The Queen of the Battlefield

Last night I was playing an MG scenario as the Brits (inevitably) defending (I won't name it).

It was the usual thing. Taking on tanks with infantry and running out of ammo against repeated German onslaughts.

But I thought I had it in the bag with about 20 minutes to go. Why haven't the Germans surrendered though? There can't be more reinforcements, can there? Yes, there could.

Massive attack right down the middle and one to the right. As luck would have it I'd called in a long call time arty strike on the right "just in case" and the Germans walked right into it.

But my middle was completely exposed. The previous attacks had drawn my paras to the flanks where they were depleted and low on ammo. The reserve had been committed elsewhere. There was no-one to plug the huge gap.

I scrabbled around looking for anyone who could cover. The gap was largely open until it crossed a road at the foot of the hill the Germans were rushing down. Once they crossed that they were into the woods and there'd be little I could do to get them out. I pulled in mortar teams who'd run out of shells, HQs, AT teams, ATG crews out of HE, dismounted jeep drivers, anyone with bullets who could fire at the German flanks.

Then I looked at my rear. There was the battalion HQ and a nearby Bren carrier.

Major Cousens boarded the carrier with his team and started the journey round the woods to the road at the bottom of the hill. It would take three minutes to get there.

The guys who were firing on the attack were doing a good job but it wasn't quite enough. The lead Germans were reaching the road.

Then the Queen of the Battlefield roared into view at full speed. The gunner spraying the Germans crossing the road. As it continued, the Major and his HQ stood up in the still fast moving carrier, firing their Stens into the wheat field the other side of the road. There were red crosses everywhere.

When I hit the end of turn, the Germans surrendered. We made tea.

Nothing will make the Germans surrender quicker that a British major with a Sten riding the Queen of the Battlefield at high speed.

I felt thoroughly British. 🧐

Wish I took a screenshot.

🤔

2 hours ago, John1966 said:

Last night I was playing an MG scenario

It was the usual thing

my middle was completely exposed

Then I looked at my rear

Major Cousens boarded with his team

When I hit the end of turn, We made tea.

I felt thoroughly British.

A quick summary of your evening 😁.

Being British I normally play as German, but yes it can come down to 'little things' tipping the balance.  Well played 👍.

2 hours ago, John1966 said:

Then the Queen of the Battlefield roared into view at full speed. The gunner spraying the Germans crossing the road. As it continued, the Major and his HQ stood up in the still fast moving carrier, firing their Stens into the wheat field the other side of the road. There were red crosses everywhere.

When I hit the end of turn, the Germans surrendered. We made tea.

Nothing will make the Germans surrender quicker that a British major with a Sten riding the Queen of the Battlefield at high speed.

+1  Well played.  

3 hours ago, John1966 said:

Paddy lifts his eyes from his copy of the Sporting Post. "Did yer'se hear this gob****e, Mr. Jorrocks, Sir. He felt so British, that he said that he was playing as "the Brits".

"Don't worry about it Paddy old boy. By the time the Dictatorship of the Semi-Literate take power we will both be in our graves."

"Ah, right you are Sir. Another G'n'T will it be?"

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

In the meantime, I'd like to know which scenario the OP was playing.

Well it contained a spoiler (there's a massive attack 20 minutes from the end) so I didn't want to say.

But if you really need to know...

*SPOILERS*

Borderlands

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

How to take afternoon tea like a Brit

I remember reading in Anthony Beevor's Arnhem about a para hailed as a hero by his comrades for going out under fire to the drop canisters looking for tea. Found some too.

Got a bollocking from his officers though.

55 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The screenshots are from CM Red Thunder but they show some flamethrowers at work in the game.     

Actually, now I think about it, I was aware they were in RT but I haven't got that one yet.

But Warts 'n' all is talking about a Market Garden scenario.

The Renault Flammpanzer came with the Vehicle Pack a few years ago. So the revised version of Borderlands has -vp stuck on the end of it. Although when I played it I gave it the name "Charred Borderlands" in my results log. I don't know if it still available in the Scenario Depot if anyone wants to give it a go.

Here's one of Renaults after it was charred.   

Charred Renault.jpg

On 11/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

I don't know if it still available in the Scenario Depot if anyone wants to give it a go.

I don't have the Flammpanzer version as part of the Big Bundle, and I can't see it on Bootie's pages.  I suppose I could try to fire up the editor if it's just a 'simple' matter of swapping out the Panzer 3s tank for tank?

Edited by Vacilllator