Royal Rumble

-------------------------------------------------------------------

53TQtHD.png

mNqMyo8.png

Description : 

Map size : 1568 X 1680m

Length : 1H20 + additional time.

Briefing :

Afghanistan, Helmand Province, a few clicks south of the town of Musa Qala. August 2008, middle of the morning.

With barely any rainfall during the year, it is a desolate sunbaked place with a terrain much more open than the usual green zone present in other parts of the region and also one of the most backward districts of the volatile Helmand province.

But it has a strategic importance because it is located at the intersection of two river bends. A market town and a centre of poppy trade, Musa Qala was wrested from Taliban control in December 2007, after a major operation involving 4,000 British, American and Afghan soldiers. After the defeat, the Taliban have retreated into the mountains or merged back into the local rural population and Musa Qala has remained a hotbed of insurgency ever since.

You are commanding the 1st platoon of A company belonging to the 1st battalion Royal Irish Regiment with an Afghan National Army platoon working alongside us.

We are on the second leg of today's patrol. After walking two kilometres toward the south of Musa Qala, we have reached the former US patrol base, now occupied by the ANA. It is one of the most exposed PB bases surrounding the town of Musa Qala. Located on the south bank of the river, it regularly comes under small arms and rocket attacks.

Our objective is to push the enemy back in order to maintain the security of the base and the area around it. Your task is to enter the village of Dagyan, secure the main road going through it,  then head further south with the goal of thwarting Taliban presence and encroachment reported in the area.

Drones flying overhead earlier this morning showed no sign of insurgent activity in Dagyan proper. Suspicious movements of military aged males has been observed south of the town however and as we reached the PB, a group of men on motorcycles on the high ground to the east was spotted. Finally, thanks to the recent dismantlement of a bomb workshop, we have encountered far less IEDs than usual. Stay alert but it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

FOB Edinburgh 8km to the NE will provide us with artillery support with 3 light 105 field guns.

The ANA commander seems confident we are going to bump into the Taliban at some point if we keep pushing south.

Install :

Make sure your game is patched to version 2.04 and you have the British module, then extract in : documents/battlefront/Shock Force 2/game files/scenarios

or for a Steam install : steam root folder/battlefront/Shock Force 2/game files/scenarios

Download :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ac0frgpqjzur85/afg - royal rumble.rar?dl=0

Zveroboy

Speaking of Jav's has anyone else tested out the spotting anomalies I wrote about a week ago?    For those who hadn't read em, I found that (in CMSF2) a scout team with no binoculars or anything other than eyeballs was able to spot enemy tanks at almost 3Km in under 2 minutes, while an FO or HQ with binocs AND sophisticated optical tech was unable to spot the same tank from the exact same location as the scout (ie: sitting on top of the scout) for over 6 more minutes (when I stopped the test).

So, something wrong with spotting.  Also the C2 system... since the scouts never communicate the spotting info to the HQ or FO that is sitting on top of them.  

On 10/9/2020 at 12:29 PM, Erwin said:

For those who hadn't read em, I found that (in CMSF2) a scout team with no binoculars or anything other than eyeballs was able to spot enemy tanks at almost 3Km in under 2 minutes, while an FO or HQ with binocs AND sophisticated optical tech was unable to spot the same tank from the exact same location as the scout (ie: sitting on top of the scout) for over 6 more minutes (when I stopped the test).

I've had a lot of frustration lately with binocular-equipped teams apparently worse than non-binocular equipped teams at spotting. You know something's there because a regular squad spotted it but you can't can't call in arty because the guys with the radio can't see it from the same spot.

I'm led to believe this is because squads are bigger. More people looking. Maybe only one has spotted it. But you'd think they could point it out to the officer in the same action square.

19 hours ago, John1966 said:

I've had a lot of frustration lately with binocular-equipped teams apparently worse than non-binocular equipped teams at spotting. You know something's there because a regular squad spotted it but you can't can't call in arty because the guys with the radio can't see it from the same spot.

I'm led to believe this is because squads are bigger. More people looking. Maybe only one has spotted it. But you'd think they could point it out to the officer in the same action square.

Am suspecting something is bugged with the spotting aspect of CMSF2 (at least).  Since most CM2 scenarios have relatively short LOS perhaps something goes wrong when one has long (2.5Km+) LOS.  I have tested this several times and scouts with no visual aids spot better than FO's and HQ's with all sorts of high tech aids. 

In the cases I tested, the FO's and HQ's never spotted the enemy armor - at least not after sitting on top of the scout (who had spotted them) for 6 minutes.   (Can't recall if Snipers are also affected like that.)  As you say it's annoying when an FO cannot target with HE.

Javelin teams seem to spot as well as the scouts.  So, in many cases one has to use the Jav teams (or scouts teams if able) as arty spotters.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Am suspecting something is bugged with the spotting aspect of CMSF2 (at least). 

I only play WWII titles so (if it is an issue) then it's not just CMSF2.

Snipers seem to have similar problems. One failed to spot a Tiger that spotted him recently.

But I was thinking about this last night and occurred to me that if the issue is the number of people (eyes) in the team (in which case, why can't they communicate with teams in the same AS? - they manage to do it with those in C2 even if it's just sideways and down rather than up), then that would mean, with spotting being such an important aspect of the game, that splitting your teams isn't quite as clever as I'd always assumed it to be.

One 10-man squad has more chance of spotting a thing that three 3/4-man would.