Computer Player Intelligence

Hi guys,

I mainly play PBEM versus my buddy and also like to play quick battles against the computer.

However, the computer player never seems to do anything. It doesn't seem to deploy tactically and it makes no attempt to move any units or vehicles. It will call down arty strikes, but that's as aggressive as it gets.  

Units will react as normal when spotting my units and will shoot or retreat, but never anything else.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I've tried playing at various difficulty settings and nothing seems to change.

That doesn't sound right at all.....Are you selecting from the stock QB maps when you set up your battle or are you using custom maps? 

For the AI to control your opponent in a QB it requires an AI plan to built into the map (All stock QB maps have these plans, for both sides).....The behaviour you describe matches what one might expect if one were using a map without AI plans.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:39 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That doesn't sound right at all.....Are you selecting from the stock QB maps when you set up your battle or are you using custom maps? 

For the AI to control your opponent in a QB it requires an AI plan to built into the map (All stock QB maps have these plans, for both sides).....The behaviour you describe matches what one might expect if one were using a map without AI plans.

Thank you Sgt.Squarehead, I think you've pointed out exactly what I'm doing wrong!

I'll have to go through the maps I've created and set up an AI plan. It's a shame the game doesn't have a set AI just like it originally did.

4 minutes ago, stugmeister said:

I'll have to go through the maps I've created and set up an AI plan.

Welcome to the 'Game Within The Game'.....Once you've added those AI plans, you will have done all the hard parts of creating a full-blown scenario.

PS - This ongoing thread might prove intereting:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

No worries.....Nice to meet new members who don't suffer from 'Editor Fear';)

I highly recommend playing a QB or two on a STOCK map that you really like, then open (a copy) of that map in the editor and take a look at the AI scripting.....This will give you a huge insight into how the most experienced guys in the business go about writing AI scripts for QBs.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead