shells density to have an efficient fire

Well this game is driving me crazy !!!
after having pushed me to be interested in botany, obliged to use photoshop now I am doing mathematics, a subject that comes out of useful bases interests me as much as the reproduction of the tick on the eastern slopes of the Alps !!!

So here is my problem:
 I have 550 shells of 105mm 
I am using a shooting zone, the zone I want to hit is a circle 350m in diameter
then [(175 x 175) x ft] / 550 = 174.8 m²
one shell every 13.2 m
does anyone know the number of shells per x m² for with a good average useful destruction ???

Are you perhaps not overcomplicating things ?

Finding a good duration and intensity will be good enough...no?

This looks like a good time to do some hotseat QB testing...

Pick the types of maps(terrain) you would like to test...plink down some defenders on it...and blow it to pieces 😊...

Testing different settings in the artillery interface....and then watching the results.

That ought to give you the best answers..

This is a modern Russian artillery nomogram :

rvxJhZ3.png

Example 3 ( the dashed green line) :

Determine how many 100mm cannon and the quantity of rounds needed to destroy dug-in personnel and weapons in a 7.2 hectare target area in a 10 minute artillery strike.

Begin at the "duration of fire" axis and find 10 minutes. From that point, move vertically to the 100mm line in "type of fire". Mark that point. Next, drop down to the "area of destruction" axis and find 7.2 hectare. Move horizontally to the 100mm line in "covered and concealed personnel and weapons". Move vertically and determine where the second point on the "type of fire" line and this line intersect. They intersect at 36 on the "quantity of artillery pieces (mortars)". The green line crossed the "quantity of rounds" axis at 1800. Thus the mission will require 36 100mm cannons and 1800 rounds.

The Russian Way of War, Lester W. Grau, Charles K. Bartles. Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, KS.

14 hours ago, Falaise said:

Well this game is driving me crazy !!!
after having pushed me to be interested in botany, obliged to use photoshop now I am doing mathematics, a subject that comes out of useful bases interests me as much as the reproduction of the tick on the eastern slopes of the Alps !!!

So here is my problem:
 I have 550 shells of 105mm 
I am using a shooting zone, the zone I want to hit is a circle 350m in diameter
then [(175 x 175) x ft] / 550 = 174.8 m²
one shell every 13.2 m
does anyone know the number of shells per x m² for with a good average useful destruction ???

Eh, your calculation is wrong. (Sorry, old engineers habit. „First of all, check if the numbers match.“) 🤓

The area is „D squared x Pi / 4“ or 350x350x3.14/4= 96‘162 m2. With 550 shells, this comes to 0.005 shells/m2. But a square meter is a very  small area.

Quite a long time ago, we discussed the blast radius of artillery shells in a thread (I think, it was naval gun related). That discussion may give some further info.

8 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Eh, your calculation is wrong. (Sorry, old engineers habit. „First of all, check if the numbers match.“) 🤓

The area is „D squared x Pi / 4“ or 350x350x3.14/4= 96‘162 m2. With 550 shells, this comes to 0.005 shells/m2. But a square meter is a very  small area.

Quite a long time ago, we discussed the blast radius of artillery shells in a thread (I think, it was naval gun related). That discussion may give some further info.

like i said math isnt my forte but i checked i got the same numbers
my formula is R²x pi or (175 x 175) x 3.14 = 96162.5 / 550 = 174.4

17 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

This is a modern Russian artillery nomogram :

rvxJhZ3.png

Example 3 ( the dashed green line) :

Determine how many 100mm cannon and the quantity of rounds needed to destroy dug-in personnel and weapons in a 7.2 hectare target area in a 10 minute artillery strike.

Begin at the "duration of fire" axis and find 10 minutes. From that point, move vertically to the 100mm line in "type of fire". Mark that point. Next, drop down to the "area of destruction" axis and find 7.2 hectare. Move horizontally to the 100mm line in "covered and concealed personnel and weapons". Move vertically and determine where the second point on the "type of fire" line and this line intersect. They intersect at 36 on the "quantity of artillery pieces (mortars)". The green line crossed the "quantity of rounds" axis at 1800. Thus the mission will require 36 100mm cannons and 1800 rounds.

The Russian Way of War, Lester W. Grau, Charles K. Bartles. Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, KS.

as Erwin says, this graphic is fascinating
by combining the set it will give me a reference
thanks beaucoup