Help Battlefront Out & Leave A Steam Review

Wow, this is some thread. The tribalism is strong.

I've been playing Combat Mission for 20 years and I probably would NOT recommend it except for very specific players. I praise WEGO, the tactical battlefield, and particularly the spotting, C2 and ballistics. But for me virtually everything else is out of date or substandard, including but not limited to the transaction process (Steam takes care of this), the upgrade method (also good now with Steam I suppose), AI, campaign system, editor, UI, QMB, graphics, and more.

How do I get Steam keys?

Edited by landser
added WEGO, because it's brilliant

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

Holy cow.  And this type of comment is exactly why BFC and its beta teams have such a poor reputation.  Exactly this.  Unfortunately, there was a period of time where any negative comment was virtually set upon by people on this forum.  And it was condoned by BFC though inaction.  Because of that, this forum became its own little insular world.  But the internet has a long memory.  And exposing BFC to the Steam masses gives those previously aggrieved a forum for revisiting past issues without BFC being able to control the narrative.   As soon as BFC made the Steam announcement, I knew what would happen on both sides.  But to see thjis kind of comment and general degradation of people who just don't happen to like the game, BFC, or maybe Steve, sure exposes the worst of this forum.  And this comment is worse than any I have seen on Steam...ever.

It's not really the worst comment I've seen about games (or even wargames) on Steam...

I think that part of the "problem" is Steam's policy on prices. Games get old very quickly on Steam and masses of Steam users expect huge discounts on older games. Some other games by Matrix/Slitherine, for instance, also got similar hate when they were released on Steam. For example, Gary Grigsby's War in the East and War in the West is a good case in point. They had already been in use for a couple of years (especially War in the East) when they came out on Steam, and their prices were quite high (with small discounts) considering their age (and considering Steam's standards)... Games as old as Shock Force 2 usually get 75%-90% discounts on Steam. That's probably the reason for the hate. Steam really is a minefield for such games, but it's something Matrix/Slitherine guys should be aware of...

I think there are a lot more people out there like landser than anyone cares to admit.  Look at the number of people on Steam that said the owned the games, but hadn't played them in years.  For BFC and its "fanbois", its a shock to have the state of the market rubbed in their face.  Reputations don't get built in a vacuum.  

55 minutes ago, com-intern said:

They are unpaid volunteers but I'm describing the view point of people outside these forums. If you have the beta tester tag you are a de-facto representative regardless of whether Battlefront wants you to be or not.

Finally, someone speaks the quiet part out loud.  Have been saying this for years.  It is probably 80% of the reason this forum has a bad rep out in the wild.

1 hour ago, com-intern said:

Yea this sort of post is absolutely ****ing whack.

Pro-tip: If you are going to lead with calling people who dislike the game mentally disturbed maybe you should stop posting here.

------

Like this is embarrassing to anyone who attempts to talk about the game in other venues. How do I go on Steam Discussion or Reddit or whatever and say "well they actually aren't huge snobs" when 3rd post literally calls them mentally unstable?

Especially if your label is
Beta Tester you ought to be presenting yourself better since you are de-facto a representative of the game to many people.

Oh boo-hoo. This kind of moral virtue signalling crap is exactly that, and I stand by my statement. Anyone who has devoted the past 20 years of their lives (and yes, there are some) to trash a game online at every possible chance they get across every possible medium is mentally disturbed.

I also love that you have conflated what I said to be a personal attack against you and anyone else that has ever criticized the game. Guess I just absolutely destroyed myself then! Consider me slayed.

Yea, its more than a little frustrating as someone whose enjoyed the games a lot. I'm spending a fair amount of time in the last few days trying to help people out over on the Steam forums and put a good face on the game. I don't want to have to deal with people talking faster than they can think.

1 minute ago, IICptMillerII said:

Oh boo-hoo. This kind of moral virtue signalling crap is exactly that, and I stand by my statement. Anyone who has devoted the past 20 years of their lives (and yes, there are some) to trash a game online at every possible chance they get across every possible medium is mentally disturbed.

I also love that you have conflated what I said to be a personal attack against you and anyone else that has ever criticized the game. Guess I just absolutely destroyed myself then! Consider me slayed.

lawl - so much for some humility.

@IICptMillerII

I mean really the whole thing is pretty simple - I would think it would be common sense;

1. Don't call people mentally damaged
2. Maybe don't go around complaining about moral virtue signaling after you called people mentally damaged.
3. If you can do neither of those then don't make the post.
3a. If you absolutely cannot help yourself remove the beta tester tag.

Because fundamentally if there are in fact these mental defectives obsessed with Combat Mission your posts will not dissuade them. However, your posts sure as hell paint Battlefront in a bad light.

Just now, com-intern said:

@IICptMillerII

I mean really the whole thing is pretty simple - I would think it would be common sense;

1. Don't call people mentally damaged
2. Maybe don't go around complaining about moral virtue signaling after you called people mentally damaged.
3. If you can do neither of those then don't make the post.
3a. If you absolutely cannot help yourself remove the beta tester tag.

Because fundamentally if there are in fact these mental defectives obsessed with Combat Mission your posts will not dissuade them. However, your posts sure as hell paint Battlefront in a bad light.

Nah I'm good. I'll go right ahead and call a spade a spade, and mental damage mental damage. And I certainly wont be following orders from some rando on the forums. I don't fear the outrage mob, nor will I compromise for it or appease it. 

Well.....While I appreciate the original post's sentiments about wanting to rally troops to post their reviews I don't think it is necessary. Anyone who wants can review or not review their Steam game as they see fit. 

Since then this thread has gone south pretty badly and there really isn't any reason to keep it going. I think everyone has had a chance to freely express their thoughts on the issue.