50mm ATG issue?

8 hours ago, Freyberg said:

I remembered the thread from way back because it was so interesting :)

Note to self, must search the forums more 😉

That is definitely something I'd never heard of.  It explains the fate of the T34/85s, although at the range they were at (ambush of course) normal 50mm AT rounds may have achieved similar results.

Now, let's see if I have a save with it in for a closer look...

9 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Did the gun survive  ? 🤓

If I say that they were not the only T34/85s in the area is that enough information? However, I think the crew abandoned the gun with only one casualty amongst them so it could have been worse.

Oh, and then came 88mm rounds from my other ambushers 😉.

Edited by Vacilllator

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

If I say that they were not the only T34/85s in the area is that enough information? However, I think the crew abandoned the gun with only one casualty amongst them so it could have been worse.

Ok...a light AT-gun vs two late war tanks is a nice trade though...It's hard to keep those guns alive...

Getting kills with them is quite satisfactory 😎...Not quite as much as with hand hald AT-weapons but...almost...and in third place comes the tank destroyers...as satisfactory tank killers 😁.

Glad things got sorted eventually...

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

and in third place comes the tank destroyers

Well, that's another story from the same scenario - I had four Jagdpanzer IVs on the other flank.  They were doing a great job, but their numbers are now sadly depleted ☹️.

Agree with you on the hand-helds and had some success with them as well in the scenario.  At the other end of the scale I also witnessed an 88mm (L71) shell going straight through a T34/85 turret and out the other side - that was impressive.  And just in case your wondering, to my knowledge there are no more Soviet tanks to deal with, but we'll see...

Edited by Vacilllator

i pretty much played all the CMRT stuff in the first year after the module released...I don't quite remember this scenario...but i might very well have to take it for a spin a second time some day soon 😎...

but then again...CMFR is not that far away...so maybe not 🙃...

My number ONE kill shot of all times were in CMRT...i don't remember the name of this scenario either but i was playing the germans and one of my pz 4s came across a number of russian SU76 assult guns. The panzer opened fire and hit the first one and the shot went strait through and hit a second one...and  i'm almost sure that it indeed managed to penetrate that one to and continue and take out even a third assultgun...with the same shot !! 😁

I'm not 100 % sure about the third...but almost. Taking out 2 tanks with one shoot is not that extreme...but three is a bit more impressive and i  remember jumping in my chair and screaming of joy...😁. So i do actually belive it was three...Thats some bad ass shooting !!! 

57 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Poked a Panther out from behind a building in a CMFI pbem when I noticed my opponent had 4 Humber AC's coming up a road and managed to hole all 4 in one shot.

We still laugh about that one.

Ace going ! 😊...

27 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Hah, that 2011 thread I spotted a forgotten old post of mine where I suggested we don't have many photos of the round because it was so UGLY😁

150mm.jpg

To call it pretty is not...all that easy.

But then again if it was a piece of art made by 'the right guy' instead of a weapon...you could probably sell it for 5 million dollars and the people who knows about these things would admire it...forever ! 😁

8 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Oh, and then came 88mm rounds from my other ambushers 😉.

What? You actually got the 88 to fire? Assuming you are talking about the Flak, those always are close to useless  for me. Though they look impressive...😎

1 minute ago, StieliAlpha said:

You actually got the 88 to fire? Assuming you are talking about the Flak

It was actually the magnificent 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 on a Tiger II, although other L/56 variants were also on hand nearby.  I did read in another post a complaint that this was a rather random inclusion of yet another Tiger II, but (perhaps ignoring history in exchange for a good game) I have no issue with it 😉.

I'm not sure I've yet encountered the 88 Flak in ground role, can you recommend a battle which has them?

7 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

It was actually the magnificent 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 on a Tiger II, although other L/56 variants were also on hand nearby.  I did read in another post a complaint that this was a rather random inclusion of yet another Tiger II, but (perhaps ignoring history in exchange for a good game) I have no issue with it 😉.

I'm not sure I've yet encountered the 88 Flak in ground role, can you recommend a battle which has them?

Yeah, some in BN, MG and FI. If that is of interest, I’ll try to remember. MG Joe’s Bridge comes to my mind immediately, but that’s a different thread.

13 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Ag, and CW Bloody Buron. There they really have an impact.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Hah, that 2011 thread I spotted a forgotten old post of mine where I suggested we don't have many photos of the round because it was so UGLY😁

150mm.jpg

I think it looks okay actually, although a bit complicated to manufacture.  No-one would accuse the Germans at that time of making things complicated 😉.

Anyway, I'm wondering how the thing actually worked.  I assume someone drew the short straw and had to run round the front and put on the HEAT round (almost like a condom if you will).  Someone else meanwhile loaded the special 'cartridge' into the breech, after first removing what was already there.  Not the most streamlined of procedures but I suppose the end justifies the means.  When fired, this special cartridge propelled the HEAT round towards its target, assuming the round has no propellant itself, or does it?

The lack of online info on this suggest it was a bit of rarity, but I like it nevertheless...

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

150mm.jpg

Put two embedded in the chest of a large female Nazi robot machine thingy and ya got something attractive...