Spotted enemies needed for air support?

uru38

When calling in air support (rotor or fixed wing) do the aircraft only engage spotted enemies or do they find their own targets? If there are spotted enemies within the designated area do they get priority at all? I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere. I'm always hesitant to call in air support because I'm not totally sure how it works.

Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, uru38 said:

When calling in air support (rotor or fixed wing) do the aircraft only engage spotted enemies or do they find their own targets? If there are spotted enemies within the designated area do they get priority at all? I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere. I'm always hesitant to call in air support because I'm not totally sure how it works.

Thanks in advance

An area target will have the aircraft search the area with its own sensors (which in the case of Syrian aircraft may just be eyeballs).  A point target will be engaged by the aircraft whether or not it sees an enemy at that point.  So, if you suspect tanks in the open on the other side of ridge, use an area target.  If you are targeting infantry in good cover (particularly buildings), use a point target.

The light-medium-heavy thing to me has always been somewhat inscrutable. I personally hate it for modern combat.  Generally aircraft will expend whatever the heaviest ordnance available is first that qualifies for the mission type before moving on to using next heaviest.

Attack helicopters, especially Apaches will definitely find their own preys with an area target even if the enemy is static, not sure about enemy inside buildings but they will spot and murder enemies in treelines and under light cover on the other side of the map that haven't been spotted by anyone else. For jets unless there is something moving in the open that they can spot easily they will often just do a fly over and leave if you do that. Of course it depends on the experience of the aircraft.

For fixed wings I usually use point targets too. But now I wonder whether A-10's might not be better at spotting and finding their own targets because of their slower speed. It should be fairly easy to test with the editor.

As far as ordnance is concerned for helicopters I think it works like this :

• heavy : hellfire missiles
  • medium : hydra unguided rockets
  • light : chain gun

I suspect that heavy means they are less likely to be shot down by Iglas too.

But yes it is easy and quite fun to test, and a good way to toy with the editor if you're not familiar with it. Just create a quick and simple map, add tree cover and buildings and place enemies in them. Then for the other side, add a JTAC and a single air support and try all the different options and see what happens.