HMS Victory

Impressive:  "The ship consists of a total of 3,000 parts, most of which Byard carved and shaped himself. He even cut every single plank to the right size by hand. Byard estimates that he worked on the model for at least 600 hours."

Hope he gets it displayed in Greenwich.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:13 PM, Erwin said:

Impressive:  "The ship consists of a total of 3,000 parts, most of which Byard carved and shaped himself. He even cut every single plank to the right size by hand. Byard estimates that he worked on the model for at least 600 hours."

Hope he gets it displayed in Greenwich.

One hour per month?

18 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

One hour per month?

No, he shelved it half-built for 40 years or so.

I find the 600h quite little, indeed. During my University time, I built a 1/100 cross section of the Victory from pre-fabricated wooden parts. Just the main mast and a few meters fore and aft. It took me 2 1/2 years at, say, 5h a week.

But then, I don‘t see masts and rigging in this guy‘s model.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:49 PM, Combatintman said:

Still a warship in the Royal Navy - my late father served on it in the 1950's according to his service record.  I also had the honour and pleasure of having a tour of it when I went to HMS Nelson and Dolphin during a course many years ago.

Lucky you. I was in Portsmouth once to see the Victory. But the queue was long and the weather terrible. So I gave up and said „I‘ll come back next year.“ Which, of course, never happened.

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Lucky you. I was in Portsmouth once to see the Victory. But the queue was long and the weather terrible. So I gave up and said „I‘ll come back next year.“ Which, of course, never happened.

The joys of being in the forces - I was on a course at the time which required us to have a close look at dockyards and ships so we were staying at HMS Nelson.  After seeing HMS Victory we went across to the Submarine Museum at HMS Dolphin, I had free beer for lunch at someone's promotion drinks in the HMS Dolphin Senior Rates' Mess next door to the Submarine Museum and had a tour of one of the 'Harrier Carriers', I think it was HMS Invincible but can't remember.  A cracking couple of days in Her Majesty's service.

33 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

The joys of being in the forces - I was on a course at the time which required us to have a close look at dockyards and ships so we were staying at HMS Nelson.  After seeing HMS Victory we went across to the Submarine Museum at HMS Dolphin, I had free beer for lunch at someone's promotion drinks in the HMS Dolphin Senior Rates' Mess next door to the Submarine Museum and had a tour of one of the 'Harrier Carriers', I think it was HMS Invincible but can't remember.  A cracking couple of days in Her Majesty's service.

Hm, my time in our forces was less exciting. In the Air Force and operating a radar station. Though we saw some real (British) troops each year during the fall exercises.

• 3 weeks later...