BBC 4 Doco - Berlin

I will add to the Berlin factor and add this 'Little Wars TV' episode. Pre-battle interview with David Glantz. Here is the description:

In this episode, Little Wars TV revisits the Battle of Berlin 75 years later. Our special guest for this event is historian David Glantz, author of "When Titans Clashed" and more than a dozen other books on World War II and the Eastern Front. Colonel Glantz describes the enormity Soviet operation to take Berlin, along with the desperate German defensive strategy. After a fascinating historical discussion, six players fight a wargame on a 8'x4' tabletop using GHQ Miniatures. Who will win the race for the Reichstag? Can the German defenders hold out in the Zoo flak tower? Let's find out!...

Enjoy:

Edited by Blazing 88's

7 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Haven't seen all of it so it must be a doco surely? 😉

Just watched part two, just the ...tary to go. Very good clips used in this, though a lot of it is unsurprisingly post battle, they are relevant and well strung together, unlike some other programmes where the tendency is to use any old sequence of a howitzer firing or a Panzer 1 when they’re talking about a Tiger, you know the kind of irritating lazy-researcher kinda a thing. Think I noticed a Borgward B IV Demolition vehicle next to a dismembered IS2 turret in one of the clips today, will have to go back to have a look, not an bit of film or still I’d seen before.

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Think I noticed a Borgward B IV Demolition vehicle next to a dismembered IS2 turret in one of the clips today, will have to go back to have a look, not an bit of film or still I’d seen before.

It was actually one of the modified Borgward IV's - the Panzerjäger B IV Ausf B which were Ladungsleger Borgward B IV's with six Panzerschreck tubes mounted on the rear deck, extra armour and smoke dispensers on the front. There were apparently 56 such conversions made and the unit equipped with these was committed to the Berlin defence.. This one was filmed in Alexanderplatz next to the turret front and gun of an IS2. There had been some very heavy fighting in this area and several of these Panzerjäger were seen in and around the platz.

wk96KmZ.jpg

This particular vehicle has lost the Panzerschreck tubes but the smoke dispensers and reworked front can still be identified; somewhere about 33:38.

My question though - are we going to get to play with these in F&R? Fantastic late war German Wunderwaffe.

wMSS4W2.jpg

SljlVmh.jpg

cCiL7lf.jpg

HSBbd1H.jpg

nXWunLt.jpg