Cherbourg map for repository soon.

Looking good so far 🙂...

I realize that these pictures are very early stage...but do you have a plan for adding some undulations to the map ? 

If you do plan to add some elevationchanges to the map (some city blocks on higher ground and some on lower) it might be a good idea to get the elevations about right pretty early on in the mapdesign...

Also besides the bigger picture high- and low grounds even the slightest change in elevation for some of the tiles...for various reasons...might be a slight hill in a park or perhaps slightly lower terrain next to a river for example...or a pile of rubble... changes as small as 1 meter for whatever reason brings a bit of life into the map....anything that avoids a completally flat map is very welcome imo...

I guess that you might very well have these things under controll...😊

But if this is one of your first maps it might be easy to forgett about the elevation part of things....

21 minutes ago, Erwin said:

...true... unless it actually is completely flat terrain, which by the sea may be possible.

True 😊

But even a flat city is very rarely completally flat like a pool table...

Even if there are no 20 - 30 meter hight differences within the city some small undulations (1-3 meters) are very likely to be present at some points throughout the city i belive...

5 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Looking good so far 🙂...

I realize that these pictures are very early stage...but do you have a plan for adding some undulations to the map ? 

If you do plan to add some elevationchanges to the map (some city blocks on higher ground and some on lower) it might be a good idea to get the elevations about right pretty early on in the mapdesign...

Also besides the bigger picture high- and low grounds even the slightest change in elevation for some of the tiles...for various reasons...might be a slight hill in a park or perhaps slightly lower terrain next to a river for example...or a pile of rubble... changes as small as 1 meter for whatever reason brings a bit of life into the map....anything that avoids a completally flat map is very welcome imo...

I guess that you might very well have these things under controll...😊

But if this is one of your first maps it might be easy to forgett about the elevation part of things....

I was thinking exactly that... Down by the harbour is a nice open spot next to the railway line to add some piles of rubble or ballast etc.  Would look good I'd say. 

There will be some elevation points.  As Cherbourg has a huge hill at its entrance with an old fort on it. I've only started today and was really enjoying it. I build on what I've got and then slowly expand the size of the map so it's easier to work with depending which direction I go in. 

Thanks for your input. It all helps!

Bubba

3 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

I build on what I've got and then slowly expand the size of the map so it's easier to work with depending which direction I go in. 

Sound good...

A word of caution though ! If you sometime during the development change the actuall size of the map (increase or decreae the lenth or width of the map)...be aware of the fact that any flavoured objects that you have placed on the map will change with it ! And I believe the same goes for troops deployed on the map in their starting possitions...(but i'm not 100 % sure on this one).

It can be very frustrating if you have spent many hours on carefully placing flavoured objects and then ones you increase the size of the map they gets moved out of place 😖...

This only hapens if you change the map in two direktion though...i belive it is if you increase the map to the east or south IIRC...

The othet two direktions have no affect on flavoured objects (or troop placements)

Looking forward to the finishen map...new content for Normandy is always welcome...

Thanks ! 😋

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

Sound good...

A word of caution though ! If you sometime during the development change the actuall size of the map (increase or decreae the lenth or width of the map)...be aware of the fact that any flavoured objects that you have placed on the map will change with it ! And I believe the same goes for troops deployed on the map in their starting possitions...(but i'm not 100 % sure on this one).

It can be very frustrating if you have spent many hours on carefully placing flavoured objects and then ones you increase the size of the map they gets moved out of place 😖...

This only hapens if you change the map in two direktion though...i belive it is if you increase the map to the east or south IIRC...

The othet two direktions have no affect on flavoured objects (or troop placements)

Looking forward to the finishen map...new content for Normandy is always welcome...

Thanks ! 😋

i will certainly test that out before proceeding to far in

revised terrain based on your input, i see what you mean. a meter here or there certainly changes it enough to not look drastic as back in CM1 days lol... main area that i've added some to is the beach and church area..might be hard to see..

CM Normandy 29_07_2020 06_12_10.jpg

CM Normandy 29_07_2020 06_12_25.jpg

CM Normandy 29_07_2020 06_12_44.jpg

CM Normandy 29_07_2020 06_13_14.jpg

13 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but some of the buildings you are using were introduced in Market-Garden and might have the infamous door entry bug. Perhaps that would be worth testing out before you get too far into this project.

Nothing that the Royal Navy and a 16" gun can't fix ...

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but some of the buildings you are using were introduced in Market-Garden and might have the infamous door entry bug. Perhaps that would be worth testing out before you get too far into this project.

Could you explain a little what happens etc and I will stop and test now. 

4 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

Some of the four and five story buildings have a door entry bug. Rather than going through the door, troops will enter the building through the side wall. I think it happens mainly with the tall houses that have a single round window in the roof space. When they are on their own it isn't too big a problem. But when they form a row, it can result in troops going all the way around the block to enter in through a back door.  

4 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

5 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Some of the four and five story buildings have a door entry bug. Rather than going through the door, troops will enter the building through the side wall. I think it happens mainly with the tall houses that have a single round window in the roof space. When they are on their own it isn't too big a problem. But when they form a row, it can result in troops going all the way around the block to enter in through a back door.  

They're some of the buildings in the second image in your second post containing pictures.  They're in the Independent Buildings buildings set in the editor.

3 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

Here's a question. When you edit the walls of a building. If you leave it with no wall showing. Does it also actually act like that? Like just an open side for troops to get in. ?

It's a complete opening like a large room. It's also an ad-hoc way to make a vehicle garage at least visually since vehicles can't enter buildings. There is no way to remove floors from a building to create vertical space in a building.