LAV-AT-A2 LOS

I am playing one of the later missions in the CMSF2 Marines campaign where I have access to both the a TOW Humvee and a LAV-AT-A2. When positioning the LAV on the same spot as the Humvee it seems the LAV has shorter line of sight. Is this to be expected or has anyone else have similar experience?

Forgot to mention this was with the 2.03 patch although I started the campaign way earlier.

Edited by stikkypixie

• 2 months later...

I noticed this as well. I think that ther is a bug with tha LAV-AT in that it is missing it's IR optics. I built a simple mission in the editor with a bunch of Syrian vehicles at one end of the map and some LAV-AT's, TOW humvees an Canadian LAV TUA and a few unarmed vehicles at the other end. The two sides are about 1100 m separated. The weather is clear. I ran one setup at 11:00 and one at 23:00.

In the mission at 11:00 all the TOW equipped vehicles immediately begin spotting the enemy vehicles. The unarmed vehicles spot the enemy fairly quickly as well.

In the night mission the TOW humvees and the LAV TUA have no problem spotting the enemy contacts real quick. The LAV-AT never spot anything. LOS for the LAV-AT stops at 400ish meters.  The unarmed vehicles (or rather the dismounts) have LOS of approximately 1000m, which I assume is the limit of the night vision gear being modeled.

LAV-AT test day.btt LAV-AT test night.btt

There may well be a LOS issue with the CM2 system.  Elsewhere I noted that a two man scout with no binoculars or any other optical aids was able to easily spot a tank at 2,500m+ with only eyeballs, but an FO or HQ with binoculars or targeting tech could not.   Even when placing the FO and HQ and a scout in the exact same spot, the scout spots in under 2 minutes, while the FO and HQ still have not spotted after 6 minutes. 

The C2 system is also a problem since the units should be able to communicate with each other - but they do not.

Jav teams seem to spot ok.  Not sure about snipers.

Edited by Erwin

I don't think the LAV-AT issue is caused by an underlying problem with the LOS system. I setup two further missions with the roles reversed: a bunch of blue vehicles at the one end of the map and some Syrian militia forces at the other, so no NVG present. In daytime the Syrian forces immediatley spot the blue vehicles. In the night scenario they don't spot anything. LOS for the Syrians stops at the same 400m as for the LAV-AT.

This does seem to point to the LAV-AT missing IR optics.

In HIghland Games it was usual that a scout with no binoculars (but with night vision) could spot an AFV at 600m even at night, whereas an FO or HQ (with night vision + binoculars and/or high tech) could not.  When I moved a Warrior on top of the scout/HQ/FO combo, the Warrior had no problem spotting enemy AFV's.  But, there is something wrong with the way FO's and HQ's are portrayed as after several minutes, they still could not see what the scout and the vehicle could see.  Nor, was there any communication between em all.  

Am sure BF is fully aware of these spotting and C2 issues.  But, maybe it's too big a problem for CM2 and we'll have to wait for CM3.