MG Joe‘s Bridge - Victory conditions?

Can somebody explain the victory conditions to me?

I just finished a PBEM game and won a major victory with the Germans. Unfortunately, I don‘t really know why. Especially the terrain conditions are now quite unclear to me.

In a very gamey „last turn rush”, I managed to bring some Fallschirmjäger into the building on the north-west side of the bridge and held it for 3 minutes. However, I received points for “occupying the bridge”, which I certainly not did. It was so full with Shermans, that there hardly would have been room for my guys. Otherwise, the end game report mentioned a “position NE and NW, of which I apparently held the NE. Those positions are not mentioned anywhere in the briefing, but other than my four Jägers in the building, I had nobody within 30m of the victory zone.

The game was designed primarily to be played Allied vs AI. Those two victory locations are for the Allies only.

In the meantime I envy your opponent. When I played it I couldn't get any vehicles across the bridge. I ended up with a Bren Carrier bow pointing through the bridge down to the canal, and it's arse up in the air. A traffic jam behind it which then got shot up by the German reinforcements.

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The game was designed primarily to be played Allied vs AI. Those two victory locations are for the Allies only.

In the meantime I envy your opponent. When I played it I couldn't get any vehicles across the bridge. I ended up with a Bren Carrier bow pointing through the bridge down to the canal, and it's arse up in the air. A traffic jam behind it which then got shot up by the German reinforcements.

Thanks, guys. I had a look at the allied victory conditions and finally understood.

Yesterday, I was a little disappointed, indeed. It did not feel like a major victory at all. At best, I was hoping for a draw due to my smart, gamey last minute rush.

In the end, I found the scenario pretty good. It started frustrating, became boring for quite a while and was extremely exiting in the last 30 minutes or so. After the StuG‘s failed, I pushed the Para‘s forward through the woods, just to somehow reach the bridge. Lot‘s of close quarters, chaotic night fighting. In the fight for the NW position, my guys destroyed 3 Shermans with Panzerfausts from, say 10 or 15m distance.

<-- Scenario designer. Happy to take a look at the save game if you still have.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:44 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Can somebody explain the victory conditions to me?

I just finished a PBEM game and won a major victory with the Germans. Unfortunately, I don‘t really know why. Especially the terrain conditions are now quite unclear to me.

In a very gamey „last turn rush”, I managed to bring some Fallschirmjäger into the building on the north-west side of the bridge and held it for 3 minutes. However, I received points for “occupying the bridge”, which I certainly not did. It was so full with Shermans, that there hardly would have been room for my guys. Otherwise, the end game report mentioned a “position NE and NW, of which I apparently held the NE. Those positions are not mentioned anywhere in the briefing, but other than my four Jägers in the building, I had nobody within 30m of the victory zone.

Victory conditions are in the briefing and the VP allocation is in top image. I think you destroyed enough of the Shermans to get across the line. The Shermans award the most VP on purpose for the German player. The Germans need to focus down the Irish Guard armour to cause problems for a possible further allied advance north of the bridge. We know Market Garden wouldn't be launched until a week later, but at this point but the Germans had no idea and had nothing ready to defend anything north of the position all the way to Eindhoven at this point.

The mission is only semi-historical as the German counterattack depicted happened at dawn the following morning rather than immediately after the storming of the bridge. I've promised myself that I'd go back and tweak this one if BF ever released an update that introduced tank riders to CMBN as the Brits road them as they stormed the bridge itself.

I've also still got the German source material from Ulf I mention in the scenario designer comments section and part of me wants to create a scenario for the Hectel fight just south of this one between the Welsh Guards with their Cromwells (there just aren't enough scenarios with Cromwells :P ) and SS defenders with Jadpanther support. :) But too many projects on as it is plus RL.

2 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Welsh Guards with their Cromwells (there just aren't enough scenarios with Cromwells :P ) and SS defenders with Jadpanther support. :)

Hooray, yes please!

2 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

But too many projects on as it is plus RL.

Boo, pesky RL gets in the way again 😉.

5 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I've also still got the German source material from Ulf I mention in the scenario designer comments section and part of me wants to create a scenario for the Hectel fight just south of this one between the Welsh Guards with their Cromwells (there just aren't enough scenarios with Cromwells :P ) and SS defenders with Jadpanther support. :)

I had a go at making that in CM:BO.....Many many moons ago. 

On 10/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, Ithikial_AU said:

<-- Scenario designer. Happy to take a look at the save game if you still have.

Victory conditions are in the briefing and the VP allocation is in top image. I think you destroyed enough of the Shermans to get across the line. The Shermans award the most VP on purpose for the German player. The Germans need to focus down the Irish Guard armour to cause problems for a possible further allied advance north of the bridge. We know Market Garden wouldn't be launched until a week later, but at this point but the Germans had no idea and had nothing ready to defend anything north of the position all the way to Eindhoven at this point.

The mission is only semi-historical as the German counterattack depicted happened at dawn the following morning rather than immediately after the storming of the bridge. I've promised myself that I'd go back and tweak this one if BF ever released an update that introduced tank riders to CMBN as the Brits road them as they stormed the bridge itself.

I've also still got the German source material from Ulf I mention in the scenario designer comments section and part of me wants to create a scenario for the Hectel fight just south of this one between the Welsh Guards with their Cromwells (there just aren't enough scenarios with Cromwells :P ) and SS defenders with Jadpanther support. :) But too many projects on as it is plus RL.

Hi Ithikial

Please don‘t misunderstand me. My oppo and I did like the scenario quite much in the end. We were indeed somewhat frustrated in the beginning, but the action packed last phase changed our minds drastically. It certainly helped me to read the allied victory conditions to better understand what has happened in the game. Some questions remain however and I would be glad to discuss them with you by mail or PM, to avoid spoilers. I think, I still have the last game file. If you PM me your mail address, I’ll send you a Dropbox invite.

And, yep, if I remember correctly, I destroyed 9 tanks. Something like 7 Shermans and 2 of the light tanks. As I said: The last 30 minutes were pretty full of action. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hi Ithikial

Please don‘t misunderstand me. My oppo and I did like the scenario quite much in the end. We were indeed somewhat frustrated in the beginning, but the action packed last phase changed our minds drastically. It certainly helped me to read the allied victory conditions to better understand what has happened in the game. Some questions remain however and I would be glad to discuss them with you by mail or PM, to avoid spoilers. I think, I still have the last game file. If you PM me your mail address, I’ll send you a Dropbox invite.

And, yep, if I remember correctly, I destroyed 9 tanks. Something like 7 Shermans and 2 of the light tanks. As I said: The last 30 minutes were pretty full of action. 🙂 

It's all cool mate happy for the feedback. Yeah if you knocked out 9 tanks then it's hard for the Allied player to claw their way back. For a minute I there I thought something had gone horribly wrong with the VP allocation. A touch on edge after the CMSF2 Dutch Campaign problem. 

Glad you enjoyed it. It's not a like for like H2H match up so probably not suitable for tournament play but mirror matches would probably be the most equal approach for tackling this one in multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Ithikial_AU said:

It's all cool mate happy for the feedback. Yeah if you knocked out 9 tanks then it's hard for the Allied player to claw their way back. For a minute I there I thought something had gone horribly wrong with the VP allocation. A touch on edge after the CMSF2 Dutch Campaign problem. 

Glad you enjoyed it. It's not a like for like H2H match up so probably not suitable for tournament play but mirror matches would probably be the most equal approach for tackling this one in multiplayer.

Still my confusion remains: In the last turn I had three or four battered paras in the building near the NW end of the bridge. My oppo had two tanks on the N side road towards the forest and if I recall right nothing else in the N end victory zone. Further at least two tanks ON the bridge, plus some infantry and a light tank in the S side victory zone.

I received points for holding the bridge, he did not.