graphic bug

zodman

Is this a Mac or PC ? If it is a PC, what videocard do you have ? I'm not certain, but the 'white dots' may be an effect of some anti-aliasing settings. You may want to experiment with whatever settings you have in the control panel/utility for your videocard. If 'triple buffering' is available as a setting, enable that (though it may not make a difference to this particular issue). Try disabling any antialiasing/smoothing settings. With Nvidia, you can make a specific set of settings for each program/game.

I have one that is almost ready right now ('Winter of Discontent').....If you can live without tactical maps and with a simplistic briefing, I can have it ready in a couple of days:

rGvcfEE.jpg

zPLY4Bt.jpg

1TE9Q8v.jpg

HAfCDC6.jpg

I'm having a lot of difficulties with 'out of memory errors' when running CM:A on my new Win10 machine.....Most of the bigger stuff I built in Win7 crashes after about a dozen turns on my new machine. 

Saving constantly is the only solution.....When testing I play five turns then save the game and completely exit CM:A, before restarting and reloading.

As you can probably imagine this makes self-testing a bit of a chore (I believe @MOS:96B2P had similar issues when testing this scenario on his Win10 machine).....It's taken over a year to test and tune this scenario, even though it's actually dead simple and built on a lightly tweaked stock map.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Whaaat!   You're saying the more powerful Win 10 machines have more problems running this than Win7?? 

I gave up trying to get any CM2 product to run on my new Win 10 machine - since everything but the hugest CM2 scenarios run fine on my old Win 7 machine.  I only got the Win 10 machine so I could play the 6 or 7 really huge scenarios that are available across all titles - GeorgeMC has made most of those I think.  

Yes, apparently with both CM:SF1 and CM:A.....The latter for sure is not large address aware, so it can only use 2GB of RAM, regardless of what you actually have (this leaves around 30GB idling on my machine). 

The issue may be that Win10 itself shares that 2GB and it takes up more of it than Win7 did, I honestly don't know the deeper mechanics of the thing.....For whatever reason, 'out of memory errors' are at least an order of magnitude more common on my new machine.  Everything still works properly, just not for very long, especially with bigger scenarios or maps.

It's bloody irritating TBH.....You of all people know how fond I am of CM:A.

@IanL  Took a look at things, but sadly there just isn't a workaround for CM:A.....There is one for CM:SF1 however, it's called CM:SF2.  ;)

PS - If you want to test 'Winter of Discontent' ping me a PM and I'll type up the briefing.....Otherwise I'm going to stick to sculpting odd islands, adding endless foliage and writing really bloody fiddly AI scripts for projects in a sunnier climate (and a much more Win10-friendly game engine).

PPS - Have you considered a completely fresh Win10 install, with just Windows' built in anti-virus?  All of the more up to date CM titles run beautifully on my new machine.....I believe the spec is very similar to yours.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have you considered a completely fresh Win10 install, with just Windows' built in anti-virus?

Doing reinstals of OS feels like a nightmare to me.  Still hoping some win 10 update will suddenly solve the issue.  And my old Win 7 machine still runs almost everything very well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 10:28 PM, Erwin said:

You're saying the more powerful Win 10 machines have more problems running this than Win7??

@Erwin  I think I may have found the cause of the issue.....Need to do some tests but, there may be hope for CM:A on Win10 yet (it's just possible that it may be an odd issue with the particular scenario that I was working on rather than the game itself that is the root cause of the 'out of memory errors').

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 5:52 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Erwin  I think I may have found the cause of the issue.....Need to do some tests but, there may be hope for CM:A on Win10 yet (it's just possible that it may be an odd issue with the particular scenario that I was working on rather than the game itself that is the root cause of the 'out of memory errors').

Did you manage to solve it? What was the issue?

• 1 month later...

I thought it might be a bug with the particular scenario (or perhaps map, or even core file) that I was working on.....I'm still messing around with a much larger CM:A project and so far I haven't encountered the same issues in testing. 

Not saying I won't have issues as the project progresses, but so far things have been OK.....Haven't touched it in a while, mostly been doing real world stuff, plus a few bits for Heaven & Earth.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I discovered CMA quite recently and I agree that it's a great game. I am very interested in new scenarios. It is a pity that the game will not be developed anymore. But there is an Afghanistan mod to CMSF2. And after a trivial conversion, all maps and scenarios from CMA work in CMSF2.
By the way, I prepared a mod of Polish soldiers in Afghanistan. Only the votes are missing.

Clipboard05.jpg

Clipboard07.jpg

6 hours ago, Suchy said:

discovered CMA quite recently and I agree that it's a great game. I am very interested in new scenarios. It is a pity that the game will not be developed anymore. But there is an Afghanistan mod to CMSF2. And after a trivial conversion, all maps and scenarios from CMA work in CMSF2.

Not entirely, CM:SF2 doesn't have the unique units from CM:A.

I'd love to see a 1980s-1990s CM:SF2 variant (CM:Fulda Gap?) with an Afghanistan pack as the first module.

Really impressed with those screenies......I only wish CM:A looked that good. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Votes and voices are the same words in Polish language 😉 I mean voices 😉

I used real Polish tropical uniforms.

Sgt.Squarehead -> My CMA looks exactly the same as CMSF2 with Afghanistan mod. You can basically use the same textures in both games. However, soldiers (skeletons) can be transferred from the CMSF1.

930912016df52fcc541a98f2bc32392b_org_830.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard08.jpg

Edited by Suchy

@Erwin, @Ivan Zaitzev  I've done some more work on that CM:A project and, despite it being on a much larger map, with many more units and a much more complex AI script, it's still working!  :o 

No guarantees that it will continue to do so as I add more elements (more scripting), but it's going OK so far (testing has been fairly limited thus far, but I've run one test to twenty turns with no issues whatsoever).