Jump to content

New WWII movie on Netflix, "The Liberator"


Recommended Posts

Based on Alex Kershaw's book about his experiences as a company commander from up through the Italian "Boot" (including Anzio), Southern France and into Germany with the 157th regiment.

Was a really good read. The movie looks like it has added an entire dramatization that was absent in the book. The whole "dirty dozen/band of brothers" angle has been manufactured.

Still, if it stays mostly true to the book it should be a compelling visualization.

youtube trailer

 

 

Edited by Gpig
youtube link fixed
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. It basically looks like it was run through a photoshop filter  :D

However, the nice thing about doing it this way is you can easily integrate 3D animation into the BG. For example, Mk IV Panzers and M10 Tank Destroyers etc., are likely 3D models rendered along with the actors.

Oh yeah, thanks for the heads-up. I fixed the link

Edited by Gpig
Link to post
Share on other sites

Art style is mostly a question of how you use it. The Japanese tend to have a better handle on using animation to engage with mature themes, Grave of the Fireflies and This Corner of the World being good examples. Both of which I think would lose quite a bit if they were live-action.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of how rotoscoping looks though because it tends to have an issue with scale. Both literally with backgrounds feeling too large and in that the actors who have been rotoscoped tend to feel out of place to their backgrounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 11:13 PM, danfrodo said:

oh, cool, can't wait.  Also Oct 23 on Netflix there's a movie about Romans in Teutoberg forest that might be good. 

 

SPOILER (romans lost, germans won)

It’ll be a 6 episode series and the trailer looks very good. Spoken in German and Latin, though. That‘ll be interesting.

If I may correct: It‘s Teutoburg, not -berg. But it seems, the actual battle was a little north of it, near Osnabrück. There is a very nicely done museum in a place called Kalkriese, where they (most probably) discovered a part of the battle field some 20 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 7:48 PM, Gpig said:

Based on Alex Kershaw's book about his experiences as a company commander from up through the Italian "Boot" (including Anzio), Southern France and into Germany with the 157th regiment.

Was a really good read. The movie looks like it has added an entire dramatization that was absent in the book. The whole "dirty dozen/band of brothers" angle has been manufactured.

Still, if it stays mostly true to the book it should be a compelling visualization.

youtube trailer

 

 

Looks like the usual Hollywood BS. I will most certainly give this a miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

It’ll be a 6 episode series and the trailer looks very good. Spoken in German and Latin, though. That‘ll be interesting.

If I may correct: It‘s Teutoburg, not -berg. But it seems, the actual battle was a little north of it, near Osnabrück. There is a very nicely done museum in a place called Kalkriese, where they (most probably) discovered a part of the battle field some 20 years ago.

Thanks for that, StieliAlpha.  I didn't know there was a museum there, I gotta visit that someday.  I read Ben Kane's historical fiction trilogy set on the Roman/Germanic frontier, was an enteraining & compelling look at that battle in the first book, Eagles at War. 

Aragorn2002 may be right that the Liberator might be BS.  But I am so starved for military-historical shows I will certainly withhold judgement until I see it.  I would much prefer another Band of Brothers type of series.  And I don't care if it's US, German, Russian, Brit, whatever.  Just make it good and make it look authentic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Thanks for that, StieliAlpha.  I didn't know there was a museum there, I gotta visit that someday.  I read Ben Kane's historical fiction trilogy set on the Roman/Germanic frontier, was an enteraining & compelling look at that battle in the first book, Eagles at War. 

Aragorn2002 may be right that the Liberator might be BS.  But I am so starved for military-historical shows I will certainly withhold judgement until I see it.  I would much prefer another Band of Brothers type of series.  And I don't care if it's US, German, Russian, Brit, whatever.  Just make it good and make it look authentic. 

Ben Kane is great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

nice!  except I'd prefer ground action over air but I'll take it.  And I'd probably take naval over air.  I guess I'll be getting Apple TV for a spell once this comes out.  I did free apple TV trial just see Greyhound, which was pretty good, I had read the book (The Good Shepard by CS Forestor).   I've always thought they should do a series on allied pilots downed in France/Belgium trying to get to Spain or Switzerland w help of resistance.  I've read multiple books on that subject incl excellent The Freedom Line.  Would make a great series.  Lots of heroes, villains, traitors, scheming and betrayal.  Strong female characters in the resistance --straight military shows lack women in consequential roles and thereby reduce potential audience.  that's what I would like.  Lots of material w lots of good drama.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Yeah, I am with you on that Aragorn2002.  did you read his latest, set in middle ages?  I thought it was quite good.

Not yet, danfrodo, but I will pick them up at Amazon for a couple of pounds sooner or later. If you love medieval stories like I do, I can also recommend the Templar series by K.M. Ashman. What a writer!

I have dozens of paperbacks from all those brilliant English writers, that I haven't read yet. At the moment I'm reading the Captain Korolev series by William Ryan, about a police investigator in Stalinistic Moscow. Brilliant stuff. So much to read and so little time, even now in the reign of Corona.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

nice!  except I'd prefer ground action over air but I'll take it. 

Same, and especially naval. I dream of an epic, historical, accurate film about Leyte. Such an important event, with so many facets, drama, mistakes, courage and sacrifice. Would make a fantastic film, done right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

Thanks for that, StieliAlpha.  I didn't know there was a museum there, I gotta visit that someday.  I read Ben Kane's historical fiction trilogy set on the Roman/Germanic frontier, was an enteraining & compelling look at that battle in the first book, Eagles at War. 

The Ben Kane‘s trilogy was good, but the best Varus novel which I read to date is Geraint Jones‘ „Bloodforest“. Though it appears, this is meanwhile a trilogy, too. Nevertheless, the Romans lose. 🤓

In terms of a more serious read, I would recommend the collection of articles accompanying the 2000 Years anniversary, which came out 2009 instead of a catalogue of the three main presentations. 3 volumes of state of the art scientific articles. Pretty difficult reading. I only managed to read what seemed really interesting to me. But if you are into contemporary Roman pottery, you’ll find something, too.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

I Just finished reading "die Schlacht im Teutoburger Wald" from Reinhard Wolters. Good factual book. Wolters ist sceptical about Kalkriese beeing the varus Battle place, btw. Don not know if it was translated into english tough. 

And yes, one should definitely visit the museum in Kalkriese. Was there recently, it is great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, landser said:

Your wish is granted danfrodo.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/no-time-to-die-director-signs-up-for-steven-spielberg-and-tom-hanks-band-of-brothers-follow-up-2778457

Filming is to begin next spring,  if the virus rules don't prevent it I suppose.

 

Cary Fukunaga directed some of the episodes of True Detective Season 1 so I'm hyped!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  Seasons 1 and 3 were xnt.  Season 2, so-so.

The possible problem with an air war version "follow up" to BoB is the air combat part tends to be limited and then to establish characters and relationships it's all back at base or local town where they all drink like horses (natch) and have fights over the love interests.  So, all cliches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...