2 Camo-peas helmets

I made these two SS-helmets to complement Lucky Strike's nice helmet pack, which I use with EZjax's excellent camo-peas uniforms. I use them in Final Blitzkrieg, but I imagine they will work in Normandy etc. You can probably add the camo-peas tag if you want too and increase their frequency by using multiple numbered copies.

I made them by taking the plain snow helmets, then taking parts of EZjax's uniforms to lay over the top, then tweaking to fit etc, so the color tones should match well.

DOWNLOAD LINK TO ZIP FILE (1.7MB)

aM2dP13.jpg

2 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

Looks very nice.

The Waffen-SS was never issued peadot camo helmet covers however. The pattern was only used to make tops and trousers.

I thought there must have been a reason why I never made any when I did my helmet covers. Was going to look into it but you’ve saved me a job, thanks.

Not to take away from Jace11’s excellent efforts, mind. These types of covers could have been field-improvised from discarded clothes. Now there’s something I CAN research, oh good something else to obsess over ... TA

Never mind, I wasn’t aware of that. You can find examples on google but they all appear to be contemporary, or re-enactors. I did look at some old black and white photos and it appears they are all oak leaf type. But while I am a stickler for such things I have a few mods installed that are similarly not 100% historically accurate but for good aesthetic reasons. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

That sounds like the Germans in late war...  so that justifies em nicely.

Not found any examples yet but I'll keep looking. In the meantime ...

1 hour ago, Jace11 said:

You can find examples on google but they all appear to be contemporary ... But while I am a stickler for such things I have a few mods installed that are similarly not 100% historically accurate but for good aesthetic reasons

I've come up with some, huhhum, references that you can consider for another mod 😉 These are, perhaps, a bit contemporary but every good Waffen trooper should at least have one or two of them in his kit ...

UOEwsl8.jpg

These are all real things ... 🤪 🙄 sigh ...

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

That sounds like the Germans in late war...  so that justifies em nicely.  :)   Lookin good Jace11!

Not really. Me and Lucky Strike have seen our share of Waffen-SS pictures and it's practically impossible to find any peadot on helmets or even any kind of headgear like field caps (if you do find something that looks similar, it's probably plane tree camo). I have seen Heer soldiers wearing peadot trousers in 1945 though, as well as an officer with a peadot tunic with Heer insignia sewed onto it, and a probable picture of an SS Fallschirmjaeger smock in peadot.

Just spraying the helmet with camo paint seems more practical than gathering damaged uniforms and salvaging the material. It would also be simpler to do it from a zeltbahn, which was never made in peadot either. I have rarely seen SS with improvised helmet covers in the first place, since they would usually be issued one.

Either way, it's your mod, you did a good job on it and I don't really care if you use it. I just wanted to make people aware of the fact. I don't deny that some insane person may have done it and it was captured in an either currently unaccessible photograph, or one I haven't seen yet either.

Edited by Frenchy56

7 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

Not really. Me and Lucky Strike have seen our share of Waffen-SS pictures and it's practically impossible to find any peadot on helmets or even any kind of headgear like field caps (if you do find something that looks similar, it's probably plane tree camo). I have seen Heer soldiers wearing peadot trousers in 1945 though, as well as an officer with a peadot tunic with Heer insignia sewed onto it, and a probable picture of an SS Fallschirmjaeger smock in peadot

Yep, we been lookin’ at the same stuff by the sounds of it. I do have some books in pdf form that I will take a spin through and a couple of very recent tomes that have some less common photos, but don’t hold out much hope of finding an actual pic of one. As Frenchy says the SS tended to issue helmet covers as standard, which were on the whole made of everything but pea dot. And a handful of mud was pretty much just as effective ...

Anyway I may have to get me one of those mugs for Christmas...

16 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Not found any examples yet but I'll keep looking. In the meantime ...

I've come up with some, huhhum, references that you can consider for another mod 😉 These are, perhaps, a bit contemporary but every good Waffen trooper should at least have one or two of them in his kit ...

UOEwsl8.jpg

These are all real things ... 🤪 🙄 sigh ...

wow- i thought you were kidding....

gotta say, i find that kinda disturbing- especially the masks.  definitely . wouldn't feel comfortable seeing one on a care worker of some sort.

cheers,

rob

30 minutes ago, quakerparrot67 said:

wow- i thought you were kidding....

gotta say, i find that kinda disturbing- especially the masks.  definitely . wouldn't feel comfortable seeing one on a care worker of some sort.

cheers,

rob

Yes, kinda disturbing that something with such sinister connections can be trivialised so easily and taken waaay out of context. The company that produces this stuff, ArtifexHistoria, also produces some other choice objects, which appear for sale on some pretty mainstream sites, that are quite worryingly near the top of Google searches. Nothing remotely historical or research connected, just tut like t-shirts, phone covers and weird acrylic blocks for your bookshelf. This ain't stuff for reenactors neither, it's just plain ignorance or they've a hidden agenda, I couldn't say which.