MG 505th PIR has run-in with possible one off Panzer IV/H or J derived FlakPanzer

In his phenomenal Four Stars of Valor, Thorndyke describes a terrifying encounter the 505th had near Groesbeek, Holland. It was described as a Mark IV with the turret removed and two cannon fitted that could rotate. Cannon size wasn't listed, but believe reasonable options would've been 37 or 40 mm. Firepower was devastating, and the AFV was found to be hard to kill because of the screens on its sides. A Moebelwagen can't possibly be what's described because a) neither had a twin mount of the sort of weapon described by the lucky to survive it paratroopers and b) have never seen a pic of one with screens of any sort fitted. 

The.closest thing I've ever seen to the possible FlakPanzer was this one off Panther FlakPanzer imaged in, I believe, Poland.

7e46d4b2527b768b80059850737f14fb--ww-tan

Regards,

John Kettler

Vacillator,

Presuming the picture is legit, what I see is a Coelian, not a Kugelblitz.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-germany-leichte-flakpanzer-iv-3-cm-kugelblitz/

Ts4EVER,

All true, and there's excellent coverage of these online, but I first saw the T-34 Flakpanzer in the Fedororowicz tome on that unit. Want to say that was the 653rd Schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 10/26/2020 at 5:58 PM, John Kettler said:

Presuming the picture is legit, what I see is a Coelian, not a Kugelblitz.

Agreed John, I'm mixing up my sloppily observed fantasy web pages.  The picture doesn't look too legit to me, even the angle of the gun mounting on the turret looks a bit suspect.  Another clue is the observation on Wiki 'but was never built'.  It's okay for War Thunder purposes however 😁.