new urban map under construction

Léopold

Looking nice.

The gap between your two pairs of railway lines is too large - in reality they will be as close together as possible - land costs money after all - and there is no technical reason for them not to be on adjacent AS's.  It all means you can lose the grass strip in the middle which is not a common sight on railways.  Use gravel tiles under the tracks to replicate stone ballast.

Stick some railway points at either end of the platforms to create passing loops to other tracks.  Ideally you should have a main station building somewhere next to a road on one or both sides of your station and I would put in a signal box at one or both ends of the station.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's not hard to think of examples where RR or vehicle bridges are situated like in this map - especially in dense urban areas.  So, wouldn't worry about it.

Well go find them smarty pants - I spent two weeks on a course studying railway yards in the European theatre and had to endure a 30 minute Deutsche Bundesbahn video on how shunting yards work.  I travel on trains frequently and because I am a trained imagery analyst - I look at stuff and how things should look like and what looks out of place.

32 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

I spent two weeks on a course studying railway yards in the European theatre and had to endure a 30 minute Deutsche Bundesbahn video on how shunting yards work.

I'm trying to picture the expression on your face when they told you about that one!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm trying to picture the expression on your face when they told you about that one!  ;)

It was a less irritated face than the one I pulled when looking at a recent post by someone who eschews the editor and has made no released maps making comments lacking any evidence whatsoever dismissing comments by someone who has made one or two real world maps in same editor on a thread where someone is looking for help on creating a good map.

However ... hump shunting did cause mirth when explained in the video.

Comming along nicely 👍...

1 hour ago, Léopold said:

I’ll draw the city to the suburbs.

And I’ll work out all the details later.

zhn7.jpg

When i design a larger map like this I tend to mix up expanding the map further with 'some time off' to concentrate on a smaller section of the already finnished map to add the finer details to that part of the map...things like adding flavoured objects, tweaking doors and windows, slight elevationchanges and if desired...adding damage to that section...then after spending some time fine tweaking sections of the map...I go back to expand on it...painting the bigger picture.

I have found that this allows me to get more work done without exhausting myself.

It can be a bit tiresome at times to only paint the bigg pictures for days on end...and then the same with the detail work.

Mixing these two tasks up is less fatiguing imo.

Keep in mind though that you have better decided on the overall size of the map before adding flavoured objects...and eventually units to the map...as these might get moved out of place if you change the size of the map...iirc its when you expand the map to the west and north that units and flavoured objects...'moves' with the mapsize changes...I belive it is to the west and north but it might be to the south and east...I don't fully remember right now.

Again...Just a small suggestion...you obviously do as you please..😊

Edited by RepsolCBR

On 12/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, RepsolCBR said:

Comming along nicely 👍...

When i design a larger map like this I tend to mix up expanding the map further with 'some time off' to concentrate on a smaller section of the already finnished map to add the finer details to that part of the map...things like adding flavoured objects, tweaking doors and windows, slight elevationchanges and if desired...adding damage to that section...then after spending some time fine tweaking sections of the map...I go back to expand on it...painting the bigger picture.

I have found that this allows me to get more work done without exhausting myself.

It can be a bit tiresome at times to only paint the bigg pictures for days on end...and then the same with the detail work.

Mixing these two tasks up is less fatiguing imo.

Keep in mind though that you have better decided on the overall size of the map before adding flavoured objects...and eventually units to the map...as these might get moved out of place if you change the size of the map...iirc its when you expand the map to the west and north that units and flavoured objects...'moves' with the mapsize changes...I belive it is to the west and north but it might be to the south and east...I don't fully remember right now.

Again...Just a small suggestion...you obviously do as you please..😊

I will proceed in this way, it is better not to hurry and progress carefully in order to obtain a good result.

Feel free to insert photos, documents that can help me improve the map.

I think that the best piece of advice i can give right now with you about to start working on the suburbs would be to check out any of Georg MCs maps...the KING of mapmaking ! 😁..

I don't know if he has made any city maps...but the way he design his villages and farms are absolutelly brilliant...

Have a look at some of these maps both in the editor and while in gameplay mode...

The way he uses fences, hedges, trees and flavoured objects results in some very realistic looking villages imo....

I'm thinking that something simular might be suitable when designing your suburb. 🤓

As @RepsolCBR advises, just a few thoughtfully chosen & placed flavour objects can really help to increase the feeling of immersion.  If you decide a building is a petrol station/garage, give it a couple of pumps, maybe some spare tyres lying around, that sort of thing. 

Above all, if you are making a fictional area, indulge yourself and have some fun with it.  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

One thing that actually seems to be missing so far...a decent sized church 😇...

Perhaps complete with a cemetary, park (garden), alleyway...If you can find a good spot for it...If not...the church will simply be  asumed to be to the left or right of this map....

Edited by RepsolCBR

On 12/13/2020 at 11:54 AM, RepsolCBR said:

check out any of Georg MCs maps...the KING of mapmaking ! 😁..

I don't know if he has made any city maps...but the way he design his villages and farms are absolutelly brilliant..

One of the things I usually love about @George MC's maps (as I think I've told him 😉) is the use of elevation changes, which may not be so much of an option for the city map.  I also agree Ben and Pete's works are both excellent.

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

One of the things I usually love about @George MC's maps (as I think I've told him 😉) is the use of elevation changes

I most certainly agree...this is another part of map making that he exels in imo...

It may well be the most difficult part in designing a good map...and he does it in a most impressive way....

Providing both possibilities and difficulties for both attacker and defender alike...

The importance of these elevation changes is one of the most impressive aspects of combat mission imo...other games might look better but few handle elevation better when it comes to LOS/LOF...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...