.  But, also spent a lot of time going thru the Netflix online offerings.  If you find something you like, one can use the "Find more shows just like this" button (I forget exactly what it's called). 

However, I believe there are more offering on the US site.   But, there may be ways to access the US site from abroad.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, Erwin said:

I watched the first few minutes of it,  actually looks quite good.  Animated, yes, but not like Disney, more like a graphic novel.  

Will give it a try.

I read "The Liberator" by Alex Kershaw and it was great! I've watched the first two episodes of season 1. It's pretty darned good. Stays pretty close to the source material, but there is a fair amount of dramatization thrown in (mostly with purpose). Thumbs up!

I have to say that I started watching this with some skepticism.. but I have to admit that I was surprised at how much I liked it.  Episode 3 in particular was outstanding.. but that last episode...  wow.  If you haven't read the book (and I had not) you will be taken by surprise at the way it finishes.

Well done.. even though I had some issues with some of the art decisions, overall it really is a beautiful show and well worth watching.

Bil

I liked it very much too. The cartoonish effect reminded me of the ww2 comic books I used to read as a kid (in the 70s). The larger-than-life heroism goes well with the format in my opinion.

Although as a CM player I cringed when I saw a 60mm mortar taking out a German panzer with its second round or when artillery scored direct hits on two tanks in the very first barrage. Aaaargh! I never had that kind of luck going for me! 

• 1 month later...

I saw it too. I've seen that live action cartoon effect in other situations where I wished I was just watching the actors in the flesh (as it were). This, I preferred the animation. Made it feel more historical maybe? Anyways, I thought it got the idea across that artillery fire is truly horrifying and in way way I had not felt before.

As to the luck of killing tanks - I wonder the scale of the fire be descended upon a rather finite space compares to anything in CMBN?

best

On 11/26/2020 at 8:12 AM, Malaspina said:

I liked it very much too. The cartoonish effect reminded me of the ww2 comic books I used to read as a kid (in the 70s). The larger-than-life heroism goes well with the format in my opinion.

Although as a CM player I cringed when I saw a 60mm mortar taking out a German panzer with its second round or when artillery scored direct hits on two tanks in the very first barrage. Aaaargh! I never had that kind of luck going for me! 

I laughed at that scene but not in the way one might think since I knew it'd ruin what is actually a pretty good show for some viewers too caught up in petty details.