HEADLINE: July 4th, 1944, Hitler Assassinated! Third Reich Surrenders to the West! [HYPOTHETICAL]

Probus

HEADLINE:  Himmler & Goering surrender to the Allies yet Fighting Continues on the Eastern Front

HEADLINE: USSR "Accidently" Shells Allied Occupying Forces in Land Grab

HEADLINE: Churchill Calls for USSR to Cease All Hostilities West of Pre-War Borders

HEADLINE: Sporadic Fighting Breaks Out Between Communist and Western Allies

HEADLINE: FDR Assassinated by "Communist Operatives funded by the USSR"

HEADLINE: Newly "Liberated" German Wehrmacht Free Defense Force (WFDF) Remobilized to Defend Against USSR "Aggression"  in the East

HEADLINE: World War III Imminent as UK and USA Forces Join with WFDF as New Deadline for Cease Fire Approaches

-----

Hi Battlefront and Community o/.

How hard would it bee to add a "Defense of Europe" DLC that would add CMRT TO&E and Maps to CMFB?  I was thinking this would boost sales for CMFB and be relatively easy to do compared to creating a whole new WWIII game.  I would be happy to pay $95.00 $77.00 for both and definitely $35 for just the DLC if I already owned it.

Would anyone else like to see this?  I would even like to try my hand at creating a campaign for it.  Prolly not experienced enough to though.

1 hour ago, Probus said:

How hard would it bee to add a "Defense of Europe" DLC that would add CMRT TO&E and Maps to CMFB?  I was thinking this would boost sales for CMFB and be relatively easy to do compared to creating a whole new WWIII game.  I would be happy to pay $95.00 $77.00 for both and definitely $35 for just the DLC if I already owned it.

Would anyone else like to see this?  I would even like to try my hand at creating a campaign for it.  Prolly not experienced enough to though.

My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something.  Then the US, Commonwealth and Soviets would all be in the same Combat Mission game.   No BFC created scenarios would be needed.  Just an equipment pack of already designed equipment ported over from CMRT.  Scenario designers and mod creators could do all kinds of cold war, neo-colonialism stuff.  Patton goes east 1945, Fulda Gap 1948, Korea, Suez Crisis, etc.    

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something.  Then the US, Commonwealth and Soviets would all be in the same Combat Mission game.   No BFC created scenarios would be needed.  Just an equipment pack of already designed equipment ported over from CMRT.  Scenario designers and mod creators could do all kinds of cold war, neo-colonialism stuff.  Patton goes east 1945, Fulda Gap 1948, Korea, Suez Crisis, etc.    

Been wanting that since FB came out.../sigh.

5 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Dream on, you crazy diamonds! First we need Finland and the Continuation War. Then Barbarossa, then French Indochina, then Korean War, then US in Vietnam, and THEN, and only then, can you guys have your wishes fulfilled! Don’t fight me on this...it’ll only get ugly.☠️☠️

I'm with you on Finland. After that you're just being silly. 😀

39 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Dream on, you crazy diamonds! First we need Finland and the Continuation War. Then Barbarossa, then French Indochina, then Korean War, then US in Vietnam, and THEN, and only then, can you guys have your wishes fulfilled! Don’t fight me on this...it’ll only get ugly.☠️☠️

I was trying to keep it simple for Battlefront so they could knock out the DLC in a weekend. 😄

Finnish forces would be cool though.  They were pretty tough.  You don't happen to know if one of the CM releases has Gurkhas?  I've heard they were badass also.

6 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Which is why it won't happen.

I thought BFC not needing to create scenarios and just treating it as an equipment pack would be a good thing.  Something to encourage them to do it.  Less time, money etc.  Port over the equipment from CMRT, test / fix any bugs created by the port, then sell it.  They could make scenarios to go with it they thought there was some advantage in that.  Just thought it would be easier, quicker to treat it as an equipment pack instead of a module.        

There are lots and lots of interesting ideas. Take a Finnish module (Winter war and Continuation war) with Finnish, Russian, Swedish, British and French forces. Lots of interesting fictional battles could be made. In fact some company recently launched a game about the Winter War, with British and French forces in it.

In his interview Steve said the chances for another fictional modern game are small, but why not turn fictional to the past? Cold War turned hot 1984 would sell well, there are quite a few games around on that subject, although not in the style of CM. Another game that springs to mind is a 1946 war game, Germans fight on, Stalin decides to go for broke etc. Or Operation Sealion or the fighting in Norway in 1940 for example. Korea 1950 would also be great (I was just pulling your leg, MJ, it would indeed be a great subject for a game).

Specific buildings like the Kremlin, the Stalingrad Grain Elevator, the Reichstag and such would also be great. I remember Close Combat and trying to conquer the Kremlin. Such fun to play.

Edited by Aragorn2002

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Operation Sealion or the fighting in Norway in 1940

We have been waiting for the long-promised "early WW2" CM2 for some years.  Sadly, at current development rate, early WW2 seems to still be at least 5 years away.  And (assuming BF doesn't make lucrative military contracts their priority) a CM3 is overdue after 13 years of CM2.  CM1 was obsolete and superceded by CM2 after only 7 years.

30 minutes ago, Erwin said:

We have been waiting for the long-promised "early WW2" CM2 for some years.  Sadly, at current development rate, early WW2 seems to still be at least 5 years away.  And (assuming BF doesn't make lucrative military contracts their priority) a CM3 is overdue after 13 years of CM2.  CM1 was obsolete and superceded by CM2 after only 7 years.

5 Years!  That's ridiculous (not saying its not true, just ridiculous).  There is so much content already there that modders could expand on if given the ability.  Also so much low hanging fruit Battlefront could capitalize (and I mean capitalize) on.

17 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

What in the name of Sweet Fanny Adams does this have to with FB? Nowt!

In the meantime BFC haven't even finished WW2 yet. 

It is so sad that so much time and effort has been wasted wandering off down Fantasy Avenue. Ho hum.

We will just have to agree to disagree @Warts 'n' all.  If Battlefront would take advantage of this type of idea (for instance), it is low hanging fruit that would boost sales of FB and create marketing buzz.  The more money Battlefront has coming in, the more they could hire people to do important overhead tasks and simpler programing tasks (not to mention purchase a company AFV).  This would make it easier for them to finish WWII and put out more content (I'm referring to the people, not the tank).

But, the first person they need to hire is a "VP of Marketing".  In my humble 😇, but correct 😁, opinion. 

Edited by Probus

On 9/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, Bufo said:

How about making only one product? You could load any map or forces if you had that DLC.

Like for example, modern Russia vs WW2 Germany 😄

Like with DCS.

This is exactly what they need to do and quit listening to the snobs who tell them otherwise @Battlefront.com

For example: CMBS is pretty much worthless without additional maps. The game's got nothing. 

Edited by Artkin

On 9/27/2020 at 4:12 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

I thought BFC not needing to create scenarios and just treating it as an equipment pack would be a good thing.  Something to encourage them to do it.  Less time, money etc.  Port over the equipment from CMRT, test / fix any bugs created by the port, then sell it.  They could make scenarios to go with it they thought there was some advantage in that.  Just thought it would be easier, quicker to treat it as an equipment pack instead of a module.        

considdering the current releaserate i kind of wish that BFC would considder doing something like this for all/most of their future products...

Release the modules in two steps...step one...the unit rosters...step two a scenario/campaign pack to acompany the initial release.

What could be the harm in allowing the community in getting the hands on the 'first game' to be able to get cracking with scenariodesigning...

Those people not intrested in a title without playable content could wait for the full release (step 2)...

To a degree they have alredy done it with CMSF2...the main title having been released before many of the campaigns where finished. It seems to have been

working OK ! 😎

On 9/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, Erwin said:

And (assuming BF doesn't make lucrative military contracts their priority) a CM3 is overdue after 13 years of CM2.  CM1 was obsolete and superceded by CM2 after only 7 years.

Unfortunately, the reality could be that we won't see much more from Battlefront................although I am hoping that their new association with Slitherine will provide more resources to see some outstanding projects completed. Time will tell.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, z1812 said:

Unfortunately, the reality could be that we won't see much more from Battlefront................

I'd be happy to take that bet!  They may not move as fast as we'd like, but they do this because they like it and they know their community.  Steve and Charles aren't planning retirement any time soon.