I just read the v4 Scenario Editor

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Ah.  Thanks...  I thought it was referring to the in-game ASSAULT order.  Freaked me out as it's tiresome to reread the manuals and relearn game features every time a new patch comes out.  Phew...

Where are you getting such patches? All I ever manage to get are minor corrections...

Taking CMSF for example there have been 13 years of patches and updates and then a whole new CMSF2 game.  It gets tiresome in the same way that learning anew OS is a PITA.  You're probably young.  Wait till you get over 60 and you'll have a better appreciation.  B)

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Taking CMSF for example there have been 13 years of patches and updates and then a whole new CMSF2 game.  It gets tiresome in the same way that learning anew OS is a PITA.  You're probably young.  Wait till you get over 60 and you'll have a better appreciation.  B)

I have both SF and SF2 and recall not getting any patch for SF in close to a decade. In any event, SF2 plays just like every WWII and modern (BS) titles.

Being not yet 60, in what way do you find the updates to CMx2 bewildering? The core mechanics haven't changed since the release of CMBN. And, every title offers the same mechanics now that CMSF2 has caught up.

Has to be said, there's literally nothing new there.....Here's the same section from the CM:A Manual:

"Max Assault – the opposite of Dash, Max Assault tells the Group to stop and engage with maximum firepower whenever each unit sees an opportunity to do so. This is generally a poor choice for getting a Group to stay on the move if a lot of enemy is expected in the vicinity. It can also be a bad idea if the area being moved over is a poor place to stop for a firefight. The best use is for short moves where there is good cover and enemy activity is expected."

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

17 minutes ago, Erwin said:

There was an update/patch for CMSF2 quite recently IIRC.  

Correct.

The last patch for CMSF was near a decade ago. You mentioned being bewildered that CMSF was always undergoing some change which the release of CMSF2 only further compounded.

I was simply curious as to:

1) where you were getting your patches for CMSF as the only the last one I applied for it was 10 years ago; and

2) what feature (or mechanic) in CMSF2 is causing your distress? The core play mechanics to me seem to be identical to every other CM2 tittle (WWII and Modern).

I'm wondering if I'm to only one who simply refers to weapon/organization chapters in a given manual as the UI/core hasn't changed much since CMBN was released.

I'm only trying to help by first understanding what is causing you to have to continuously relearn the game.

For example, I had no idea that the HUNT order had changed until last week.  Also, since I updated my CMSF2 the platoon HQ's no longer can call for arty or air support even tho' all ANA units can do so. etc. etc.  This is irritating.  As someone else said in another thread.  Some, perhaps mots of us, play games for stress and anxiety reduction, and fun.  We want to start a fun game and have a fun experience without having to deal with new bugs and having to reread manuals to find out what has changed, don't want to be a programmer, or be permanently beta testing a software product.  That's a major reason why many of us dislike Win 10 and while I have a couple of Win 10 machines I still enjoy playing and working on one of my Win 7 machines.  

Edited by Erwin

Apparently people have reported that a unit under HUNT no longer always stops when fired upon.  That may be a good thing.  I dunno.  But, too much emphasis is placed on making small changes to the game that are so subtle that are often hardly noticed when there are large glaring issues that never seem to be addressed.  My hope is that BF will move onto a CM3 that will take advantage of advances in software etc.  

My issue with changes is when scenarios get broken.  (Especially, companies which break the in game tutorial by doing so.)

I have been a beta tester.  Definitely, I would play all betas quite a bit.  But mainly looking for crashes or weird behavior.  I certainly did not replay every scenario, and I certainly didn't rigorously compare scenario behavior of some of my favorites.

In Software Engineering, we call this "regression testing".  It means to go back and retest everything.  But usually this is done with automatic test harness in automated runs generating data.  Also, there are test suites of simple situations which are written just for such testing.

Most game developers have neither the money or resources to do such.  Even those like PDS which can charge $500 USD for a full title.

Another problem with beta testing teams is that the general public; especially new customers play on noob settings.  But your beta team are all your hardcore expert players.  There are no noob setting testing of new releases.

They stop immediately when they spot AFVs.

But light fire that does not really raise the pulse up to 180 bpm, and these soldiers move along.  At 181 bpm, they stop.

So, Erwin, you need to ask what type of leader are you?  Can you maintain a trot with a pulse of 110 with a few guys taking pots shots at you with Reichsmarks in the pot on the hood of the Kubelwagon to see who nails you?

Edited by markshot