How to get your CMSF2 game on Steam

Important: The key that is used to get you Steam key is your CMSF2 key. 

This was just posted on the Matrix forum. Here is how you'll be able to get your Steam access for CMSF2 if you've purchased the game through Battlefront:

Hi guys,

We’re very pleased to be working with Battlefront and know many of you are eagerly anticipating the release of Combat Mission. We wanted to give you some details on how things will work and both teams will do their best to make this process as painless as possible for you all to get your games working on Steam. 

·        Steam keys will be available to anybody who purchased the game, no matter where they purchased. All users will get steam keys by creating an account with Matrix/Slitherine to redeem a steam key. The reason for this is Matrix already have a process to distribute the keys and Battlefront didn’t and it would have been a lot of work for them to create such as system so it felt simpler to use a system that already works. Sorry for the inconvenience of anyone who needs to create an account because of this. 
·        Once you have an account you can redeem Steam keys in the normal way by following these instructions - https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585
·        Note that if you bought a bundle from Battlefront you will only have one serial for all the games in the bundle. To redeem all the pieces of your bundle as Steam keys you will need to register that serial for each part of the bundle. E.g. if you purchased the base game and British Forces bundle you would register that serial twice, once to the base game and once to the DLC. Each will generate a unique Steam key for that piece of content on Steam and must be redeemed on Steam separately. 
·        When purchasing a bundle on Matrix/Slitherine you will receive a serial for each part separately. 
·        The versions on Matrix, Battlefront and Steam are identical apart from some minor changes to make the game compatible with Steam. Steam requires all the game content to be in the install folder so the placement of some files will be different to the Battlefront version but this is all behind the scenes and the features are identical. Multiplayer is possible between versions. 
·        Customers who buy from Matrix/Slitherine will have access to the Matrix installer and a Steam key. Customers who buy from Battlefront will have access to the Battlefront version and Steam key. Matrix/Slitherine customers will not have access to the Battlefront version and vice versa. 
·        Any Steam key redemption issues should be reported to the Matrix forum, as Battlefront are not able to help with that. 
·        Other tech support should be requested at your point of purchase but both companies will try and help out anyone who has an issue if they can. Obviously any order issues can only be investigated by the site you purchased from as neither company has access to that kind of info for the other. 
·        If you have any questions or problems please let us know and we will do our best to help. 

• BFCElvis pinned and featured this topic

Hi there John,

I just registered the CMSF1 -> 2 Upgrade bundle as @SgtHatred did. But I only see an entry for the base game, not for the modules. The old CMSF1 keys do not work - my understanding is that those became invalid after getting the bundle. Could you guys check that the bundle keys are correctly pulling along the modules too? I was expecting that specific entries would appear for the NATO, Marines, etc. modules as the Slitherine standard procedure is that you activate on steam separatedly each piece of game.

See link to screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/cuKapT4.jpg

Thanks again for making this possible!

PS: It would be great to have the ability to link directly images, for some reason it is not working for me?

Edited by BletchleyGeek

20 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Hi there John,

I just registered the CMSF1 -> 2 Upgrade bundle as @SgtHatred did. But I only see an entry for the base game, not for the modules. The old CMSF1 keys do not work - my understanding is that those became invalid after getting the bundle. Could you guys check that the bundle keys are correctly pulling along the modules too? I was expecting that specific entries would appear for the NATO, Marines, etc. modules as the Slitherine standard procedure is that you activate on steam separatedly each piece of game.

See link to screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/cuKapT4.jpg

Thanks again for making this possible!

PS: It would be great to have the ability to link directly images, for some reason it is not working for me?

You've gotta use your bundle key separately for each of the modules. Same key, different products.

51 minutes ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

Why should I use Steam version, when I never deleted any original CM since I installed it on my PC or notebook?

Inherently, not a lot.

Steam would keep the game version up to date with patches, and (I'm guessing) will replace Battlefront's DRM with one that's a little more forgiving for changing hardware, etc. It also allows you to launch the game with Steam, which may well be where you have other games.

Short answer is "why not?" at this point, since it doesn't cost you, but in a lot of ways this step isn't really meant for you - it's something which (hopefully) increases visibility and the player base.

I'm registering all my keys when this becomes available. I'm less clear if I'm going to install them through Steam. Quite possibly.

3 hours ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

Why should I use Steam version, when I never deleted any original CM since I installed it on my PC or notebook?

One reason would be that adding it to your Steam library - you don't even need to install it - would allow you to a) review it on the Steam product store page  b) post screenshots or videos to the Combat Mission Steam Community pages.  If you were so inclined.

Edited by Jock Tamson

1 hour ago, ZeroAstray said:

Hi, I purchased CMSF2+NATO bundle. And when I try to register my game at slitherine, the base game registed fine, but my NATO bundle registration was rejected, saying I'm using a invalid key. What should I do to correctly receive my dlc? Thank you.

Any problems with a key you should first open a ticket with the Help Desk. Make sure to include the naughty key so that is can be checked. If the issue is on our part we can take care of it pretty quickly for you. I would be very surprised if there any any module key issues though. My fear is that some manually created keys may have slipped through for people that Upgraded the Paradox version for instance.

Regardless......We had Plan B already in place for anyone that runs into an issue.

Maybe i missed something, i did register my base game + all 3 upgrade keys with slitherine, all that worked flawless. But on the "My Page" site it say "Steam Key: Not Available" ? Is there a problem or will they become available when the game does release on steam and not earlier?

Edited by Pandur

On 8/20/2020 at 8:57 PM, Combatintman said:

So Steam isn't the easy to use no drama experience that everybody who campaigned long and hard for it said it was after all 😉 ...

This is called observational humour by the way, so no need to kick off.

To be fair none of these issues are to do with Steam, they are all about registering existing Battlefront keys on Slitherine,

Edited by Jock Tamson

I understand the ease of use most see Steam providing.

For myself, I don't see the value in switching over and hope the current release/patch distribution remains available in the future.

Again, while I don't have a problem downloading and running installs - I can see how it would seem to be a needless annoyance in 2020.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Also re privacy issues, for those who still use our systems for confidential info, one doesn't want to have software like STEAM looking through a HD and sending info back to who knows where and for what purpose.  

Steam doesn't "look through your HD", but yes if you have highly confidential data on a PC the only way to be sure of its safety is to not install anything on the PC and don't do any web browsing on it.