Mortar targeting

Apologies if this is a much-covered thing but I'm sure this has been tested by someone.

Since the introduction of "target briefly", I use it a lot.

In fact I often click 4 times to give a full minute of firing (which I repeat in the next turn if required). The reason I do that is in case I forget the "clear target" and empty the ammo box on a long since neutralised target (which I often used to do).

But I've noticed that with "target", mortars will hone in on the target until they're getting it right in the pickle jar (or foxhole/trench/whatever).

With "target briefly", they never seem to get closer, even if the fire is continuous for several minutes.

Have I noticed this correctly or is it a figment of my imagination?

2 hours ago, IanL said:

I am fond of target light - which for mortars is a slower rate of fire.

Well I've learned something new. I had always assumed that "target light" for a mortar team meant fire your small arms! Mortar teams are infantry after all. As a result I've never used it. Except when they're out of mortar shells in which case I use "target" anyway.

Thank you for that.

3 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

If you do one minute of 'target briefly', I think the mortars will stop aiming after that minute, so when you do another minute, it is basically a new fire mission.

From what I've observed (and I've not tested it), it looks like they start again every 15 seconds. In other words, they never get anywhere near the target.

Yet with "target", they're hitting every time before the first minute is out.

(Before my break from CM, I hadn't upgraded to get "target briefly" so this is all new to me)

Target Briefly with on-map mortars:

If you have a red targeting line at the end of a turn, and you do not adjust it, but simply click 'target briefly' to extend the mission, then once on target, it will remain on target.

If you interrupt the mission in any way (i.e. if you 'break' the red targeting line by moving it or allowing it to expire), then the mortars will need to do ranging shots again.

Edited by Freyberg

On 10/16/2020 at 11:15 PM, Freyberg said:

If you have a red targeting line at the end of a turn, and you do not adjust it, but simply click 'target briefly' to extend the mission, then once on target, it will remain on target.

I'd assumed that. But not sure that's actually what I'm seeing. Hence the post.

Anyone tested it?

10 hours ago, Freyberg said:

Have you checked the weather conditions? Wind makes mortars inaccurate.

Light wind, if I recall.

But the only reason I really noticed was because I had some mortars using "target" on some 20mm AA nasties (which were priority targets for me) and others using "target briefly" on an MG team (in the same scenario). The ones using "target" were getting their rounds bang on target within the first minute but the ones using "target briefly" never seemed to home in on the target even after a couple of minutes of firing.

When an 88mm was spotted I just used "target" and again the rounds were on the money within a minute. Gave up on the MG after I'd already wasted too much ammo on it.

5 hours ago, John1966 said:

..... The ones using "target" were getting their rounds bang on target within the first minute but the ones using "target briefly" never seemed to home in on the target even after a couple of minutes of firing. ....

That's interesting - I'm gonna try using 'target' and see if that makes them more accurate - I'd always accepted a bit of spread, but maybe the two commands are set up differently.