Combat Mission Co-Op (Screen Sharing)

Last night, I discovered a new piece of software called Parsec. For those of you familiar with Steam's 'Remote Play' feature, Parsec will be familiar to you. For those of you who do not know, Parsec allows a host to stream their computer to a friend (or friends) in real time, full resolution, and the person being shared with also has full access to controls. As in, you can stream your computer to a friend, and they can use their keyboard and mouse on your computer. All in real time. 

The best part is, not only is this software free, but it works with Combat Mission. I've tested it out today, and it works almost seamlessly. I say almost, because the person I was sharing with did notice some artifacting occurring while the camera is panned around. But otherwise, the experience was seamless. 

In practice this means that, as long as your computer can handle hosting (they list system specs on their website, and it is not overly demanding) you can stream Combat Mission to a friend and play it Co-Op together. 

From what I can tell, Parsec is relatively new and is being actively developed and improved. Consider it to be imperfect, but if anything this just means that one can expect it to get better as time goes on. 

Here is a link to the website where you can create an account and download the app:

https://parsecgaming.com/

Happy Co-Oping!

18 minutes ago, Gkenny said:

I'm assuming it is similar to steam remote play in that both players share the same keyboard and mouse control? Such that you both cannot select units/issue orders simultaneously?

Yup! The host can toggle the controls on and off, and can specifically toggle the mouse and keyboard controls individually. There is apparently an overlay and hotkeys, but I haven't used the program long enough to learn the peripheral functions. 

No, its more of a screen sharing tool than a way to play hotseat virtually. Though there may be some functionality to the app that allows for hotseat that preserves fog of war. I don't know how to do that though. 

To me this is more of a program that allows me to play a singleplayer campaign with a friend, dividing up the forces between the two (or more I think) of us, plotting our orders and then watching things play out. Saves the hassle of having to send save files of orders back and forth. Streamlines the Co-Op process quite a bit, and it can make communication easier because you can literally point out terrain features and the like to the person you're playing with. 

I don't see this as being a replacement to the normal head to head/hotseat modes of versus play, but an added way to play CM cooperatively with a friend(s).