Exciting news about Battlefront and Slitherine

5 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

100-99,9999=0,0001
0,0001*7.800.000.000 = 780.000

7.800 just didn't feel right 😉

(lol I ain't no math grog)

Hah!  I thought 7800 didn't feel right to me either, but aside from not finding math "fun"... I can also be quite lazy when I put my mind to it.  Well, I personally would be quite happy with 780,000 being interested enough in purchasing CM so I'm good with that number.

Hmm... some of the changes to the UI please me, some annoy me.  I'm curious to see how that shifts after some time getting used to it.

Steve

11 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

There are actually people who have tried to come up with a theory of what makes a game fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Theory-Game-Design-Raph-Koster/dp/1449363210

Long story short, their idea is that all games are about presenting the player with a series of meaningful decisions. If the decisions are not meaningful - important to success or failure -  the game is not fun.

In a racing game, decisions will be to turn left or right, and how much to accelerate or brake. In Combat Mission, it might be how to assault a hedgerow position or a village - a decision that is in itself broken down into more and more subdecisions.

One of the reasons CM is so fun (for a certain type of people like myself) is that it forces me to make a myriad of decisions, and that it punishes me really hard if I overlook something important. The tactical decisions are meaningful.

Interesting!

From there I'd say the question is what kind of decisions people feel meaningful?

Easy decision with nice graphics

Hard decision with no graphics

Hard decision with nice graphics

etc.

My brother unfortunately thinks CMx2 is like 'work', although he is still studying and didn't really have 'work' until now. So how can he know? 😉

I liked CMSF because it wasn't dull clicking with easy solutions / predictable decisions, but solid thinking and knowledge of tactics/weapon systems, etc, required. And the sandbox simulation aspect allows thinking outside of the box, whatever works, works.

That's fun for me. 

Although the 3d presentation, TO&E fidelity and quite reasonable graphics were important to me as well. 

Edited by Lethaface

Well, looking back at the challenges BF faced with the fans that somewhat turned into enemies, has in the long run proven that BF made good decisions and those that tried to tear them down were unsuccessful in their vengeful actions.

The game is still a masterpiece for what it is and there is plenty of us that see it for that. 

I am confident that we will see more come into the ranks with this new available platform as to purchasing the game.

the only thing that is sad is that it has taken this long to make it available on such a platform. But then on the other hand, it has not actually been all that long since CMSF was updated to CMSF2. So maybe the timing is not all that bad.

Now if they could just make enough money so they can relax and really focus on the next level of the game and come out with CMx3 with all the insights they have now gathered over the years.

6 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

Is it just me or did the forums just change?  The layout looks different and the ability to edit a post seems to have dropped to less than a minute after posting or something.

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Noticed the update too. Seems to be a new UI.

Not liking this random change to the look and feel.

Even shorter editing time is also not welcome...

14 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Hah!  I thought 7800 didn't feel right to me either, but aside from not finding math "fun"... I can also be quite lazy when I put my mind to it.  Well, I personally would be quite happy with 780,000 being interested enough in purchasing CM so I'm good with that number.

Hmm... some of the changes to the UI please me, some annoy me.  I'm curious to see how that shifts after some time getting used to it.

Steve

The quite backfill colour is a bad idea, it makes it difficult to read the text.

1 hour ago, Alchenar said:

The quite backfill colour is a bad idea, it makes it difficult to read the text.

+1 Whoever is responsible for this needs to think again, black text on blue is a poor choice, grey text on blue even worse. There seems to be no way to choose alternative colours. Please fix or revert to old colours ASAP.

15 hours ago, Lethaface said:

100-99,9999=0,0001
0,0001*7.800.000.000 = 780.000

7.800 just didn't feel right 😉

(lol I ain't no math grog)

After some head scratching (I ain't no math grog either) and contemplation of the importance of what was a notional precentage from Steve anyway, I feel obliged to return to the above calculation :).

Steve said '99.9999% of the world's population would find Combat Mission "not fun"'

That means 0.0001% would find it fun.  0.0001% of 7.8 billion is 7800.  The % makes all the difference, well 2 zeros difference to be precise.

@Lethaface I think your version misses the % as it calculates the number out of 100 and then mulitiplies by the 7.8 billion?

Of course being a notional figure it matters not, so apologies to those who may have fallen into a deep sleep whilst reading this.

I have mostly played CMx2.  I own them all, including Afghanistan.  I played a little bit of CMx1 back in the day, but nowhere near the same extent.  I have been gaming since the early 80s.

I am finding, as time goes on, that I am being drawn more and more to games in which the underlying board game (or miniatures) rules are still evident.  For example, I play quite a bit of Field of Glory 2.  For me, it is more "fun" than CMx2, whether single player or PBEM.  I can't put my finger on it, but it is something to do with that old school combination of detailed rules, Action Points, terrain rules, consideration of your opponent's options, etc that draws me in, in a way which CMx2 just doesn't seem to manage.  Lock 'n' Load Digital is another one.

There is obviously plenty of complexity available in CMx2 which has always been a big draw for me.  However I think one of the problems is that I only play single player so my intricate bounding overwatch, house assaults etc are never matched by anything I see the AI do, so it can start to feel less like a wargame and more like a RTS title.  Hopefully the Steam release will enable me to get some friends interested in multiplayer.

Edited by Jock Tamson

13 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Not liking this random change to the look and feel.

Even shorter editing time is also not welcome...

Periodically we're prompted to update the forum software. Yesterday was one of those days. It seems to have changed more than normal. I'll play around with the backend and see if the editing time can be changed the background color of quotes.

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Periodically we're prompted to update the forum software. Yesterday was one of those days. It seems to have changed more than normal. I'll play around with the backend and see if the editing time can be changed the background color of quotes.

EDIT is still available.  It is under the three dots on top right of post.

Edited by akd

47 minutes ago, akd said:

Huh, mine is not timing out.

Yeah, apparently the time to edit was increased from when I tried it yesterday.  I was doing it while all the upgrades were happening though so it might have been related to the upgrade process and not necessarily whatever time was assigned for the allowance of edits.

28 minutes ago, ASL Veteran said:

Yeah, apparently the time to edit was increased from when I tried it yesterday.  I was doing it while all the upgrades were happening though so it might have been related to the upgrade process and not necessarily whatever time was assigned for the allowance of edits.

I just set the edit time to 2 hours. It was set at 60 minutes.

I'm working on changing the color of the background of quotes. I was getting an error message while trying to change the color and I just heard back from them that it isn't "end user error" (which I had assumed). There is a bug that causes the error. So, it won't be changed right away but don't start falling in love with the blue because it's going to change as soon as the fix is done. I'm thinking a light gray would be nice.

7 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

After some head scratching (I ain't no math grog either) and contemplation of the importance of what was a notional precentage from Steve anyway, I feel obliged to return to the above calculation :).

Steve said '99.9999% of the world's population would find Combat Mission "not fun"'

That means 0.0001% would find it fun.  0.0001% of 7.8 billion is 7800.  The % makes all the difference, well 2 zeros difference to be precise.

@Lethaface I think your version misses the % as it calculates the number out of 100 and then mulitiplies by the 7.8 billion?

Of course being a notional figure it matters not, so apologies to those who may have fallen into a deep sleep whilst reading this.

You are correct. I had a beer and think correctly. 😅🤣

0,0001% is same as multiplying something with 0,000001. But 780.000 sounds better 😇

53 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

You are correct. I had a beer and think correctly. 😅🤣

0,0001% is same as multiplying something with 0,000001. But 780.000 sounds better 😇

Agreed beer is the answer my friend.  Or wine.  Anyway what matters is that we have fun with the game and BFC makes a living 😉

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I just set the edit time to 2 hours. It was set at 60 minutes.

I'm working on changing the color of the background of quotes. I was getting an error message while trying to change the color and I just heard back from them that it isn't "end user error" (which I had assumed). There is a bug that causes the error. So, it won't be changed right away but don't start falling in love with the blue because it's going to change as soon as the fix is done. I'm thinking a light gray would be nice.

It’s hilarious because they left the text select tool almost the same color of blue.  Good luck editing in a quote box!

I demand the new color be Flat Dark Earth!

Edited by akd