AWNT review

Wodin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look no offense but I wouldnt read this review. Nothing wows me. Just seems like the standard run-of-the-mill game review by xyz website that very basically explains the overview of the game. 

This is something that I wouldnt even think about when reading it. To my eyes its practically an empty article. Not being mean, just truthful. 

IMO, the CM series deserves a good review that makes ppl intrigued and want to read more. 

Perhaps more sick ingame screenshots and more focus on how this game is totally unique etc 

With all due respect etc. etc. I would say that that's a slightly harsh assessment of the review.  It's positive and makes some valid points about the game, finance, future development.  It may not be news to people on the forum but that was not its target audience.  While I don't play SF2 (yet) as I'm more into WW2 I would say that any review like this does no harm to BFC and should be commended.  My opinion...

The important thing is there are new eyeballs falling on the product. You don't need a doctoral dissertation on the CM game engine to tell folks 'Hey, have you seen this cool combat game?' Steve mentioned that traffic has gone up on the Battlefront store site after CMSF2 showed up on the Steam store site. 

I'm not sure audience you're targeting with this review. You start as if you're addressing those already invested into the Combat Mission franchise and familiar with Battlefront's past publication practices:

Pigs flying, hell freezing over, Battlefront teaming up with Matrix Games to put Combat Mission on Steam. Which of these things were you least expecting to see in 2020?

One can only hope this decision will lead to new cash flows for Battlefront, and more Combat Mission down the road.

But then you carry on to explain Combat Mission as if to someone completely new to the series, while making a reference to something fairly obscure ... which "War on Terror" are we talking about here - the 15 year old PC game, the 14 year old board game, Labyrinth another 10 year old board game? 

Like every Combat Mission title released after it, Shock Force attempts to model tactical combat down to the level of individual soldiers. The game can be played in two modes, either real-time with pause, or WEGO turns where orders are given and then the action plays out for one minute before you can take control again.

A detailed simulation that allows you to command realistic forces into modern combat scenarios just like those that have played out a thousand times in the War on Terror.

I do agree with this wholeheartedly:

Now, on to one of my favorite gaming moments of the year: Downloading a Combat Mission title directly from Steam, then clicking play and watching the game fire up. No tracking down serial keys, no license activations or limits, just click play and go

Without a doubt the biggest reason to own the game on Steam.

Every time I come back to Combat Mission after a year or two break, it seems my PCs hardware has changed enough to invalidate all of my activations. Can't find serial keys, login to web account, can't remember password, reset password, go to activate, out of activations, submit a ticket for a reset.

Granted, CM series is not for those lacking patience, but hardly something the mass market will accept when it takes a day or two to get a game running.

31 minutes ago, Roter Stern said:

Every time I come back to Combat Mission after a year or two break, it seems my PCs hardware has changed enough to invalidate all of my activations. Can't find serial keys, login to web account, can't remember password, reset password, go to activate, out of activations, submit a ticket for a reset.

Handy tip.....PM @BFCElvis.

It's kind of like the Bat-Signal.  ;)

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Handy tip.....PM BFCElvis.

It's kind of like the Bat-Signal.  ;)

Don't get me wrong - the BFC support has been nothing short of stellar.

I do think however, that there is now an entire generation of people who have never used a serial key to register a product and will find CM licensing rather jarring. Steam is no the be-all and end-all platform of course, but a lot of people are familiar with it.

1 hour ago, Roter Stern said:

Don't get me wrong - the BFC support has been nothing short of stellar.

I do think however, that there is now an entire generation of people who have never used a serial key to register a product and will find CM licensing rather jarring. Steam is no the be-all and end-all platform of course, but a lot of people are familiar with it.

+1!

I started back playing Combat Mission after a 4 years long hiatus. I had to reinstall and reactivate all of my products (CMBN + CW, CMFI + CL, CMSF + all modules and CMRT) on two computers (my laptop and desktop PC). It was a really annoying procedure and I struggled to figure out how to activate all my modules and engine upgrades for CMBN. For CMSF I had to open a ticket. 
Later on both me and my opponent decided to upgrade to CMSF2 and got Steam Key via Slitherine. No hassle with Steam.
I hope they release all products with Slitherine / Steam.

• 3 weeks later...

It's cool.

I wasn't the team member who wrote the review.

I will pass the feedback on. This has been the harshest feedback we've ever had. I do ask my team to try and add their personality to the writing.

I have done a CMx2 review myself which got very good feedback. At the time it was Wargamers review that came in for some negative feedback.

My review https://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2016/04/combat-mission-final-blitzkrieg-review_87.html

I actually don't mind feedback that's negative as long as it's with in reason and has a point. It will help us improve future reviews. Tells us what the reader wants. I've emailed the team linking to this forum post. 

I do hope everyone sticks with us. We are all amateurs. None of us gets paid for this. However we do want to be as good as those professional review websites. I know we have the talent to match if not exceed some professional websites out there.

PS. Joe the reviewer thanks everyone for the feedback. He said he welcomes this kind of feedback as he can take it on board and then work on improving his writing style. (He did say this release was a tricky one to take on with it being an updated previous release and the first to go on Steam).

Edited by Wodin

Bro nobody even bothers reading any of that crap. The MSM gaming media machine has been spewing trash for like a decade now.

If I were to post a review, I would showcase the ability to have multiple battalions fighting at the same time. Shots of company vs company, battalion and so on. Do something different, fun, and ridiculous if you have to. Why do you guys think Men of War (And the following games) sold so well? Not because of the single player or multiplayer. Because you could do anything in the editor, and you could spam units until your pc exploded too.

I'd probably show a video/set of screenshots of a t90 firing at an abrams 3-4000m away  (with a sabot) and having the abrams fire back, exploding the t90 in the cameras face. Stuff like that. Be different.

I in absolutely no way represent the opinions of Battlefront (Obviously)

Edited by Artkin