Just a few questions about 155mm, for the US?

Armorgunner

Is both the Excalibur round (Bofors/Raytheon), and the Copperhead round (Martin Marietta) simulated? And if only one, why? For the AT role, Copperhead is still in use. As far as I know? I know that the,155mm Bonus round (Bofors/Nexter). Is being procured, right now by the US Army. As an interim solution. But that wouldt be, to late for CMBS. I assume?

Edited by Armorgunner

Only Excalibur Ia for CMSF2.  Its purpose is limiting collateral damage in dense urban environments and allowing targets to be struck in proximity to friendly forces.  It was not designed to function as a precision antitank weapon.  GPS/Laser-guided version is still in development today.  Best information available was that Copperhead was no longer in use at this time.  First orders for BONUS rounds did not come until end of 2018.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:45 PM, akd said:

Only Excalibur Ia for CMSF2.  Its purpose is limiting collateral damage in dense urban environments and allowing targets to be struck in proximity to friendly forces.  It was not designed to function as a precision antitank weapon.  GPS/Laser-guided version is still in development today.  Best information available was that Copperhead was no longer in use at this time.  First orders for BONUS rounds did not come until end of 2018.

Allright, thanks!

Its been a long time since I tested it out but I believe US precision munitions in the game target the GPS coordinates under the tank. So if the tank shifts locations at an inopportune time the incoming shell will target where the tank was. Russian precision rounds are laser guided. The spotter will track the moving target until the shell hits. I expect to be proven wrong on this, i haven't looked closely at this feature in years  😥

According to an article by Lockheed Martin, M712 Copperhead production ceased in 1990, making the youngest such munition 30 years old, if the weapon is still in inventory, which I highly doubt.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/history/copperhead.html

So far, the only thing I've found that relates at all to replacing Copperhead is the possibility of adding seeker heads to the state-of-the-art GPS-guided shells developed for the USS ZUMWALT's long range, high ROF 155 mm gun system.

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Next-Gen-Naval-Gunfire-Support-The-USAs-AGS-LRLAP-07171/

Regards,

John Kettler

On 9/20/2020 at 3:28 AM, John Kettler said:

According to an article by Lockheed Martin, M712 Copperhead production ceased in 1990, making the youngest such munition 30 years old, if the weapon is still in inventory, which I highly doubt.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/history/copperhead.html

So far, the only thing I've found that relates at all to replacing Copperhead is the possibility of adding seeker heads to the state-of-the-art GPS-guided shells developed for the USS ZUMWALT's long range, high ROF 155 mm gun system.

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Next-Gen-Naval-Gunfire-Support-The-USAs-AGS-LRLAP-07171/

Regards,

John Kettler

I dont know what this means. But from Wikipedia

"Lebanese Armed Forces fired several hundred Copperhead shells at ISIL targets in east Lebanon during the Qalamoun offensive (July–August 2017). At least five technicals, five occupied buildings, and several troop formations were struck with precision. The US replenished 827 shells after the successful completion of the offensive."

And these shells, should have been. At least 27 years old, at the time. In wikipedia, USA stands as a current operator. Might be wrong though?