To our friends from the UK and the Commonwealth

10 hours ago, Artkin said:

This guy is a nobody. Sounds like a straight up politician.

That speech had 0 value

Haha pretty interesting take on a non offensive speech. Lol. I am curious though why the hostility?

I for one am a veteran, but am not one for mushy speeches but to get bent out of shape about it (unless you are standing in formation while someone drones on about blah blah blah) I just don’t get. I personally feel that the US and the U.K. are the closest of allies and very similar culturally. I know lots of Brits and it’s never awkward talking to them due to cultural reasons. Only their goofy accents lol. 

Kidding, I’m just having a laugh (see that was for my British friends). I think everyone loves the British accent that’s why Brits narrate every documentary on earth.

4 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Funny CptMiller, I was just thinking “ No good sentiment goes unpunished!”

Just a cultural difference between nations, I wouldn't take offence. You meant well.

I spent time being educated at an American High school and while I had a great time it was a real eye opener on how different the American patriotism level is compared to the UK. For example standing up every morning being "brainwashed"(btw me being cheeky) going ra ra for the flag was very alien was just part of how kids are indoctrinated. I can see the reasons for it as America has to meld different folks into citizens. 

The love from America towards the UK is not really reciprocated and our desire for recognition is very different to the American approach. The UK military is deeply grounded and having an American actor say how great they are will be deemed a be a bit annoying. 

12 minutes ago, Holien said:

how different the American patriotism level is compared to the UK. For example standing up every morning being "brainwashed"(btw me being cheeky) going ra ra for the flag was very alien was just part of how kids are indoctrinated. I can see the reasons for it as America has to meld different folks into citizens. 

I think this may be an age thing and shows how things have changed in the uk over the past 60 years.  When I was a school in the UK it was very patriotic and we proudly called it Great Britain.  Probably the change occurs when more and more people do not share the original values of the country that they now live in.

In the 80s at my my secondary comprehensive it wasn't overly patriotic - sung hymns at assembly and had readings i.e Scott of the Antarctic.

At air cadets a bit more respectful for the order of things - as needed to understand what a salute represented in the chain of things andr orders and obeying them.

All against a background of The Goodies and OTT Tim Broook-Taylor - early antidote to rise of contemorory popular nationalism. i.e Farage.

eb733884450832194f86335e8c0117af.jpg?v=9

So personally patriotic as weak tea, and from a sampling of Facebook friends it seems flag waving nationlism is mainly confined to folk who have served or have family that have served, next stage down and quite popular is stability from Queen and royal family as Queenies been around for living memory despite the shenanigans around her.

Schools nowadays have on syllabus 'British values' taught quite liberally. Still not quite the same as mindless flag worship.

Edited by Wicky

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

I think this may be an age thing and shows how things have changed in the uk over the past 60 years.  When I was a school in the UK it was very patriotic and we proudly called it Great Britain.  Probably the change occurs when more and more people do not share the original values of the country that they now live in.

In the "uk". When you were "a school". Ah, that sums up life in Murdoch's Dictatorship of the Semi-Literate.

Well, this was back in the 60's when (as a child of refugee/immigrants) I won a scholarship to a pretty fine school.  Otherwise I'd be working in a uk factory.  I return frequently to London, but find it quite depressing.  Like most of Europe, it's all a bit 2nd world-like nowadays.  I spent some time in Argentina, and it's hard to tell the difference between Buenos Aires and European cities.  Anyhow - totally OT.

Edited by Erwin

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Well, this was back in the 60's when (as a child of refugee/immigrants) I won a scholarship to a pretty fine school.  Otherwise I'd be working in a uk factory.  I return frequently to London, but find it quite depressing.  Like most of Europe, it's all a bit 2nd world-like nowadays.  I spent some time in Argentina, and it's hard to tell the difference between Buenos Aires and European cities.  Anyhow - totally OT.

Anyone who actually had to "win" a scholarship deserves respect. About the only thing I ever won in the '60's was "Pass the parcel".

Edited by Warts 'n' all

On 8/31/2020 at 4:50 PM, Erwin said:

London is not particularly representative of the rest of the UK.  Many of the smaller cities offer a quality of life that Londoners can only dream about.  Example: Edinburgh
146.jpgedinburgh?size=md

Edited by Jock Tamson

UK seems like a terrible place to me.  It's like The Purge with all the murders!  Even the little college town of Oxford has huge murder rate.  I know this because I've been watching a documentary series on it called "Endeavor".  Oh, not to mention all the killings in Hastings area in another totally true not made up series called "Foyle's War".  Sounds dreadfully dangerous.

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

UK seems like a terrible place to me.  It's like The Purge with all the murders!  Even the little college town of Oxford has huge murder rate.  I know this because I've been watching a documentary series on it called "Endeavor".  Oh, not to mention all the killings in Hastings area in another totally true not made up series called "Foyle's War".  Sounds dreadfully dangerous.

I don't wish to quibble, but "Endeavour" cannot be taken seriously, they called Double Diamond a lager in one episode. Pass the sick bag, Elizabeth.

5 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

London is not particularly representative of the rest of the UK.  Many of the smaller cities offer a quality of life that Londoners can only dream about.  Example: Edinburgh
146.jpgedinburgh?size=md

Been to Edinburgh for a Fringe Festival and yes, very much enjoyed that lovely city.  Weather was good!  Shame about the weather the rest of the time.

Visited friends in Norfolk as well and found that life outside London esp rural areas is much nicer, and people are nicer as well.  (Same in US: city vs rural.)  

15 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I strongly recommend you never go to Sandford, in Cheshire. It's attractive enough, in a cliché olde worlde way, but the crime level there is simply appalling.

Edited by JonS

3 hours ago, JonS said:

I strongly recommend you never go to Sandford, in Cheshire. It's attractive enough, in a cliché olde worlde way, but the crime level there is simply appalling.

Nightlife there looks really rough (see below at the 11:15 mark). Glasgow has a completely undeserved reputation, compared with this place.