FO/HQ assets

Right, I'm totally confused. First time I've noticed this and apologies if everyone else already knew.

I've got an FO/HQ trying to call in OFF MAP artillery. I assumed that if they have a LOS, they have a LOS. They had visual contact with the target.

But no "strike cursor" when they try calling in the arty (just the red "no LOS" circle). Fair enough. I assumed it was a quirky thing where they can only see the top of it or something. But they couldn't call in the arty anywhere near it. Frustrating.

But after playing around with it about for a bit I discovered they had the strike cursor with some OFF MAP artillery but not other OFF MAP artillery. I thought it wouldn't make a difference. Why would it make a difference?

For example, apparently no LOS if they tried the calling in the 81mm battery. But the same FO/HQ in the same spot could call in the 120mm battery. (Which means that ATG is getting more HE dropped on it than I wanted).

Why?

2 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Right, I'm totally confused. First time I've noticed this and apologies if everyone else already knew.

I've got an FO/HQ trying to call in OFF MAP artillery. I assumed that if they have a LOS, they have a LOS. They had visual contact with the target.

But no "strike cursor" when they try calling in the arty (just the red "no LOS" circle). Fair enough. I assumed it was a quirky thing where they can only see the top of it or something. But they couldn't call in the arty anywhere near it. Frustrating.

But after playing around with it about for a bit I discovered they had the strike cursor with some OFF MAP artillery but not other OFF MAP artillery. I thought it wouldn't make a difference. Why would it make a difference?

For example, apparently no LOS if they tried the calling in the 81mm battery. But the same FO/HQ in the same spot could call in the 120mm battery. (Which means that ATG is getting more HE dropped on it than I wanted).

Why?

Range of off map mortars maybe. I think 81mm can only go so far on big maps (might be restricted for on map only, can't remember) 

2 hours ago, John1966 said:

Yes, just spotted the "out of range".

I didn't realise off-map artillery actually had a range, seeing as we don't actually know where it is.

I think 81mm mortars, which have a limited range, are assumed to start on the edge of the map.

You'll occasionally find angle of fire will affect artillery, including off-map artillery.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:00 AM, Freyberg said:

I think 81mm mortars, which have a limited range, are assumed to start on the edge of the map.

You'll occasionally find angle of fire will affect artillery, including off-map artillery.

Yeah that's right - if your mortar has got a 1,500m range then that's as far as it can be fired from the friendly edge of the map.