CMBN - Scouts Holding Fire

Hi all - Is there any way to stop Scouts (or any other troops when comes to it) firing when they spot a target? I'm hoping to be able to get them to just observe and not give give their position away by shooting. Can't seem to find a way to do it though except stetting an arc of fire in direction where there are no likely targets, but I'm not even sure that they won't override that. Any clues?

Andy

Edited by Andymac53
Spelling mistake

3 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Try using hide combined with a short arc of fire, however the soft settings such as experience and motivation will sometimes cause the tac AI to override those commands.  Nevertheless, most people seem to find that these commands should solve your problem.

Thanks Combatintman, I have been playing around with hide, but they lose that state if you inch them forward crawling through bocage or similar. Hadn't thought of the length of the arc of fire though - only been using direction, I'll give it a go!

Set the arc TOWARDS the direction to which you want them to observe/orient. Make it short, but not so short that they won't respond to an ambush. Say, 20-60 meters.

They MAY fire back if fired upon by units outside that covered arc, depending on their suppression level, morale state, and experience level.

Using HIDE will make most of them stay heads down, and only one pop up and observe. The game rewards more eyes spotting, so I would not use HIDE. (I will use it if I am setting an ambush, not if I'm trying to create an observation post.)