Marines Out of Tank Warfare!

How difficult to kill the 20 Javelin inf teams that can be hidden anywhere over a 2.5Km front vs every MBT? 

One has to remember that economically and logistically one can build about 31 Jav systems for every M1A1.  Then one can transport about 3,500 Jav's for the same weight as a MBT.

I love armor as much as any other armor fan.  But, just as with bows and arrows and horse cavalry, everything gets superseded at some point.  We can debate as to when.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little case study from the Big Igloo: Canadian Armed Forces wanted to replace Leo 1s with mobile gun systems in the 2000s. Leo 1s were losing their relevance, and the LAV family was proving pop

Now MOD might be merely trimming off a few tanks - and looking to provide private security for Quatar footie games to make a few quid on the side https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54126146 Also

Done with a booming voice-over, explosions and mech parts flying through the air... THE TIME IS NOW FOR CM: BATTLETECH.  🙂🙃🙂

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HUSKER2142 said:

I wanted to ask for a long time, I know that in US Army and USMC machineguns are used  disintegrating belt. In Russian army, non-disintegrating. What do you do with a machinegun belt after shooting at range ? 

We would collect up all the brass and links and put them back in the ammo crates they came from. The supply sergeant would then return them to the issuing ordinance unit for disposal. 

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

I love armor as much as any other armor fan.  But, just as with bows and arrows and horse cavalry, everything gets superseded at some point.  We can debate as to when.

Tanks are just the modern incarnation of siege engines. Before petrol, man and horse had to tow protected towers, wheeled fortifications and protected rams. They can also fulfill a cavalry role, by firing on the move.

The Javelin is a superb ATGM, but it cannot accomplish these tasks. Since both sieges and maneuver warfare have proved devastatingly costly, in the last century: their implement is on audit. But if they do occur, people will need the right tool for the job.

The tank will eventually be obsolete, no doubt. Once humanity discovers a fundamentally new form of moving fortifications and large weapons.