Happy 20th Birthday to Combat Mission Beyond Overlord ---Really???

1 hour ago, PIATpunk said:

How about taking it offline.

No, thank you.

So far, putting it online has gotten BFC re-engaged as opposed to updating the ticket and waiting weeks without a response.  I have not been rude, and everything presented here is factual.  I am sure if that was not the case, the thread would have been locked and deleted.  I don't want a thread, but a working CMFI (along with the items I purchased).  When I have such, I will remove this thread and close the ticket.

8 hours ago, PIATpunk said:

you cant remove the thread.

Then let's hope it ends with a glowing summary of all that BFC has done to make me feel that I am a CMBO lifer who is very valued.

BTW, my comments on contract law.  I have only taken law classes as a hobby.  I am a software engineer by trade.  I was CTO of an Internet startup which was sued for fraud in California around 2000.  The issue was that we (II) had defrauded our associates by not paying them revenues as per our published policy.  While it was true that we failed to make fair payments, it was due to incompetence and not fraud.  II ultimately won the case.  We were also forced to file for bankruptcy being unable to close a sale to AOL due to the pending case.  You and I are not the only customers.  Sometimes, lawyers will file a case not because of the ROI, but for whatever reason they have.  As a business, it has always been my policy to avoid potential suits and/or make sure that they would be dismissed by a judge by failure to meet procedural aspects of common, state, or federal law.  Owning a game company is much more than just writing code.

"John,

I suggest you find out everything you can about:

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\_gs5sys (hidden, system file)

Why?

Because a process manager (Microsoft System Internals Tool - from the Windows Team) shows that CMFI is burning up CPU not communicating with the display console but trying to interact with this file.  From my systems background, I would say you are looking a key choke point in your whole DRM handling right here.

Maybe if you find out more about it (or the CMFI programmers), you will be able to determine why the DRM will not activate."

Just posted to ticket.  This is what BFC can expect from a CMBO lifer.  (and now I wait)

Edited by markshot

CONCLUSION

BFC has done right by me, I consider that I bought in to an excellent franchise and company with CMBO.  I now appreciate that the the passage of time is relative between someone who is retired and overloaded "indie" developers.  Thanks for making the time for me.  John, please lock this thread for me.

11 minutes ago, markshot said:

CONCLUSION

BFC has done right by me, I consider that I bought in to an excellent franchise and company with CMBO.  I now appreciate that the the passage of time is relative between someone who is retired and overloaded "indie" developers.  Thanks for making the time for me.  John, please lock this thread for me.

Did you finally get it to work? Or did you get a refund?

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer not to elaborate on what arrangements BFC made as doing so establishes a precedent, and the relationship between BFC and its customers should be flexible based on circumstances.

But I came back to say that BFC did more than make me whole when CMFI v2.11 would not install despite all different software utilities.  As I just upgraded to Windows Build 2004 today from Build 1903, they agreed to go out of their way to see if that might have been the underlying problem and it was.  I am very happy to say that I have CMFI v2.11 working.  (Since I like the WWII titles.)  I think we mutually arrived at fair value.  But I wanted to say that there is nothing more John could have done to make me pleased with the support I received (even if I was impatient).

Thank you, John.  Thank you, BFC.

Edited by markshot

9 hours ago, John Kettler said:

markshot,

That's fantastic news! Glad it all worked out, even if the process of getting there was decidedly suboptimal.

Regards,

John Kettler

John, good to see another old timer from the CMBO Mad Matt mod pack days!

BFC is a small company.

The largest company I ever worked for had 80,000 US employees.  The smallest I worked for that I did not own was about 80 employees.

Small companies especially when we are talking under 10 are entirely different animals from the corporate jobs many of us know.  In one day, you can be writing code, doing UI/game design, research, reviewing contracts, coming up with a marketing plan, looking at health insurance plans, retirement funds, interviewing for another coder, technical support, and community relations.  In the corporate world, each of these are separate job titles and/or departments.

With just a small group of guys and gals, everyone works where the rubber meets the road.

I did not mean this thread to be aggressive or hostile, I just wanted not to fall off the bottom of BFC's "to do list".  In fact, I did not, and a company with a dedicated Customer Support Department would have done no better (maybe just faster).