Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

1 minute ago, Probus said:

I updated to the using Steam and it doesn't see my latest ongoing PBEM game.  I half expected this.  Do I need to revert to the non-steam version or am I missing something?

The Steam version goes into the Steam downloads folder. You have to redirect your PBEM games there.

Essentially the game doesn't actually track your PBEM games and it was always reliant on you putting them in the right place. Steam changes the location so you will need to update any PBEM helper programs to use that new location.

Edited by com-intern
e

27 minutes ago, com-intern said:

The Steam version goes into the Steam downloads folder. You have to redirect your PBEM games there.

Essentially the game doesn't actually track your PBEM games and it was always reliant on you putting them in the right place. Steam changes the location so you will need to update any PBEM helper programs to use that new location.

Bingo.  That did the trick.  Thanks again @com-intern!

Longtime Steam promoters on this site seemed to have imagined some sort of gaming nirvana if Steam got involved. But it turns out that CMSF2 being sold on Steam is the same old CMSF2 we all know and love. Meet the new boss same as the old boss (Which as lyric quote from The Who, not Nirvana)

I for one welcome the potential influx of new forum members. This forum could do with some fresh blood, otherwise it runs the risk of getting stale. And frankly I find the cliquish attitude a bit sad. Yeah some are going to complain about things, so what? New players also mean new interesting tactical or historical discussions, potentially new contributions in the form of modders or new scenario designers.

16 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Longtime Steam promoters on this site seemed to have imagined some sort of gaming nirvana if Steam got involved. But it turns out that CMSF2 being sold on Steam is the same old CMSF2 we all know and love. Meet the new boss same as the old boss (Which as lyric quote from The Who, not Nirvana)

I think the argument was - there is a market for niche wargames among the 95 million Steam users, the games will sell, and the revenue could be used to prevent the usual dichotomy of additional content versus additional features.

1 hour ago, Jock Tamson said:

I think the argument was - there is a market for niche wargames among the 95 million Steam users, the games will sell, and the revenue could be used to prevent the usual dichotomy of additional content versus additional features.

Yeah, I don't know where this weird strawman that appearing on Steam would make the game any different comes from (although pushing the buttons to make Workshop integration happen wouldn't be unwelcome!).

Dumb question:  Other than BFC getting lots more love & money, what advantages do y'all see from Steam?  I get that purchasing is easier.  what else do you see that makes this good for existing BFC customers?  -- honest question, I really don't know the answer but given the excitement I am obviously missing something.

I used to use steam to play Assault Squad and COH, and I really didn't like how much Steam took over my computer, causing delays on startup.  Fortunately I found BFC and can no longer imagine why I played those very silly games.  My current plan is to continue to purchase outside of Steam.

34 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Dumb question:  Other than BFC getting lots more love & money, what advantages do y'all see from Steam?  I get that purchasing is easier.  what else do you see that makes this good for existing BFC customers?  -- honest question, I really don't know the answer but given the excitement I am obviously missing something.

I used to use steam to play Assault Squad and COH, and I really didn't like how much Steam took over my computer, causing delays on startup.  Fortunately I found BFC and can no longer imagine why I played those very silly games.  My current plan is to continue to purchase outside of Steam.

For me, the biggest thing will be automatic patching, and also easy installation compared to having to hunt for and download installation files on a website.

Edited by JSj

47 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

• Automatic patching
  • Ease of install (don't need to login to BFC's website to download)
  • Still kinda easier from a DRM perspective. This would have been  a bigger win a few years ago when the Battlefront DRM was an actual pain in the ass.
  • It now sits alongside my hundreds of other games on Steam. Specifically under my wojna filter

This is actually a pretty big deal for me. Now when I'm bored I see Combat Mission right alongside Command Ops 2, Armored Brigade, Arma, Il-2, Hegemony, War in the East, etc... Previously Combat Mission was something I had to actively consider playing. As a result I tended to play other games far more often.

• I can remote play with folks
  • For newer players the Steam Guides system allows the tutorial in-game!
  • The steam guides system could also be used to more easily direct players to scenarios
  • Ideally we would get Steam Workshop integration for scenarios which would be fantastic but we're not there yet
  • Assuming Battlefront actually uses Steam for marketing I won't find out that a game releases months after it was published.

Seriously I didn't know Black Sea was out for nearly an entire year.

47 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

I used to use steam to play Assault Squad and COH, and I really didn't like how much Steam took over my computer, causing delays on startup. 

Yea if you are running a marginal computer then this can be an issue. I think my boot up time is literally 10 seconds... maybe less?

Edited by com-intern
clarity

6 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Greater cash flow = larger staff = more content?

Excuse my woeful ignorance, but will Steam allow me to play live CM games against real opponents in real time, as if I had a hot-seat opponent in the same room with me? This would be a huge advance for players like me who'd love to play against a human opponent but lack the patience and technical smarts (or patience to learn the technical smarts) to master PBEM!

6 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

Excuse my woeful ignorance, but will Steam allow me to play live CM games against real opponents in real time, as if I had a hot-seat opponent in the same room with me? This would be a huge advance for players like me who'd love to play against a human opponent but lack the patience and technical smarts (or patience to learn the technical smarts) to master PBEM!

You can/could already do that, although requires opening up ports in your router (not that difficult). The remote playtoghether allows coop but afaik not head 2 head play.

6 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

Check out this thread on how to do remote play in CMSF2 on Steam. Its actually really cool. Not perfect coop, but a lot better than anything else we have. 

8 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

A little user made app called "Who's Turn is it?" does an awesome job of managing your PBEM games. It's as easy as pie with that app. 

Just chiming in to confirm that there is no code differences between the Battlefront, Matrix, and Steam versions of CMSF2 other than what is necessary for different installation and DRM considerations.  This means people can play against each other no matter what version they are using.  Save games, scenarios, etc. can also be moved freely between all versions.

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to Slitherine for never, ever, even once questioning getting all you existing CMSF2 customers Steam keys at no charge.  We probably would have pushed them pretty hard if they had even thought of saying no, but it was never necessary.  That made us happy :)  Not having to ask, argue, or beg for basic stuff from them is a big part of what got us to ink the deal with Slitherine. 

Steve

I've caught a few vids by YouTubers popular for military strategy and FPS content showcasing the SF2 Steam release. They've all been quite positive. One guy with a strong presence in the Arma community went out of his way to comment that the AI in CM absolutely wipes the floor with the AI in Arma.

So far, so good. Congrats BF and Slitherine! -Looking very forward to the WWII titles getting the sunshine.