SPOTTING ISSUES

Erwin

These games have always had weird and sometimes funny spotting issues. There's been a couple of times now when I've had units fail to spot an enemy tank in the middle of the street at close range, but they spot enemy infantry BEHIND the tank. Then my units start shooting at the infantry, only to have their bullets bounce off the enemy tank right in front of them that they still can't see.

I remember another situation where I tried to close assault a buttoned-up T-34 during a night-time scenario. I had an infantry squad run up to the tank in the middle of the street so they are surrounding it. I told the infantry to literally go into the same action square that the enemy tank was in, so they could literally reach out and touch the tank if they could. Some of the infantry would have had to walk around the enemy tank to find a spot to lay down. The infantry proceeded to sit there next to the enemy tank for multiple turns without spotting it. I can't remember how many turns went by. Four, maybe five? In fact, the buttoned-up enemy tank spotted my infantry first! The tank went through that long delay cycle for acquiring targets at extremely close range and then machine-gunned some of my guys laying down right next to the tank. That was a real head-scratcher, that one.

Every time I've seen weird spotting issues come up though is when units are at extremely close range. I've never noticed weird stuff happen at really long ranges, so that's interesting.

1 hour ago, Howler said:

I think he's asking you to share a save game showing the defect you've been exposing on.

Me thinks too. 

@Erwin if what you describe is indeed not a coincidence in a particular situation, but more general I think indeed something isn't right. Haven't checked it myself or have much time to check. But a save from where someone just has to advance turns is a good way to start a case which someone can pickup from.

Edited by Lethaface

Ok, so I redid the test after saving my turn one set-up.  Used one 2-man scout with no binocs.  In addition I prepped one HQ, one FO and one Jav AT team to move to the exact same spot at the scout team BUT put them on PAUSE. 

In the first turn the scout moved to the point where I knew from previous playings that it could spot an enemy tank.  The scout spotted the tank at about 2,800 meters within two turns with only eyeballs.

The HQ was then released and moved to the same spot.  After 5 minutes they had not spotted the tank that the scout had spotted.  In that same period of time the scout spotted a 2nd enemy tank at about 1800 meters.

The FO was then released and moved to the same spot.  After 5 minutes they had not spotted the tank that the scout had spotted.  Also... the HQ still had not spotted the enemy tank after 10 minutes.  There seemed to be no communication between these units.

The AT team was then released and moved to the same spot.  This time they did spot the first and 2nd tanks quickly in the next minutes.  That was different from the first tests I ran.  But, I had also patched CMSF to the latest version since the first tests so that glitch may have been addressed.

Nonetheless, it is an oddity that the FO and HQ still cannot see what the scout team saw in the first 2 minutes, and the scout does not communicate to the HQ or FO.

The set-up game file available.  But, it's easy enuff to simply set up the scenario and do what I did (well... once one knows a good spot to observe the above mentioned tanks).

On 9/14/2020 at 3:17 AM, Uffest said:

There is a problem on the side of the Syrian army, armored units often do not detect NATO armored units, even at close range. Situation - 3 pieces of BMP-3 at positions of different distances, looking in the same direction, could not find the Striker who drove up the hill in line of sight. Stryker took turns destroying 3 BMPs and none of them even after Stryker's shots found him. It was 150 meters from the nearest BMP-3 to Stryker.

A similar situation constantly arises on the side of the Syrian army, you have to blindly give the order to shoot at an empty spot on the map. And the funniest thing is that BMP-3s kill Striker blindly. To be honest this mechanic is very annoying because of which you have to hit the enemy with a similar method.

On the NATO side, I did not test this since NATO forces easily detect any enemy object without any problems, as it seemed to me.

This would be due to superior optics on the NATO side, especially compared to low quality Syrian equipment and training. Try using AAV's vs BMP's, the game is based on 2008 TO&E so they should be similarly matched in terms of optics except the BMP's should have the upper hand, but if the game was based off 2009-2010 the Marine AAV would then have thermal imaging and drastically improved sights.

The main issue is still infantry's improved spotting over armor with optics and infantry with binos vs eyeballs.

10 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Getting your own Dropbox account is very simple...and free 🙂...

And then you simply provide the link to it...

It is free for a limited amount.  And because its cheap/free, one would think BFC would be more than happy to create a central place to upload saves from people actually trying to potentially fix the game.

4 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

...one would think BFC would be more than happy to create a central place to upload saves from people actually trying to potentially fix the game.

Sure. It's not like accepting payloads from anonymous sources can ever be malicious.

I shared your opinion at one time but now see it as not worth the hassle. Maybe they see that way too...

20 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

It is free for a limited amount.  And because its cheap/free, one would think BFC would be more than happy to create a central place to upload saves from people actually trying to potentially fix the game.

Free for several GBs, so 35mb won't make a dent in it. Plus what you suggest isn't even possible afaik, they'd have to indiviually share that folder with every user, who would need to have a dropbox acount anyway to begin wit,  to be able to upload something in it.

So, your suggestion is a bit lame. 

Edited by Lethaface

I was looking for the same topic when I found OP write this.

Seems this topic diverged into the game functionality aspects and real world theories.

To address the game aspect of spotting:

My original issue was the Javelin team being above and beyond the rest of the units in spotting ability and no communication of contact to anyone else. I put a Jav team up front and they immediately noticed a bunch of units at the back of the map. Ok, seems too quick but let's assume it's great optics. The game as designed is supposed to share contacts horizontally with as OP noted someone right next to you, say a FAC or HMG unit. That never happened to me just as OP noted. The system is also supposed to pass info up the chain, and my team had good connection to company HQ and they in turn to platoon leaders. Info never transferred to anyone.

So to second the OP, why are the super human spotting powers not being shared horizontally nor vertically. 

Is there a bug with certain units or with C2 in some cases. Looking forward to more discussions about this, and hopefully from the developers mostly.

14 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Free for several GBs, so 35mb won't make a dent in it. Plus what you suggest isn't even possible afaik, they'd have to indiviually share that folder with every user, who would need to have a dropbox acount anyway to begin wit,  to be able to upload something in it.

So, your suggestion is a bit lame. 

For goodness sakes.  It's very doable.  Instead they have their beta testers and customers do it.  Small companies do this all the time for almost no money.  My 82 year old mother does it for her photo business.  I mean really?  This is the best you got to push back with on the "lame" idea that an actual company that makes money can't figure out how to secure a google drive or a dropbox folder.   BFC must not be very interested in continuous improvement of its product.

I'll come back to this.  My elderly mother does it for a much smaller business than BFC.  And she did it on her own from her iPhone.  Holy cow.  Again, the regulars on this forum wonder why BFC has such a bad rep around the rest of the web. 

8 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

For goodness sakes.  It's very doable.  Instead they have their beta testers and customers do it.  Small companies do this all the time for almost no money.  My 82 year old mother does it for her photo business.  I mean really?  This is the best you got to push back with on the "lame" idea that an actual company that makes money can't figure out how to secure a google drive or a dropbox folder.   BFC must not be very interested in continuous improvement of its product.

I'll come back to this.  My elderly mother does it for a much smaller business than BFC.  And she did it on her own from her iPhone.  Holy cow.  Again, the regulars on this forum wonder why BFC has such a bad rep around the rest of the web. 

Lol, it seems that you have been waking up on the wrong side of the bed for quite some time. I just called your dropbox idea lame because it won't work the way you explained it, while the tone you were giving the advice was such that it was lame on BFC side not to implement your idea. 

Don't know why you are combining this with bad rep of BFC or whatever forum. I'm a regular on this forum, I don't see it as a bad forum or bad rep or whatever. Guess my glass is a bit more half full.

And with all respect, don't see what your family setting up some stuff on their phone has to do with all of this. BFC could probably setup some site where people can upload stuff. However, I don't see the reason for getting all worked up about it if they haven't. Plus your dropbox advice wouldn't even work to begin with.

Chill out, weekend is near! 😉

Edited by Lethaface

• 1 month later...

I did some quick comparative tests and what I am seeing is the usually variability in spotting outcomes, no unexpected superpowers for any one particular unit.  FOs (multiple binos) and Javelin teams (gen II thermal imager) seem noticeably better on average at picking up distant contacts compared to a split off scout team, but that doesn't mean it is impossible for the scout team to ever pick up any particular target first.  Lateral sharing of ? possible contact locations seems to be working as expected, even for units not under same HQ.  One thing I did note, if you are assuming that FOs with laser designators have thermal optics (based on the special equipment icon), this does not appear to be the case.  Seems this is just an optical laser designator.

If you've found a particular circumstance where you get consistent (like many, many repeated iterations) unlikely or impossible spotting outcomes, please provide a save.

Edited by akd

Sure... I can e-mail you the file if you give address. 

I just looked at my test scenario again and can confirm these stats:

TWO MAN SCOUT with only eyeballs (no binoculars), spots Tank #1 at 1,654 meters in 1 minute 24 seconds.  In under two minutes it spots Tank #2 at 2,649 meters.

In the next few minutes it spots Tank #3 at 2,781 meters plus an ATGM team at approx same range.

Run an FO and HQ team to exact same location on top of scouts.  But, only get tentative sound contact and no positive ID after 5 minutes (when I gave up on them).

JAV team spots Tank #1 and the ATGM team while MOVING to same position which is odd since presumably they haven't got their super dooper optics deployed while moving.  Jav team spots Tank #2 a few seconds after arriving on top of scouts (and all the other teams already there).

Conclusion:

TWO MAN SCOUT teams with only eyeballs can spot enemy units at up to 2,781 meters in under two minutes almost as well as Jav teams.  A Jav team can spot as well while moving as when stationary and using their optical gear - which seems "odd".

Other units that are supposed to have binoculars or super dooper optics (the FO) can't spot anything after 5 minutes.  There were no snipers in this scenario so wasn't able to test them. 

Seems impossible for some to manage simple file sharing, even with handholding.  Can Erwin or anyone else confirm that the original scenario described is actually  "NATO TV 98-5 Steelers" not " NATO TV 95-5 Steelers"?  Search for the latter yields nothing across the vast internet.

3 hours ago, akd said:

Seems impossible for some to manage simple file sharing, even with handholding.  Can Erwin or anyone else confirm that the original scenario described is actually  "NATO TV 98-5 Steelers" not " NATO TV 95-5 Steelers"?  Search for the latter yields nothing across the vast internet.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/nato-tv-98-5-steelers/

Its one of mine @akd that is the link to the original version done under CMSF (orginal).

But I think Erwin might have been playing the updated versions I was working on in CMSF2 (which have not been released) and you can find them at this DB link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1eab57wmyvu38zh/AABoJkWKgVZ8nvJjaSnIOfkRa?dl=0

I'm not sure the spotting issue would matter as both versions use the same base forces. The changes I made were mainly AI plan and map stuff to take advantage of new features in both these aspects in CMSF2.

Edited by George MC