CMBN weapons effect tests 2020

23 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

This was perhaps the most unexpected result for me. It looks like something is wrong with this gun. At least it doesn't matter much because this weapon is rare.

I don't have any real-world testing data and the answer would depend on the setup of the real-world test. I imagine that it most cases it involves someone shooting from a known distance at a target of a given size. At the end the hits of the target are counted. The problem with recreating this setup is that I can't define a target of some fixed size in the game and then count hits. Troops take cover and stand up again. Jeeps are too big. So I don't think it would be possible to do such a cross reference - there would always be doubt that the in-game test does not accurately represents the real-world test.

Yeah, you are probably right.

I read a little further yesterday. Especially an article of one guy, testing different ammo charges for his K98. He set up a very controlled environment, with the rifle supported on a sandbag and fixed, to ensure repeatable tests. He measured the deviation between hits and was talking about cm‘s distance between shots on 100m and 300m ranges, etc. That‘s certainly far beyond anything that CM can provide.

By reading the article, another question popped up: Do you know from your testing, if any wind effects have been considered in the CM model?

Edited by StieliAlpha

8 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yeah, you are probably right.

I read a little further yesterday. Especially an article of one guy, testing different ammo charges for his K98. He set up a very controlled environment, with the rifle supported on a sandbag and fixed, to ensure repeatable tests. He measured the deviation between hits and was talking about cm‘s distance between shots on 100m and 300m ranges, etc. That‘s certainly far beyond anything that CM can provide.

By reading the article, another question popped up: Do you know from your testing, if any wind effects have been considered in the CM model?

Yes, I'm testing not just the weapon like that guy, but the whole man + weapon "system", which is an abstraction of the game - all pixel soldiers with certain experience are mostly likely equal in CM, but, for example, how do I decide on the experience of the person who aims and shoots the gun in a real-world test?

About wind, interesting point but I don't know. All tests were run with no wind. In addition, the sample size was still too small to capture subtle differences of a few % that I would expect from wind.

• 6 months later...