Operation Goodwood?

I don't think that anyone has ever put together a "Goodwood" campaign. But, the stand alone scenario "Colossal Crack" is based on 11th Armoured Division's attack on Bourgebus Ridge. It is a brilliant piece of work that throws up interesting challenges whether you play it is the Allies or the Germans. Particularly as the different sides have different victory locations to take or hold.

From what I can remember there is only one youtube video of this battle, and that is from the Allied side and was made by our colonial friend Ithikial almost exactly six years ago. If there is one from the German side then I've never seen it.

How about that - I was just going to post the same question. Saw a documentary about Goodwood with interviews with some of the unit commanders and thought that the operation would be interesting to make scenarios for, including large scale tank action. Colossal Crack is a lot of fun, but more could for sure be made. In time maybe...

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I don't think that anyone has ever put together a "Goodwood" campaign. But, the stand alone scenario "Colossal Crack" is based on 11th Armoured Division's attack on Bourgebus Ridge. It is a brilliant piece of work that throws up interesting challenges whether you play it is the Allies or the Germans. Particularly as the different sides have different victory locations to take or hold.

From what I can remember there is only one youtube video of this battle, and that is from the Allied side and was made by our colonial friend Ithikial almost exactly six years ago. If there is one from the German side then I've never seen it.

I am playing the modified version that someone made.  Called RDM-colossal crack.  Randomized version.  Gotta grab two little towns then the giant tank fight begins.  great example of the frontal armor and optics of panthers vs my poor shermans.  I am brits.  What a fight!  I am currently trying to use smoke to isolate and take on panthers in small packets.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

No, it is from the earlier Operation Epsom, which took place further to the west.

Believe it or not, I have come on here at precisely midnight just to reply to my own comment with, "I'm talking cobblers, it's Epsom."

But you beat me to it. ;)

I'm sure naming operations after race courses seemed a good idea at the time.

I'm sure there must have been Operations Chepstow and Uttoxeter but I can't be arsed to check. 🥴

Edited by John1966

33 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've always assumed that it was named after the city in Ontario, rather than the racecourse. Where's @Ithikial_AUwhen we need him?

I've never been to Canada and nothing ever came up in my research about where they got the name from. Probably some staff officer who named it after his home town?

26 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I've never been to Canada and nothing ever came up in my research about where they got the name from. Probably some staff officer who named it after his home town?

I didn't think you'd been there, but I thought you'd be the person to ask given your "Lions" campaign. I did a bit more digging, and there had been an operation called Ottawa postponed earlier. So probably a staff officer from the state of Ontario sticking pins in a map

12 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I didn't think you'd been there, but I thought you'd be the person to ask given your "Lions" campaign. I did a bit more digging, and there had been an operation called Ottawa postponed earlier. So probably a staff officer from the state of Ontario sticking pins in a map

My research at the time, plus other historians suggests the organisation of Operation Windsor was done pretty much at the brigade level rather than the at the Division level. Rod Keller, the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division commander at the time was too busy planning Operation Charnwood with the Second Army, and effectively delegated Windsor to his 8th Brigade under Col Blackader. (Not that Blackadder). ;) Windsor as a replacement to the aborted Operation Ottawa still went ahead to both keep up the pressure on the Caen sector of the front following the end of Operation Epsom, but also the capture of the airfield and German strong point would mean Caen itself would be directly threatened from the west for Operation Charnwood and force the 12th SS Panzer into a more precarious position. Anyone who's played my campaign will see the great prepared defensive position the Germans had in this part of the line.

3rd Division HQ certainly didn't hamstrung 8th Brigade and effectively said yes to every request Col Blackader made in the days leading up to the assault. This included receiving an additional battalion of infantry (from 7th Brigade) for the assault on the south side of the airfield and the copious amounts of artillery support from across Second Army. It's limited success was, I think, was more to do with the non-inventive plan from the Canadians and the fact there was no other major action across the entire Caen front, which made it quite easy for the Germans to concentrate and respond. The Germans did have abandon the south side of the airfield at the start of Operation Charnwood and the Canadians didn't use Carpiquet for it's start line for the assault on Caen a few days later. Instead they went in via a route north of the airfield.

Short version: British probably didn't have much influence or say on the name of the operation. :D

The original 1944 Operation Windsor organisational paperwork: http://canadianmilitaryhistory.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/op-windsor1.pdf

Edited by Ithikial_AU