[RvR scenario] Field Trials

y9TB6S1.jpg

"Field Trials"

Red-vs-Red - Syrian Army attacking Uncon Fighters

Base game only - no modules required

1-hour on a 544m x 400m map

05 MAY 2008 0615H – Latakia Region

Syrian Army BTR Company is approaching a farming village captured in the night by a band of fighters.

In the center of the village is a regional government administration center of vital importance to maintaining control in the region - it must be preserved and liberated at all costs!

----------------

Decided to update an old (circa 2007) scenario of mine for CMSF:2 - this time sticking with the Syrian setting of the base game.

Best played as the Attackers or Multiplayer.

The AI has several plans for the defenders and one basic plan for the attackers. 

I kept the force balance pretty well exactly the same as the original scenario - which in multiplayer has proven challenging, but fairly balanced for both sides - at least back in CMSF:1.

Download here - https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-scenarios/field-trials-red-vs-red/

1Lhm8sA.jpg

I've used Polyanskoe a number of times... great to hear that it has been updated properly.

Also, I hate to harass you, but I'm almost as big a hoarder as @Erwin... do you happen to have your "Black Bear down" scenario or, as you were a fan of the era, the "Battle of Grozny campaign" by @RommL?

Edited by 37mm

6 hours ago, 37mm said:

I've used Polyanskoe a number of times... great to hear that it has been updated properly.

This is incredible - I didn't realize there was footage of anyone playing though the old scenario! Not doing to lie, I got a little bit chocked up seeing the familiar little village still being dug up over a decade later! 😄 Thank you for that!

As for the actual update - while the overall layout and the buildings are exactly the same as before, I ended up changing the terrain features quite a bit. Having played the old map with comrades in H2H about a dozen times, I always felt the terrain did not allow for much diversity in tactics for either side. Hence the update features an addition of orchards and a few rolling elevation changes.

Same goes for the river - the intention was always to create a few vehicle choke points; the bridge being the obvious one, but also to funnel any BTR trying to cross the river bed. Unfortunately CMSF-1 lacked any terrain which would block vehicles, yet allow solders on foot to traverse - luckily "marsh" tile in CMSF-2 fits the bill perfectly. On the new map you might now notice there is only three spots were vehicles can get across the muddy river bed.

6 hours ago, 37mm said:

Also, I hate to harass you, but I'm almost as big a hoarder as @Erwin... do you happen to have your "Black Bear down" scenario or, as you were a fan of the era, the "Battle of Grozny campaign" by @RommL?

No trouble at all - I've actually been trying to figure out what happened to my old CMSF-1 installation and recover other scenarios as well. Unfortunately having gone through a few old computer HDDs I found nothing - no scenarios or campaigns, at least.

I did find however, an old back up of the "z-folder" with a bunch of mods in it. Let me know if any of those seem like something you'd like to add to your collection.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, 37mm said:

I have "Battle of Grozny" campaign.  Not sure about "Black Bear Down" - designers sometimes give their scenarios strange prefixes or a slightly different name (or NATO/US/USMC etc) so it's not easy to locate.   Make sure you have the exact right name.

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I have "Battle of Grozny" campaign.  Not sure about "Black Bear Down" - designers sometimes give their scenarios strange prefixes or a slightly different name (or NATO/US/USMC etc) so it's not easy to locate.   Make sure you have the exact right name.

Could you upload the campaign somewhere?

1 hour ago, Roter Stern said:

This is incredible - I didn't realize there was footage of anyone playing though the old scenario! Not doing to lie, I got a little bit chocked up seeing the familiar little village still being dug up over a decade later! 😄 Thank you for that!

As for the actual update - while the overall layout and the buildings are exactly the same as before, I ended up changing the terrain features quite a bit. Having played the old map with comrades in H2H about a dozen times, I always felt the terrain did not allow for much diversity in tactics for either side. Hence the update features an addition of orchards and a few rolling elevation changes.

Same goes for the river - the intention was always to create a few vehicle choke points; the bridge being the obvious one, but also to funnel any BTR trying to cross the river bed. Unfortunately CMSF-1 lacked any terrain which would block vehicles, yet allow solders on foot to traverse - luckily "marsh" tile in CMSF-2 fits the bill perfectly. On the new map you might now notice there is only three spots were vehicles can get across the muddy river bed.

No trouble at all - I've actually been trying to figure out what happened to my old CMSF-1 installation and recover other scenarios as well. Unfortunately having gone through a few old computer HDDs I found nothing - no scenarios or campaigns, at least.

I did find however, an old back up of the "z-folder" with a bunch of mods in it. Let me know if any of those seem like something you'd like to add to your collection.

Cheers!

Detailed foliage icons & shaded wall tiles sound interesting.

Gordons camo vehicles might provide interesting alternatives to the Euroscape vehicles (assuming they weren't already part of that massive mod compilation).

@Erwin, @Vergeltungswaffe, @37mm - have any of you guys tried running this scenario?

Someone over at the Scenario Depot (down in the comments) can't even see the scenario show up in their game.

I wonder if there is something off on my end. I'm running CMSF:2 v2.04 (Game Engine 4) - Steam version, if that makes a difference.

Edited by Roter Stern

39 minutes ago, IanL said:

If the person still has 2.03 installed then that would explain it. The Steam vs not Steam has no effect since the version and the code is the same between the two.

39 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Ian has the right of it. Scenarios are always forward compatible, but not backwards.

It works fine for me.

Sounds good, glad to hear it works for someone other than me.

Now that I look at the BFC website, seems like v2.03 is the latest patch listed on the CMSF:2 website (https://www.battlefront.com/shock-force-2/cmsf2-base-game/?tab=patches). Where as v2.04 is indeed the latest patch listed on https://www.battlefront.com/patches.

I wonder if this is what has some folks thinking that v2.03 is the latest.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, Erwin said:

Not sure about "Black Bear Down" - designers sometimes give their scenarios strange prefixes or a slightly different name (or NATO/US/USMC etc) so it's not easy to locate.   Make sure you have the exact right name.

The full name is most likely either "Chechen War - Black Bear Down" or "RvR Chechen War - Black Bear Down".

Can you check please? I would actually be interested in getting it back as well.

Edited by Roter Stern

On 10/22/2020 at 11:13 AM, 37mm said:

Detailed foliage icons & shaded wall tiles sound interesting.

Gordons camo vehicles might provide interesting alternatives to the Euroscape vehicles (assuming they weren't already part of that massive mod compilation).

Here you go - uploaded the entire archive (400Mb compressed) for your viewing pleasure:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tQzcIe4b8lJnQ3tBX2yEfjoCnY4O7RXa/view?usp=sharing

Red Rebels and Rus Spetznaz are my handy work; credit for the rest goes to all the respective amazing folks.

Shameless self-indulgence follows.

Apparently the "Red Rebels" were so revolutionary (pun intended, sorry) back in the day, that MikeyD even had this to say:

i really really didn't think much could be done with those 'combatant' skins. That is CLEVER!

followed then by his own rendition of a Rebel skin:

😄😄

42 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Sorry... I only see "RvR Chechen War - Polyanskoe".  

What is "Black Bear" about?

It was a fairly simple scenario, another RvR H2H:

"The scenario takes place on the evening of 17 May 1995 after a Federal Mi-8 transport helicopter is shot down over a Guerrilla controlled mountain region in South Chechnya. The Company sized engagement is between the Russian Federal forces attempting a rescue and Chechen Guerrilla forces advancing on the crash site to eliminate survivors and gather intelligence."

More or less a conscript BTR company walking into a rebel fighter ambush attempting to rescue Spetnaz survivors defending the crash site.

4 hours ago, Roter Stern said:

It was a fairly simple scenario, another RvR H2H:

Ok...  Generally I didn't d/l H2H scenarios as I don't have time to play em vs human (as much as I would like to).  I only played CM1 H2H cos the AI was much less sophisticated than CM2, but CM1 was also a lot easier and faster to play.