Plan Your Mission: Web-Based Application for Planning Operations

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this wonderful application

https://www.map.army

It allows you make your own maps laying military symbology (2525b) and GIS vector and raster data, over a map of the world. Allows saving the maps to their proprietary format, collaborative editing etc.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

• 2 weeks later...

Are you based in NSW these days? 

I used it to illustrate some vignettes for work, it does also "support" emergency response planning. It has limitations - doesn't cover the whole 2525b set - but the other app that I knew offering similar features, Milsym, doesn't work very well under Windows 10.

I have still to try its overlays, and see what you can do with historical maps.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

18 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Are you based in NSW these days? 

I used it to illustrate some vignettes for work, it does also "support" emergency response planning. It has limitations - doesn't cover the whole 2525b set - but the other app that I knew offering similar features, Milsym, doesn't work very well under Windows 10.

I have still to try its overlays, and see what you can do with historical maps.

Sadly not now mate - had to return to the UK for family reasons.

I used to use Milsketch for symbols but couldn't get on with the overlays as they were bloody fiddly.  I do most of my stuff mandraulically by screen shotting the map and then adding symbols in Powerpoint.  No good if you need geo referenced data but good enough for a briefing map.

17 hours ago, Combatintman said:

.  I do most of my stuff mandraulically by screen shotting the map and then adding symbols in Powerpoint.  No good if you need geo referenced data but good enough for a briefing map

I had a similar method using draw.io ( now https://app.diagrams.net ). Check it out, you may find it useful.

18 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Sadly not now mate - had to return to the UK for family reasons

I hope you find your way back down under some time soon. I don't love Sydney, but the Southern Highlands, and the coastlines north of Newcastle and south of Wollongong have a dear place in my heart.

PS: playing Verdenne or Victory over PBEM as the US Army. Great map, tactical situation very hairy. Where is the third company of my battalion? Got lost in the mist? Great scenario! :)