Nebelwerfers

Is anyone able to advise on the reload time for Nebelwerfers, please?  I have a six launcher battery available and have used a short three launcher salvo, but since the strike further availability has been denied to my FO despite plenty of rockets unused.  Nothing in the manual about reload times unfortunately.

I just checked. Opening barrage Nebelwerfer 41 the setup screen said first salvo immediately, second salvo in 12 minutes. But while playing (in Warrior mode) is says second salvo is coming in 6 minutes. Fast-forwarding through the turns 2nd salvo comes at 6 1/2 minute and was apparently one last rocket before the mission was over.

Thanks all for your responses.  Yes, correct, just noticed I’ve lost two out of the three team members and only the radio operator is still alive!  Damn!  I still an HQ team active.  Will they be able to call in support?  He has the “denied” message as well, so I assume it was only the FO himself that had permission.

I think that Nebelwerfers were used en mass in operational-strategic maneuvers - ie obliterating miles of front.  They are far too inaccurate for the small scale of CM scenarios.  I cannot recall ever getting any desired effect from a barrage from one or two batteries.  As someone else mentioned, maybe best used for SMOKE.

I’m playing one of the stock R2V scenarios.  They didn’t become available until 25 mins into the battle, so no chance of first turn use.  Knowing how inaccurate they can be, I tried a short three launcher salvo (using a TRP) and they actually surprised me as to how close they came to target.  Unfortunately I lost my FO before I could call in a second shoot as I was about to go large!

"In 1930 the German General Staff had spotted a loophole in the Versailles treaty; they were effectively forbidden to develop heavy artillery but the treaty said nothing about rockets."

https://ww2db.com/weapon.php?q=248

"Initially, Nebelwerfers were created for the use of chemical weapons, but in fact, they were used for firing high-explosive projectiles."

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/german-rocket-launchers.html

"The Nebelwerfer were a series of rocket-launching systems produced by Nazi Germany from 1934 through the end of World War II. The launchers were given their name as a method of disinformation to fool members of the League of Nations and combatintman. Since the literal translation meant "smoke mortar" or projector, the weapon system was overlooked under the assumption it was being designed as a defensive weapon to create a smoke screen."

https://www.army.mil/article/222583/ria_self_guided_tour_nebelwerfer_41_150mm_multiple_rocket_launcher

12 hours ago, Combatintman said:

So working as intended then ... 😉

Nebelwerfer.jpg.4a919a9f84d9a4f389dc5a87d6e86453.jpg

Yeah, sure. Speaking German I am well aware, what „Nebelwerfer“ means. Though, there is also the claim from Rudolph Nebel, that he developed them and that they were named after him.

Anyway, I guess what we all want to see in CM is the „Big Bang“, not the smoke....😊

Edited by StieliAlpha

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Anyway, I guess what we all want to see in CM is the „Big Bang“, not the smoke....😊

Actually I'd like to use smoke more often. It's just not very viable currently, with the way the game mechanics are set up.

If you want to werf enough nebel to really matter, you're going to pay several Tigers worth of points. Maybe in some rare cases, that will be worth it.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Actually I'd like to use smoke more often. It's just not very viable currently, with the way the game mechanics are set up.

If you want to werf enough nebel to really matter, you're going to pay several Tigers worth of points. Maybe in some rare cases, that will be worth it.

You mean with regards to nebelwerfers or in general? Artillery often comes with a good dose of smoke rounds, which can certainly werf enough nebel to matter ;-). 

Haven't used that much rocket artillery in CM (and I can't remember I ever used them to smoke), but in my memory the HE rockets do cause a healthy amount of suppression and deadly against troops in the open.
Against troops in cover they are less useful perhaps, although the heavier calibres have quite some HE power. Ideal for saturating a larger area with a lot of HE, right before an attack on the position (or ideally right when troops leave the assembly area and advance to contact).

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, but using the smoke means you also expend the HE. So it's a pretty expensive smokescreen.

Not in my experience?
To clarify I can fire a smoke mission with duration maximum, using up all the smoke rounds But after that the HE rounds are still available for fire missions. The other way around was not possible IIRC; if HE rounds are out than the piece is shown as empty.

Thank me later 😜

19 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Yeah, never quite understood that. How come HE is still there when the smoke is exhausted but the smoke disappears when the HE is used up?

Agreed, although I have learned to live with this after it's been like this that long; it would be nice to be able to use the smoke rounds when HE is depleleted.

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

Agreed, although I have learned to live with this after it's been like this that long

Quite. There's all sorts of oddities I just accept as part of the game after all this time.

(My scouts got shot up by a Tiger in the open they couldn't see last night. I've stopped moaning about that sort of thing ;))

4 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Quite. There's all sorts of oddities I just accept as part of the game after all this time.

(My scouts got shot up by a Tiger in the open they couldn't see last night. I've stopped moaning about that sort of thing ;))

Lol, yes sometimes it's difficult to explain what you see. Although at the same time in most of the cases, it does a very good job.

And with some imagination it's easy to explain that in some cases people just don't see stuff which they should see. Distracted, whatever. There is chance involved in whether someone can spot something, but the visual fidelity doesn't show a soldier looking at his mobile phone/watch/whatever when they draw bad luck.

5 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Not in my experience?
To clarify I can fire a smoke mission with duration maximum, using up all the smoke rounds But after that the HE rounds are still available for fire missions. The other way around was not possible IIRC; if HE rounds are out than the piece is shown as empty.

Thank me later 😜

I'm going to thank you now if that is true, because I had no idea it worked that way.

Whenever people have brought this up on the forum, they have always been told that this is due to each battery only assigning a certain amount of "lanyard pulls", so if you fire shells as HE, you won't get them as smoke. But now I see that was just a smokescreen to explain away a bug.