SF2 - Non combatants?

Just curious.  Not of the games have them.

They change stuff a lot.  I remember non combatants in Ghost Recon who would come charging around corners at you and you really needed to be quickly to see whether they were holding a rifle.

Perhaps for CM it would not matter, since the TACAI picks targets and not you.

Back in CMSF1 days I did a 3rd party scenario that involved a hundred or more civilian 'spies'  rioting outside a UN compound. Then BFC changed the coding on how spies operated in-game and killed the scenario. I don't know if it was coincidental or if they had deliberately targeted the scenario. Anyway, no civilians in the game and they aren't inclined to put them in either.

There was a mission in Task Force Thunder called Dar al Abid as Sul where the briefing made mention of 'civilian presence'. It was handled mechanically by tracking damage done to buildings. I really like this scenario, and played it using as little firepower as possible, and as a result was much more surgical in my approach. A nice change of pace where the indiscriminate and prodigious application of firepower was off the table.

I like using spies as non-combatants.  Below is a link to a scenario that uses spies as non-combatants.  The force to map ratio is low there is still a lot to keep track of and think about.  So may not be a good starter type scenario.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-scenarios/coup-detat

When this thing that @MOS:96B2P has made finally emerges, you will be blown away.....I promise:

3usUxTA.jpg

It's still CM.....But only just!  :D

He's done an excellent job with the pacing too, meaning that while full scale firefights are rare, the player is constantly occupied.....If you play the scenarios while following strict C2 rules it can become rather dramatic too, high speed pursuits and foot-chases through the backstreets really are a thing and they are also hugely good fun (largely because they are just so different from anything you will ever have done in CM before):

reeSAc9.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

If it has low unit density

Very.  IIRC you have about eight patrol cars and two detective teams as your base force.....Oh yeah, plus 'The Rookies';)

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

am thinking this may work well in RT.

Didn't try that, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.....Might get a bit manic at times, when you have several things on the go at once, which you often will, but plenty of pauses should see you through. 

The biggest issue for a RT player would possibly be the mechanic that @MOS:96B2P has used to identify 'Scene of Crime' locations.....It can be kind of hard to spot at times (but I can't think of a way he could have done it better).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

If it has low unit density am thinking this may work well in RT.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Didn't try that, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.....Might get a bit manic at times, when you have several things on the go at once, which you often will, but plenty of pauses should see you through. 

I never tried it in RT since I like to rewind and take screenshots.  But it should work.  I just like re-winding and watching again from a different perspective and taking a screenshot when something cool happens.